Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 12-06-2006, 12:06   #11
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: Harry after the fall of Voldemort

I can condeede to your argument about squibs, it does happen, there is just no way of knowing what "would" have happend differently, because even if he turns out not to be a Horcrux, we still know that some of Voldemort's powers were transfered to him. And . . . yes, I guess if you could say that magical powers have a "resonance" of a sort, then it is likely that that is what the wand tuned in to in choosing Harry.

As far as his "mediocre" abilities go . . . how much of that could have been atributed to not having the privilage of being raised in a magical environment. We have seen that Harry indeed struggled early on, but then caught up and exelled in some areas. Face it, though Snape did his best to thwart Harry in potions, Harry did still receive an outstanding in his OWL. Perhaps he was a late bloomer?

I have no problems with him being an auror for a period of time before teaching, I agree that it will hone his skills, and give him not only practical "practice" but also some experience and respect as a teacher when he does become one . . . and besides, I don't think that any witch or wizard ever taught immediately after graduating. The first reason given to Riddle for not being accepted as a teacher was that he was too young, and Harry would be a few months younger at graduation than Riddle would have been.

OH, and one more thing . . .

This is my 1,000th post!!!!!!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 04:47   #12
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

If I remember correctly, Harry will have powers the Dark Lord knows not (oh yeah, why would someone prophesize 'the dark lord' if they aren't a death eater?)

I do concede that it may have been Neville, so the power may be that which was given to him at that moment, but if Harry was born a squib...When do they find out that someone is a squib? It is entirely possible that Harry had no powers until that night.
But how awful for him if he kills Voldemort only to find his own power completely stripped away! Or, on the other hand, he could find he absorbs the rest of Voldemort's power...
Old 14-06-2006, 11:31   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

First off - WELL DONE SPF on the 1000 posts - that is awesome!
Lets hope we see many more!

Going to Kasher's post first - given what Harry has of Voldemort so far - I think he got a good deal - to absorb more of him might only lead him down the same path as Voldemort - that is what is so cool about that night - he took Voldemort's powers but has never been seduced by power - that means his own essence is still very much in control ... and that is what sets him apart from Voldemort!

And to SPF - I'm not sure Harry was a squib - although that would be a nice twist - when he finally rids himself of whatever he has of Voldemort's - he is left magic deficient!
Actually - I am liking that a great deal now I read that back!
I think if he does have abilities - he needs some life experience to go with his aptitude in magic - so I think Auror then Professor would be good for him - after all Dippet rejected Riddle on the basis he needed more experience ..
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 14:03   #14
Angelis
TFH Graduate

I always thought jkr would kill them both off , the harry would sacrifice himself to save the wizarding world, but in a recent interview jkr said she reprived one of the charactors,so you never know he could live, also i know jkr did also say she didn't want anyone else trying to carrying on her books after shes gone , which is another reason i thought she would kill off harry. but you never know.
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 18:46   #15
dustin410
TFH Graduate

I'm thinking that at some point after Voldermorts downfall, Harry will become the HeadMaster. Granted, McGonagall is the HeadMistress for the moment, but I think that will change when he, Harry, kills Voldermort.

As for him being a squib, I seriously doubt that he ever was. Some of Voldermorts power was bestowed upon him, yes, but he was chosen long before he was ever born. It was his destiny to fight Vodermort & his followers. He would need to have great magic to do all that. He already has a lot more power than full grown wizards.

When it's all said & done, I think all the main characters will Live. I don't see Snape living though. I think Harry's going to kill him as well. I'm thinking Snapes a Vampire anyways. Several books have hinted at this....but that's another thread.
dustin410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:47   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

..the prophecy talks of Harry's powers being something more than magic - and also Voldemort marking him as an equal - there is no mention that Harry was or is an extraordinary wizard ... his strength comes from his suffering and loss and Voldemort being the person that caused it ...

Much is made of Harry's extraordinary skill - but we also know he took some of Voldemort's powers that night - I just wonder if Harry really is mediocre at best just like Snape says ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 12-07-2006, 13:48   #17
dustin410
TFH Graduate

Maybe. I don't think so. It's just my opinion though. I'm not saying Harry is the best of the best, I'm just saying that he is powerful. More so than most grown wizards. As I've said before. He can cast a lot of spells that most people can't...including Hermione. She's book smart for sure though. Very clever, her.

A lot of people are talking about Harry having powers that the Dark Lord knows not. Didn't Dumbledore say that that power was love? That's why he couldn't stay in Harry's body that long when he took it over?

......it's good to be back. I've missed this place.
Old 18-07-2006, 14:07   #18
Angelis
TFH Graduate

i'm not sure either way on if jkr going to kill harry or not, shes said 2 main characters die but she did reprive one, but harry would be happy dieing he will be with all the people who he loves, but if he lives could he live normally this boy who has had so much to deal with along the way fighting voldemort, i dont think harry could just sit back ,get married & have kids
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 14:40   #19
dustin410
TFH Graduate

Where do you all get your news from? I can't finf any news concerning the seventh book....aside from this site of course.

Anyways, if two main characters to get killed off, I hope it's Draco or someone else from Slytherin. I'll be mad as hell if it's any of the Weaslys or Hermione.
Old 22-07-2006, 09:56   #20
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think leaving Harry standing after Voldemort departs just seems to spell a doomed future - almost like Dumbledore - trying to live a normal life but always looking over his shoulder for the next Dark Lord to arise ..
He may even choose a single future - because to have a partner or even family will render him a weakness for if a new Dark Lord does arise.
That is why I think he may not have a future after Voldemort - and if he does it would just seem right it is away from the magical world ...
I think the reason Dumbledore was like what he was is because of the same situation - he vanquished a Dark Lord and was always looking for the next one to come along - he ensured he kept himself away from others that could be used against him as a weakness ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536