Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 09-06-2006, 08:20   #1
Hermione
Auror

Harry after the fall of Voldemort

Here's a bit of exploration. Let's say Voldemort dies and Harry lives. Now what? What will happen to Harry? All of his life at Hogwarts he's been chasing dark wizards and fighting and now the big guy is out.
Old 09-06-2006, 13:01   #2
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Harry after the fall of Voldemort

Harry will have to go on. I think if JKR killed Harry off in the end after all the poor kid has been through, she would be blackballed, honestly.

I'm sure that when Harry dispatches Voldemort, he will become, in the eyes of friends and enemies alike, the unquestionable hero we have always known.

I actually wrote a little fanfic I haven't revisited in a long while regarding Harry's life many years in the future.

http://www.thefinalhorcrux.com/forum...49&postcount=1

As I said, as long as the poor kid has suffered, the ending of the story will have to be his reward, not his end.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:40   #3
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I think we all are hoping and expecting Harry to survive, and I think that JKR said somewhere (and of course still not being concrete) "the three will survive". leading us to all believe anyway that Harry, Ron, and Hermionie will both live . . . that given, and at least assuming that he does live, he will have to do something with the rest of his life. The first thing that comes to mind is that he would become an auror . . . but with Voldemort gone for good, (and he will have to be or she couldn't possibly end the series) that may not be such a challenging occupation as it once may have been. If Ginny has survived, I think it likely that they will marry have kids etc. Harry may very likely be asked to teach DADA at Hogwarts, and I think he would do quite well and be very happy with that. and could keep doing that since Riddle's curse on the position would be gone.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:49   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

...JKR also said no-one important will die in HBP - and then we lost someone quite important ...
I think JKR could never come out and say one of the three will die - or if any of them will survive and be totally honest as it will ruin book 7 - and as I said above - she has lied before in order to keep big plots undercover!

So - I dont think he will survive - I think he will die at the same time as Voldemort - well actually just after - one has to die at the hands of the other - well Voldemort will die at Harry's hands - Harry will then take his life - or as I see it - he will did it at the same time - take Voldemort's last remaining piece of soul with the horcrux part he holds ...

But - just in case he lives - I think he will become and auror and will spend his life like Dumbledore - always looking over his shoulder for the next emerging Dark Lord ... We know of 2 so far - I am sure another will emerge and Harry will be there to step in like Dumbledore and take up the fight - or lead another to complete the nessesary!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:56   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
But - just in case he lives - I think he will become and auror and will spend his life like Dumbledore - always looking over his shoulder for the next emerging Dark Lord ... We know of 2 so far - I am sure another will emerge and Harry will be there to step in like Dumbledore and take up the fight - or lead another to complete the nessesary!
well . . . didn't Dumbledore teach at Hogwarts too? I don't think Harry has to be an auror to watch out for a new dark lord to show up . . . and when you think about it, Dumbledore was well placed at Hogwarts to watch out for new and rising dark wizards . . . like Riddle! Right?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 11-06-2006, 08:10   #6
dancer2006
Hippo Lover

I agree with Alz on Harry dying. I don't have any hardcore facts I just don't see the books having this completely happy ending with Harry living and marrying Ginny and having kids, etc.

As far as what Harry will do... I don't see him becoming an Auror if he lives. He has just had way to much trouble with the ministry. Both Fudge and Scrimgeour have given him a hard time. I think he will teach Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts and later possibley become the Headmaster. Dumbledore's man through and through, he will follow in his foot steps.
dancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Problem is - Harry isn't a great academic - he has only got as far as he has with the great help of Hermione ...
The one thing he excels with is magic - and that is why I think he is more likely to become an auror than teacher ... aurors jobs are to track Dark Magic and he would be well placed to see things coming ...

But, I think Harry is only as good as he is because of this link to Voldemort (I wont say the obvious - that is another thread ) but I do wonder - once that 'link' is severed and removed - will Harry still be just as clever?
I think if he isn't going to die - he is going to loose his magical powers - he will be left a Muggle ... JKR needs to remove the fact and demand for more books - take away any leads for another book will conclude the series and ensure closure ... that is why him dying makes good sense but not adverse to him being reduced to a Muggle!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 11-06-2006, 10:53   #8
notposs
TFH Graduate

I can just see it now ... Ron and Harry both in the same classroom teaching DAtDA, and Hermionie as head teacher...

"To the Dark Lord I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. R.A.B."
R.A.B - HBP p569

notposs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 15:56   #9
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
But, I think Harry is only as good as he is because of this link to Voldemort (I wont say the obvious - that is another thread )
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
but I do wonder - once that 'link' is severed and removed - will Harry still be just as clever?
I think that is giving Harry a severe disservice! Harry may not have phenominal skills, but I can't ever see him as a muggle again. We know that Harry absorbed some of Voldemorts "inborn" skills, like parselmouth etc. but I think that he certainly would have had adequate skills of his own, his parentage suggests that he would be likely gifted. Yes, he relied on Hermionie for alot of the bookish stuff, but his DaDa skills were his own and he ability to teach it well was his as well. so . . . yes, I think he could teach dada at Hogwarts. Even if Voldemort's "gifts" leave him at Voldemort's death, I think Harrry will be more relieved to be "normal" again.

_Willy Wonka

Old 12-06-2006, 11:16   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Umm - see I can understand what you are saying about his parentage - but that is no guarantee that he will follow in their footsteps ..
Lets fact it - Lily appeared to be a 'one off' Wizard in her muggle family - James was from a pureblood background. While he has pedigree to his blood - there is the unexplained Squibs - having magical folks doesn't guarantee you a magical child ...
I think Harry might have been mediocre at best - just like Snape says - he is exceptional because of the fateful night and Voldemort giving Harry some of his powers - I still believe that is why that wand chose Harry - it could sense Voldemort in him!

Still - I'm not opposed to him becoming a teacher - you are right he did a good job with the DA - I just don't think he has what it takes to be a great Professor - a few years as an auror will set him on that path - give him the practical experience to go with his aptitude in the field!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536