Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 14-05-2006, 10:45   #1
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Did Snape help Lily . . . or did Lily help Snape

OK, this idea sprung from some thoughts in another thread. It seemed nearly obvious to me that there must be some type of connection between Lily and Snape. Sluggy continuously praised Harry's potions work, stating that he seemed to have his mother's flair for potions . . . BUT, he was actualy using notes in Snapes writing, in Snape's old potions book. So, if Sluggy saw a similarity in Harry's and Lily's methods, there HAS to have been some type of connection with Lily And Snape.

So, did Lily give Snape helpful hints, tutoring, etc. or was it the other way around, Snape helping Lily? Or . . . do you think it just coincidence

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 11:52   #2
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Did Snape help Lily . . . or did Lily help Snape

... no such thing as coincidence in the Potter Books!

I am in whole hearted agreement with you on this one - Lily and Severus used to be potions buddies!
I would even go as far as to say they might have had a thing together when they were younger - as mentioned before not full on relationship but perhaps boyfriend and girlfriend when they were younger - we are told we will find out something shocking about Lily and imagine Harry's disgust if he ever found this out!

But that is wild spec - going back to subject, I think it is a real possibility that Lily and Snape shared potions classes and maybe even shared the same desk!
Imagine if it was Lily that told James or one of the Marauders about levicorpus!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 15:50   #3
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Oh absolutely agree-no coincidence on that! I think it is pretty clear Snape and Lily had more of a relationship than the small amount of canon we have been given-I'm wondering the same thing SPF! Was Lily even more gifted than the HBP at potions? Or was Lily extraordinary because of Snape...hmmm-seems tied to revelations coming about Lily-and perhaps her job.
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2006, 19:00   #4
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

We don't have any clues at all on who could have helped who, but, personality wise . . . I'm leaning towards Lily helping Snape. She certainly seems like the good hearted type that would help anyone who needed it. Although I could be wrong, I just can't see Snape offering to help someone, especialy not a mudblood Gryffindor. again, could be wrong.

Lily and Snape as boyfriend/girlfriend . . . ehhhhhhh . . . I can see the possibility, and certainly would shock Harry to say the least . . . but, give him quite a bit more insight into Snape for certain.

Lily giving Harry the levicorpus spell . . . I can't see that one. I don't know how gifted she may have been in charms, can't say if she may have helped Snape come up with it or not, certainly isn't what I would call "dark" just a good practical joke. I am certain that she would have had no part in levicorpus however. Whether or not they had a "relationship" I just don't think it would have ever been her that would have given the marauders Snapes levicorpus spell. I think perhaps, Snape may have used it, and once heard . . . (and, yes, I am implying that Snape may have also had trouble with nonverbal spell casting at first. Most likely why he was so picky to get Harry to do better at it, in his own snideish way)

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 00:31   #5
Lily
Wingardium Leviosa

Yep, I would agree with some sort of afflilation between Snape and Lily. The theories we have here are certainly good ones... I reckon that Lily could've possibly helped Snape with potions, maybe not fully, because I could not imagine Snape being a struggling potions student, but I would say that they may have helped each other develop their skills.

As for a relationship between the two, I think it would be that Snape had a crush on Lily, and Lily did not feel the same way. Snape probably thought that he and Lily had a connection over potions, and he mightve revealed his feelings for her, but when he got rejected, he lashed out, and that was why he was so rude to her in OoTP - calling her Mudblood.
Old 15-05-2006, 03:12   #6
Luna
TFH Graduate

I like the thoughts here and have wondered myself about what kind of relationship Snape and Lily had. However, I can't believe they were ever romantically involved, I just don't see it, but I do wonder if they grew up together pre-Hogwarts which would mean that Petunia knew Snape too - I like the possibilities that throws up..... I still wonder if Petunia was talking about Snape when she refers to that awful boy in OOTP. But I digress!...

I agree that they probably worked as partners in Potions; Two gifted pupils developing their skills seems very plausible.

If it has to be one helping the other then I'd lean towards Snape helping Lily, after all he couldn't have said 'I don't need help from filthy little mudbloods' if he'd been receiving help from her in Potions, even though at that time he was refering to her 'saving' him from James and Sirius.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 08:17   #7
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

I think it is possible that Lily and Snape were in potions together adn struck up a friendship. I really do not think one helped the other though. I think they were both good students and respected each others abilities.
Old 15-05-2006, 09:19   #8
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

You guys are all wrong.. Harry was adopted by James after Snape refused to marry a filthy mudblood just because she was carrying his child. Yeap folks, Snape is.......... HARRY'S FATHER!!!!

Seriously though, a relationship between Snape and Lily that James interupted would be an EXCELLENT reason for Snape to hate James and Harry so passionately. I read somewhere that JKR said the 7th book will reveal a big surprise about a staff member's spouse.. What if? I don't see them being SERIOUSLY romantically linked, but one can never tell.
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 12:06   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

That was kind of my reasoning on suggesting this very controversial claim - for Snape to have lost out to James in such a major way would really hurt and destroy Snape - someone he really liked, maybe loved - heading off into the sunset with his tormentor and bully - imagine that pent up hatred and anger?
I think that is why Snape lashed out at Lily - he could see the way the winds were blowing and that James obviously liked her - but strange is at this time (i.e. Pensive snapshot) she thought James was a prat!
JKR did say Snape was loved by someone once - I just wonder couple that with the big shocking revelation about Lily .... and imagine Harry's disgust that Lily and Snape were once and item!

BTW - good observation Luna - would suggest the Potions Master was the leading person in the duo - so Lily was getting help from Snape ....
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 12:09   #10
ashgunn
I'm a N00b

My first post here so apologies if I reference something that was already covered.

My take on the Snape/Lily connection is that Snape was secretly in love with Lily but knew he had no chance. He hated James that much more for ending up with her and being what he couldn't be to her.
ashgunn is offline   Reply With Quote