Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 09-01-2007, 17:49   #1
Arwan
TFH Graduate

Mrs Riddle

Were is she buried? Perhaps Godric's Hollow? Perhaps the missing Horcrux has something to do with her? anyone have any idea's
Arwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45   #2
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: Mrs Riddle

You meant to say Merope Gaunt, right?
I hardly believe that she can be at Godric's. There hasnt been any indication to her relating Godric's Hollow. I also think that Voldemort would not have chosen Merope's grave for any purpose. Because he didnt kill her, nor does he want to be known as her son. He doesnt even want to be related to Gaunts. All he cares about is the Slytherin heir in himself.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05   #3
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Also from what we are told of her death, basicaly as a "Jane Doe" of sorts, it is likely she was buried in a common or mass grave that would be untraceable.

Her story is so tragic . . . I wish that JKR could go back and maybe write a short story about her life from her point of view. Kind of a Cinderella story gone bad

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28   #4
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

SPF, agreed. Her story is tragic in a way how she was treated by Gaunts. But not tragic at all, when she hood winked Riddle Sr. with love potion, and went off with him, only to realize the mistake later, and confess her deeds.
I would not be surprised if JKR told us more about her or her family in book 7, but my instincts tell me otherwise. I think Voldemort wants to wipe her off his life pages, and wants himself to be known simply as heir of Slytherin.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:22   #5
Ron
TFH Graduate

Yeah, I think we may have seen the last of Merope. The idea of a "cinderella story gone bad" is a nice one though.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 17:59   #6
Jenelle
Supreme Mugwump

Well since looking at the anagrams thread thats all I have been seeing lately...Merope looks to me like Pore Me(Poor Me). I just dont really feel sorry for her...well she did have a bad childhood and just wanted to get away from it but she did ruin Toms life... I think that the only way that we will hear from her again is if harry looks into Dumbledores pensive and sees some more memories from it...
OotP movie comes out.
AND
Deathly Hallows is released.
I cant wait!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 14:24   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well, see, you say she ruined Tom's life (didn't specify which Tom though) I don't think in either case, though, she had intended that at all. Merope grew up with very little love if any in her life. We don't know what happened to her mother, another reason for a little more info on her. But from what I read, all she wanted was to be loved. Yes she chose Tom Riddle, every girl wants her prince charming, and felt she had to do what was necessary to get him. Perhaps she even invisioned living a normal "muggle" life with him at some point. But then when she was rejected by him all her hope for any happiness died. Merope was left with with a half blood child that wouldn't be accepted by her family, as she herself would not be. Yet . . . for some reason she waited till Tom jr. was born before dying herself. I believe she intended to die, but wanted to let the child live, she made certain of that by going to the orphanage to give birth. Not certain what her motive for that was . . . perhaps hoping that he would have a better life than she? Perhaps hoping that Tom sr. would take him to raise upon knowledge of him? There is just so much more we could learn of her story than was in the pensive.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 06:22   #8
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

I think that at some point, before his megalomania took utterly over, Tom Riddle Jr may have had a soft spot for his mum, the one who gave him the power, the link back to Slytherin.

Didn't he used to imagine his father fondly, when he was a child? (I'm sorry; I've gone to Korea by mistake, and don't have any of the books with me). If so, then surely once he realised that she was the one who made him special he would have been interested in her?

Arh, perhaps not. He is an evil bugger, after all. Probably just despises her for her weakness, letting herself die.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 10:47   #9
Jenelle
Supreme Mugwump

SPF, I can see what you mean about her just wanting to be loved and all but I dont think that giving someone a love potion and tricking them into marriage, a baby and a life together is the way to go about it...however she didnt have very good role models. Did we ever hear about her mom? Maybe she died in child birth with her(I think she was younger than morfin?)
OotP movie comes out.
AND
Deathly Hallows is released.
I cant wait!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 16:18   #10
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

I am so interested in the character of merope, and i think the idea of her dying instead of trying to stay alive for her son and harry's mom dying to save him will be important. I mean why else would j.k provide all the backstory on her? j.k never puts anything in for no reason.
She died at the orphanage, so i guess she is buried near there? i mean would the orphanage have their own graveyard for any children who died?
I dont think voldemort would think her special/imporant enough to be a horcrux, he only has the locket because its a slytherin heirloom and something he saw as 'his'
The imporant thing to mention here is that Voldemort has NO feeling/emotions of any sort, because we all have these things we like the idea of him having 'soft-spots' for things, but this just isnt the case if anything he 'cares' only for power and eternal life, i mean who else would kill so carelessly and split their soul?
Also dumbledore doesnt know for sure if it was a love-potion that merope used on riddle, its just something he thinks is the most likely option, but then it could have been the imperius curse