Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Poll: Is RAB Important?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Is RAB Important?

Old 24-02-2006, 12:54   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Is RAB Important?

Perhaps I should clear up what I am suggesting ...
RAB has some back story and an identity, of course the uncovering of those are important ... but I was suggesting the actual real important facts about RAB isnt so much about him, after all he is suppose to be dead ... and if he is Regulus then we do have a certain amount of backstory ...
What I am suggesting is important is the real horcrux, who now has it or where it is and if there was a second person, could he be the guiding light and thus the important one in book7 ... of course mind goes to Snape if this was the case because of how the books are setup - Harry needing Snape to get a horcrux would blow the mind with possibilities ... but also we have a thread on this very subject that halliemei nicely fuelled for me with her fantastic observations and thoughts ...

What I am suggesting is RAB/Regulus seems to offer limited scope - but I will contradict myself and say if RAB is Regulus and he is proved to link in with his Dad's death ... then RAB/Regulus could be huge!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 16:26   #12
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I voted yes, only because if it was Regulus and an unknown, the fact they did what they did shows that not all of the bad guys are afraid enough of Voldemort to stand back and not take action against him. JKR gave enough clues to the fact that there was more then one person there the night they stole the locket. As for the potion being replaced - I'd say it's a magic potion and basin. What could be the most important is not the potion, but the basin itself. Maybe the basin refilled itself after R.A.B drank the potion and removed the locket. After all, whomever knew enough about Voldemort and his Horcruxes also knew he didn't have to possess them in order for them to work.

Once hidden, he would never need to go out and look for them in order to activate them, so R.A.B. would not have filled the basin with a potion meant to kill Voldemort. I believe the basin was filled with the potion at the same time the locket was placed there and it was charmed to refill itself after the person drank part of the potion, lost their mind, and wandered into the water with the Inferi.

We saw the effects of the potion on whomever drank it, so Voldemort, being the solitary person he is would have thought that any "one" person who might try to track down his secret would not last long enough to drink all the potion and take the locket. We saw how Dumbledore lost all sense of who he was and where he was. If he'd been alone, would he even been able to force himself to drink all the potion, take the locket and then leave the cave on his own accord? I doubt it!

R.A.B. had to have other motives for stealing the locket at the risk of his own life. The letter left with the locket gave the writer sole credit for the theft of the locket, but in no way does it indicate that the Horcrux inside was to be destroyed. Maybe the importance in R.A.B. is not so much who they are, but why they did what they did and what role their actions will play in the final book.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 04:48   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Wow - guess I am still the one solitary person that feels RAB isn't that important ..

I think you made a few good comments there - one of the main points to support multiple people there was because of the potion - there was no way a single person could have taken the 12 goblets of potion and still be around enough to extract the horcrux and get back across the water...
This is what makes me wonder - in complete wild spec - if the 'jumper' in the cave was RAB ... perhaps he had to get a drink of water and ended up inside the lake ... would certainly make it harder for Voldemort to get it out of there ... but there is a thread for that and I don't want to digress

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 28-02-2006, 13:16   #14
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

re: The second "person"...

What if......... it was Kreacher? Think about it.. Who would have been a perfect helper for finding the horcrux? Who could he have used and abused however he saw fit? Who, when a "heavy locket no one could open" recovered it from the trash and kept it among his posessions asi if protecting it? Yes, I believe Kreacher was RAB's second, and I believe the locket found in GP is Voldemort's horcrux.

Write it down folks, you read it here first
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 23:18   #15
Blanche A. McFusty
TFH Graduate

Kreacher is an interesting suggestion. I -did- read it here first.

I agree with you, Alz, that RAB is not as important as the implication that someone has messed with Voldemort and his existence. After reading your post I realized that I had not voted, ...so I did. You know, as with other pieces of puzzle that Rowling reveals, RAB will probably unravel a string of "ahas" and "oh mys" as we learn new secrets and threads of discovery.

I have actually resigned myself to the fact that RAB could very well -not- be Regulus. The idea of figuring out who else might be applicable, though, left me kind of bored and uninspired. I don't know. Maybe I just don't have it in me to figure it out. Nevertheless, here's what is exciting about the stolen horcrux.

Voldemort is fallible and Harry has the evidence of "how so" in his possession. That note is a clue for Harry about how to capitalize on VMs weakness. All he has to do is follow the lead (RAB) to get him there.
Blanche A. McFusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:23   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vold. E. Mort
re: The second "person"...

What if......... it was Kreacher? Think about it.. Who would have been a perfect helper for finding the horcrux? Who could he have used and abused however he saw fit? Who, when a "heavy locket no one could open" recovered it from the trash and kept it among his posessions asi if protecting it? Yes, I believe Kreacher was RAB's second, and I believe the locket found in GP is Voldemort's horcrux.

Write it down folks, you read it here first
Sorry - sadly not - a few other people were guessing kreacher just after HBP came out and the RAB debate was in full effect ...

I think the beauty of the situation we find ourselves in is - what exactly is important information that requires investigation?
There is still so many unanswered questions and I am sure many will remain just that - but JKR had to find a way of keeping people talking but not stumble across anything that would make a real leap into what to expect in book 7 - ergo a few red herrings .. I still feel the identity of RAB could be looked at as this - afterall it is the other 101 questions surrounding RAB and how he got to that stage and after that is really important now ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 08-03-2006, 14:03   #17
Angelis
TFH Graduate

yes i think he is & i have been re reading ootp & have found that when there clearing out grimmauld place they come across a locket which they are unable to open , so did r.a.b distroy the horcrux ?
i wonder if he found any more horcruxes.
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:53   #18
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Quote:
If RAB is Regulus Black do you think maybe kreacher asisted him in getting the locket out of the cave?
I made that comment a few posts up from you

I think it is a possibilty only because he would have to do what Regulus says as he is honor bound as a house elf.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:53   #19
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Although my gut says that Regulus did this alone(I think he left the potion), while Kreacher is a possibilty, there are plenty more-
Snape-is his animagus a phoenix?, he's a master at potions, was a deatheater w/Reg, he knew the prophecy, he's fooled Voldemort for a very long time...etc.
Sirius-his animagus is a dog, he's Regulus's brother, and he has alot of mystery still surrounding him
Orion-What do we know? nada! He died the same year as his younger son though.
Yikes! We sure have alot of suspects to ponder Also it seemed that Dumbledore had been to that cave before, why would that be?
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 13:06   #20
Angelis
TFH Graduate

i'm dont think so now & i dont think he distroyed the horcrux,as i said in another post that when they found the locket at grimmauld place they couldn't open it.
so maybe jk just put it in just to lead us a stray
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote