Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 16-10-2006, 07:19   #1
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Where did Snape learn it all?

Sirius says "Ever since I found out Snape was teaching here, I've wondered why
Dumbledore hired him. Snape's always been fascinated by the Dark Arts, he was famous for it at school. Slimy, oily, greasy-haired kid, he was," Sirius added, and Harry and Ron grinned at each other. "Snape knew more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in seventh year, and he was part of a gang of Slytherins who nearly all turned out to be Death Eaters."

But where did Snape learn all of this dark magic? Not from his father thatís for certain. That presumably leaves his mother, Eileen Prince and her family whoever they are.

Any suggestions?
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 08:35   #2
keeron_man_boy
Accio Deathly Hallows!!

Re: Where did Snape learn it all?

umm well snape was abit of a loner so i think he wouldve been by himself most of the time trying new things.. hence his potions book filled with spells and whatnot

i think he was just gifted and didn;t have anything else when younger
Old 16-10-2006, 09:22   #3
Ravenclaw
TFH Graduate

Intriguing Question!

Like Voldemort and Harry, Snape seems to have had a natural gift for Magic, perhaps even more of a gift thatn Harry OR Voldemort. In my opinion, Snape has more power than Voldemort...I believe that Dumbledore had something to do with it.

I like to think about Snape actually being somehow related to Dumbledore in some way...Dumbledore always trusted Snape implicitly and never seemed to waiver from his trust. I still believe that Snape did not "kill" Dumbledore (at least not out of spite). Either Dumbledore faked his own death or he and Snape planned it.

If you think about the timing and the age of the the people involved, it is possible that Snape could be the son or grandson or the nephew of either Voldemort or even Dumbledore.

Part of me still believes that Snape has been too prominent in all of the books and too "seemingly" evil and bad to Harry to not play a major role in the final book. I believe that we will all discover that Snape is indeed a "good guy" and will perhaps come to the aid of Harry in the end.

We don't know much about his lineage but we do know that he (for 6 years) fooled one of the two most powerful wizards (either Dumbledore or Voldemort - perhaps both). Very interesting question!
Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 19:38   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Snape seems to have been raised in an enviroment where he was threatened - we saw a glimpse of this maybe during one of his flashbacks - taking it was him that was the crying child ...
Then we have his apparant bullying at school - I think he was destine for a life where he would seek power and strength given his submissive upbringing ...
I think he took a shine to Dark magic as a mechanism for equalling the playing field - he saw it as a strengh he could use to bring him level and higher than his peers ..
Where did he exactly learn it - well I would say from books - he is a reader kind of person in my mind .. more importantly was why and that is why I offer up the above to try and show why he would have developed that desire to go looking ...
The school library is filled with books on dark magic - only some subjects were considered taboo such as horcruxes - I think he spent his youthful years looking at magic that could level the odds in his favour .. given his past it was no wonder why he joined the DE's and Lord Voldemort - it gave him power and control by proxy!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 12:16   #5
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I agree fully Alz in respect of Snape using the Hogwarts library but what about before he came to Hogwarts when he already “knew more curses . . . .than half the kids in seventh year.” The memory flashback shows his mother, a witch, cowering from his father, a muggle. It does not seem that Eileen Prince was powerfully magical, and certainly not into the dark arts. Could Eileen Prince have given up the use of magic as Merope did?
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 12:33   #6
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

Where di Snape learn it? her's my guess...

ok, i thin kSirius was probably exaggerating a little bit when he said that "Snape knew more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in seventh year..." because, think about: how would Sirius know unless he hung out with Snape? and we know that he didnt. I think Snape is a bit like Hermione. She knows many spells and constantly has her nose in a book. but the major difference between Hermione and Snape is that Snape didn't have many (if any) friends when he was in school. so, while Hermione studies alot of her time, she also spends alot of her time with Harry, Ron, and her other friends, and Snape probably spent most of his time behind the books, learning everything he could about magic and how it worked. thus, he was able to create many spells. he was probably drawn to the dark arts because thats where the greatest power rested. we know Snape created the levicorpus, liberacorpus (counter to levicorpus) and the sectumsempra spells, and i am pretty sure if Harry searches the margins of Snape's old potion book, he will find many more curses and jinxes, maybe a few he can use in his fight against Voldemort.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 19:55   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Where di Snape learn it? her's my guess...

I think to Snape, Dark Magic gave him an edge over his peers ... not many people dabble in the Dark Arts, it is considered taboo ...
By trying to master these, when he was confronted and attacked, he would have extra weapons in his arsenal ... and we have seen that in the flashbacks to Snape in the books ..

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 22-10-2006, 03:23   #8
Meagan091484
I'm a N00b

There is much to be said for the quiet loner type. They do tend to read and experiment more. My guess would be that Snape not only read books on magic, but language too. Alot of the spells used have roots in latin and other old languages. So even if he was not exposed to much magic as a child, he still had axcess to other types of books too. Explains why he is good at potions also, with books on plants and agriculture he learned about the ingredients used in them.

Folk magic uses the same basic knowledge. Curanderismo is a perfect example. If you get the chance, read Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya. Sorry, a little off topic but interesting none the less.

Back to my point..... I agree that his mother probably was not the one to teach him much, being submissive and all. His father doesn't seem like the type to let that happen. However, he may have found some of her old school books and being a bookworm, read and studied them at an earlier age than most Hogwarts students. Plus his determination to prove that he was better than his peers, made it a point to excell at everything.

Just my opinion, and I have LOTS of those!!!
Old 22-10-2006, 08:00   #9
nymphadora
TFH Graduate

Snape was likely a very gifted child who was as everyone said pushed into submissiveness by his muggle father and therefore probably spent a lot of his time hiding in his room reading and though his mother was probably not magically powerful, it doesn't mean that Snape couldn't get access to magical books (as Meagan091484 said, his mother's school books, but they weren't totally cut off from the magical world, so he could have gone to a bookstore or a library and got books) and learned a lot about the dark arts. Possibly to fight his father? And this led to him being very knowledgable in the dark arts when he started at Hogwarts
nymphadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 19:19   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

You know actually I see Snape as almost the school nerd, he was always remarked as having greasy hair - head stuck in books - bit of a loaner ... and of course was picked on by other students.
I think all of that combined was the real making of Snape versus anything else we have read or seen.
Kids are brutal at school, even in real life - I think Snape is what becomes of some people when they are bullied through out their school life and filled with enough hatred at what they were subjected to.

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536