Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41   #61
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Whose side is Snape really on? **SPOILERS**

Well it has been suggested more than once that the books should be Harry Potter and the enigma Severus Snape .. because Snape is so wound into the story it is untrue - I think his part in the series is even bigger than Voldemort's - after all each time something fundemental has happened in the series - you find a link to Snape - which is why you can not dismiss we will find out in book 7 he was in or around Godric's Hollow that night.
I think there is a lot more evidence Snape is helping Harry - not also in a co-operative manner of course - than hurting him or keeping him from succeeding - I'm still think it is because of Lily more than his relationship with Dumbledore - but both have potential to make Snape willingly risk his oily hide on a daily basis!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:46   #62
miller
Lurkers

Has anyone been to www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com? I think this very interesting website would answer alot of questions raised in this forum. I beleive that while dumbledore is begging he is begging snape to "appear" to kill him. I don't beleive that snape did kill dumbledore and at very worst badly injured him.

Firstly, when dumbledore was struck by snape "killing curse" he spun backwards in a spiral, quite unlike any other time we have seen advada kadavra used, also does anyone remember what dumbledores phoenix was doing after its master's death? Are we all forgeting the magical properties phoenix tears possess?

So No! Snape is Not Evil! And Dumbledore is Not Dead!
Old 07-10-2006, 13:32   #63
Dunk
I'm a N00b

The reason I jioned this forum was because I thought there was something a bit fishy going on with the whole thing of DD begging Snape for his life - I tried to convince a young reader of the books that DD had asked Snape to kill him, but was met with the obvious response. " No WAY"

DD - "There are worse things than death"

Snape and DD had apperently been arguing during HBP and Snape is alleged to have said" I won't do it" (or somehting close to this).

Could this be the thing of which he spoke.

My vote falls with DD having ordered this - or atleast been forced into the position of knowingly allowing it if things went pear shaped.

and snape - he'll come good in the end and as said above - I'm sure we all hope he gets his just deserts anyway.
Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 13:34   #64
Dunk
I'm a N00b

Second and most obvious continuation to this theme is - Could DD have a horcrux??.
Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:17   #65
ginny4eva
Lurkers

NO! No, no, no, no and NO! He's not evil.
If you read back that passage, it actually says "for the first time Dumbledore was begging". You can interpret that as begging not to be killed if you like but I don't honestlty thnk from what has been shown so far that he is that weak. I would interpret that as begging not for mercy on himself but for mercy on Draco.
He is in effect beging Snape to kill him because in doing so he is saving Draco from having to and if Draco doesn't kill him there is still a chance for him to do the right thing.
So, Snape isn't evil he was still acting on Dumbledore's orders to the very end.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:00   #66
Hermione2
I'm a N00b

I must agree with finnegan! the fact as i think we all need to remember is Dumbledore is a most powerful wizard and a very acomplished legimens.
He knows everything!

I don't think Dumbledore would ever have pleaded Snape for his life.

I think he was pleading with Snape to continue helping Harry on his mission to destroy the remaining Horcrux's and kill Lord Voldermort which is what caused the look "there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face" at the though of having firstly to kill Dumbledore and secondly at having to carry on in dumbledores footsteps with Harry who we all know is not Snapes number one person.

Ron dropped his wand. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher?[/color]

That would be Hermione's advice: Go straight to the headmaster of Hogwarts, and in the meantime, consult a book.
Hermione2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:12   #67
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Has anyone been to www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com? I think this very interesting website would answer alot of questions raised in this forum. I beleive that while dumbledore is begging he is begging snape to "appear" to kill him. I don't beleive that snape did kill dumbledore and at very worst badly injured him.

Firstly, when dumbledore was struck by snape "killing curse" he spun backwards in a spiral, quite unlike any other time we have seen advada kadavra used, also does anyone remember what dumbledores phoenix was doing after its master's death? Are we all forgeting the magical properties phoenix tears possess?

So No! Snape is Not Evil! And Dumbledore is Not Dead!
Welcome to the Confusing state.
I think you are a bit behind. JKR mentioned during her reading in New York, that DD is done. No more....
I would guess that she wouldnt lie to us on that sort of important stuff.
So yah, Snape did kill DD, but so many things have to be explained to prove Snape's real intentions. I and most of the fellow members here think that he was ordered by DD himself to cast the curse.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:18   #68
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione2 View Post
I must agree with finnegan! the fact as i think we all need to remember is Dumbledore is a most powerful wizard and a very acomplished legimens.
He knows everything!

I don't think Dumbledore would ever have pleaded Snape for his life.

I think he was pleading with Snape to continue helping Harry on his mission to destroy the remaining Horcrux's and kill Lord Voldermort which is what caused the look "there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face" at the though of having firstly to kill Dumbledore and secondly at having to carry on in dumbledores footsteps with Harry who we all know is not Snapes number one person.
..and once again another post on the site that seemes to get hold of the whole essence of the topic and sum it up!
I would have to agree with every point made there and it mirrors my sentiment exactly!

Hey and CC - dude, all those people post OoTP that still think Sirius is behind that veil taking a shower and will walk back through a la Dallas ... you think the small detail of JKR blowing the premise of DD still being alive out of the water will stop others believing the opposite
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 15:43   #69
Sevstrueluve
I'm a N00b

Angry

Oh, come on, people ! From the start Albus Dumbledore has trusted Severus Snape completely. HBP probably has the most clues to support this theory. In the beginning he is asked to perform an Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa and Bellatrix was to be the binder. Joanna made us privy to Severus's thoiughts and feelings upon this. Professor Snape was really reluctant in undertaking the UV. but, once it was made, don't you think that Severus would have told Albus as soon as he could? As for the conversation in the forest that Hagrid overheard, Severus was reported as saying that " . . . he didn't want to do it." It was refering to the UV that he made with Narcissa. Meaning he didn't want to kill anybody, let alone, Albus, whom he trusted and, probably loved like a father. Essentially, Severus Snape is good, but, in a moment of extreme weakness, chose the easy path, not the right path. Something made him take the Mark. (That would be a great thread to start, by the way.)
Up in the tower lightening struck. We all know that Severus, as well as Albus, were highly skilled Leglimens. Unfortunately, Joanna did not make us privy to their unspoken conversation. Why do you think Severus looked Albus straight in the eye ? Severus did not want to die. But, I am not saying that Albus did. A good strategist will give up what he can to save his queen and his king. In this instance, Severus Snape would be the Queen chess piece, and Harry the King. Albus knew he had to die for Severus and the two boys to live. As for the actual killing, I do not believe he was killed by the Unforgiveable. The AK is a shot of green light and the victim falls down onto the floor, usually with a stunned look on his face. Expelliarmus brings the wand out of it's victim's hand and sends them flying backwards. Professor Snape was very good with nonverbal spells. If someone with a good heart was forced to kill someone that he didn't want to would he not try to use a spell that wouldn't really harm the person versus actually harming the person ? I know I would, if I was placed in the situation. Would that make me evil ? Now, would that make Severus evil ? Why would he do that to save Draco's life ? Not to mention, Harry's. Why would he try to save Harry's life if he had the opportunity to take him out ? That sounds like something that Albus Dumbledore would do, what he did do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Gonagall View Post
I think Snape is still a death eater. Like Sirius Black said be for no one stops being a death eater.
Has anyone once they have recieved the mark regretted it before ? We have to keep in mind that Professor Severus Snape, Potions Master is a double - agent. He serves a Lord of Light and a Lord of Dark. The only thing that Severus lets the Dark Lord see is what he wants him to. The dark mark is only etched on one's skin, a tattoo, not on a person's soul. Look at the " Lightening Struck Tower " chapter in HBP. He did not want to finish what Malfoy had started.

Last edited by Alz; 07-11-2006 at 12:58..
Sevstrueluve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:45   #70
jburden
/**}\ 1st Renegade /**}\

There are many indications in the 6th book that show that Snape was not wanting to kill Dumbledore...if you see it that way of course.

One scence I remember was when Harry was returning from somewhere...and he overheard Snape and Dumbly Arguing. My guess, as with many others after reading the 6th book, is that the time was soon to come when Snape might have to strike the final blow to Dumbledore. The context of their conversation suggested to this, so its not just a wild speculation.

Dumbledore knew that Malfoy would not finish it and was asking Snape to. I'm guessing Dumbledore wanted someone, even Snape, to be able to tell of the movements of Voldermont.

The second scene of course is as a above member mentioned, where in the tower he still was reluctant to kill Dumbledore. Also the fact that Dumbledore was not at all surprised about it as it was. Dumbledore has always trusted Snape as far as we are concerned, so this lack of surprise or utter emotion even for a wizard like he is not likely.

(It's been awhile...like a year since I've been on the boards. >.>. I'm going to have to reread all the Harry Potter books so I can start my thinking machine again and start boosting some ideas for you guys to critize. No idea if any old members are left)
jburden is offline   Reply With Quote