Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 24-02-2006, 15:47   #11
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Re: Draco Malfoy: Dead Or Alive

Point taken, Alz. Sorry! You are right. So, it certainly does make the idea of redemption even more likely.
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 03:37   #12
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Just wanted to add a quote from JKR that I came across while researching something else

TLC/Mugglenet interview- "He's shut down compassion-how else would you become a deatheater? So he suppresses virtually all of the good side of himself. But then he's playing with the big boys, as the phrase has it, and suddenly, having talked the talk he's asked to walk it for the very first time and it;s absolutely terrifying. And I think that is an accurate depiction of how some people fall into that kind of way of life and they realize what they're in for. I felt sorry for Draco."
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 08:33   #13
Tonks
Unspeakable

They do say that anything is repressed can be brought up again, although its quite a struggle to bring it back. However, the fact that she said that he still has good in him definitely supports the Draco, Redeemed Theory.

The quote from HBP says that Harry believes Draco wouldn't have killed Dumbledore. I get the feeling that Harry realized that if Draco was going to kill him, he would have done so right away.. and not sat around and talked with Dumbledore.

I don't really think that the Malfoys will just fade into the background. At the very least, Harry will be confronted by him as a Death Eater in book 7. However, I do think that at some point at the very end he will be faced with having to make a choice (possibly defying Voldemort against killing someone / stopping him from doing so - be it Harry, or maybe one of his parents / Crabbe or Goyle) and he will choose to do the right thing. Harry won't all of a sudden like him, but he'll have the same sort of understanding with him that he did in OotP with Snape. He'll realize he's on his side. (Disregard the fact that Snape certainly doesn't seem to have truly been on the Order's side here. )

I think Alz had a point there about the children's morals thing. I don't think JKR can turn him into a cold-blooded complete killer and leave him there to be killed and let there be no pity at all. At the end of it all, he's been introduced as a kid and is still seen as one..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 15:25   #14
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

I think Dumbledores offer of redemption to Draco will ring in his ears throughout book 7, and, loath as he is to help Harry, I think Draco will be less willing to help Voldemort. I can see Draco not so much helping Harry, more defying Voldemort/Snape at a crucial time to give Harry an opportunity to land a critical hit. I dont think Draco will do this for redemption, more to ease his own conscience. ( self serving in other words )
As the quote in O.o.T.P. says. Harry feels that Draco wouldnt have killed Dumbledore, and I dont think he would, because he didnt WANT to kill, he felt he HAD to kill, ( the chioce was'nt Draco's, it was Voldemorts ) to save the lives of himself and family.
I suppose Draco can pay in other ways for being a berk, and doubt J.k.r. would punish him too harshly, he is, as you said Tonks, still percieved as a kid.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:05   #15
Arwan
TFH Graduate

I also agree. I don't think Draco is bad at all, I think he is merely trying to live up to an over bearing father who thinks very little of him. He tries very hard in the first two books to please his father who always seems dissapointed, He acts big and bad to his friends because that is how he thinks he should be to make his family proud of him. His anger towards harry is because Harry has all he has tried to obtain. I think that he was forced to be a death eater to redeem his father in the eyes of Voldemort and he did this to save his mother and to make his father proud of him. In the end I believe he will turn on his father and help Harry defeat Vouldemort.
Arwan is offline   Reply With Quote