Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 15-01-2007, 10:53   #1
Dunky
TFH Graduate

'power greater than all other'

Probably a silly 1, but everyone thinks the power harry possesses is love........what if it is luck behind the door in the d.o.m.! he has got out of a lot of scrapes by sheer luck.
Dunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 12:51   #2
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

Re: 'power greater than all other'

you know, you might just be right. luck is at the same time wonderful and dangerous (i.e good and bad luck) and luck itself can go either way. i believe the power behind the door was described by dumbledore as being both "more wonderful and more terrible than any other force" so, it very well maybe luck.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 13:21   #3
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Exclamation Re: 'power greater than all other'

Maybe luck, and Harry certainly has bucket loads of it!.
However luck seems to be a subject pretty widely understood in the wizarding world, Slughorn's "Felix felicus" springs to mind.
If it was a force "more terrible than life and death" and worthy of being kept locked up for good, how could wizards have mastered it?...
Old 15-01-2007, 15:51   #4
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

the same arguement can be made for love, how could wizards have ever mastered love? afterall, they have no way of actually producing true love, only potions (and possibely spells) that only induce infatuation, Amortentia comes to mind. maybe there is something that is more tangible that harry has more of that is locked behind that door?

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

Old 15-01-2007, 16:54   #5
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I am not sure that luck resides in the heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledore. OotP
`There is a room in the Department of Mysteries,' interrupted Dumbledore, `that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities and which Voldemort has not at all. That power took you to save Sirius tonight. That power also saved you from possession by Voldemort, because he could not bear to reside in a body so full of the force he detests. In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you.'
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 12:01   #6
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

ok, so maybe the power is not luck, but it could still be something other than love! after all, it could have been any emotion, a feeling of loss for instance. i can see dumbledore saying that a feeling of loss is both wonderful and terrible, terrible because you feel sad, but wonderful because that feeling reminds you that you are human and helps you heal. it could be an emotion, but that still begs question of how the wizards got an emotion trapped behind a door....