Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 03-12-2005, 07:00   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Question Snape's House Guest?

Why did Snape end up with Wormtail as a house guest?
I mean - thinking about it logically he would be in the presence of Voldemort and not Snape ... me thinks Voldemort was a little shaky on trusting Snape.
By having Wormtail hanging around he could monitor the comings and goings of Snape - I always remember Snape saying Wormtail had taken to listening at door and doesnt know why...

Thoughts?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 16:21   #2
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Re: Snape's House Guest?

I agree that it is likely that there is just a bit of mistrust. . . Maybe V did it at the suggestion of Belatrix? She was determined to prove Snape a traitor to Voldemort. She was literaly eating her cookies when Snape agreed to the unbreakable vow. I believe now that in V's and in B's eyes, Snape appears loyal. . . we will see, won't we!

Another possibility. . . Peter Petigrew is a sniveling, troublesome, anoying. . . RAT! I wouldn't want him around me any more than Voldemort would.

Although it wasn't Wormtail's idea to be there, with his tendancies, he might preffer to be with Snape. Wormtail always went with whoever he thought would be victorious, and he knows that Snape is "in" with both factions. so if he stays with Snape, he is also ensured to be on the "right" side when all is said and done. . . at least he thinks so.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02   #3
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I posted something similar in another thread, but here goes!

Wormtail was with Snape, probably because he had no where else to go. Voldemort no longer needed him and didn't seem to care much for him to begin with. I don't think he could go home to his mother considering she received his finger in a box and thought he had been dead for the past fifteen years.

I don't think it was because he was set to spy on Snape as I don't think Voldemort would set Wormtail to such an important task if he thought Snape was hiding something from him. Sure, Snape caught Wormtail snooping, but I think it was probably more for his own benefit. If he could get some dirt on another Death Eater, maybe he thought it would put him in a better light with his master. Maybe Wormtail saw how much Voldemort did trust and respect Snape and was jealous, sort of the same way that Bellatrix seemed jealous of Snape's relationship with Voldemort and the fact she was no longer his most trusted.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 13:03   #4
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Fortescue, You know I was thinking maybe Peter was there to make Snape a bit nervous, but your idea makes more sense. Besides that it made me smile I have to say in this instance I agree with Voldemort. Who the heck needs Peter around anyway?!
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 20:31   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

YOu know there is another reason that Voldemort wouldn't send Wormtail to spy on Snape. . . I am assuming that Voldemort knows that Snape is an exelent legilimens, and there is just no way that Wormtail could hide his "snooping" from Snape. So even if he is'nt doing it on Voldemorts orders, he still won't stand a chance of being successful in his quest to please his master.

Something that just hit me here. What if Snape or Voldemort think they can get a handle on Harry by finding out more info on James through Wormtail. I'm sure that he would have already offered what he knew, but perhaps it was thought that there might be other memories that Wormtail has "forgotten" that Snape could access. That sounds a bit out there but, it was just tickling my imagination.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 05-12-2005, 06:13   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I still get the feeling this was a loyalty test with the added extra that Wormtail could observe Snape's coming's and going's ...
By asking Snape to house Pettigrew - it ridded him of having the guy shuffling around but gave Voldemort a chance to test Snape - see if he would house him and also have another pair of eyes on a person he wasnt 100% sure on ...
I suppose it served a multitude of sins to have Pettigrew there ... also meant that Snape could have kept an eye on Pettigrew for Voldemort!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 05-12-2005, 20:36   #7
gumshoe
TFH Graduate

Perhaps it's a little Voldemort mind-game: Snape and Wormtail, wondering who is to spy on whom. It fits quite nicely with Voldemort's character, doesn't it?

Voldemort doesn't trust either of them. Wormtail could think (hope) that he's there to keep an eye on Snape, and Snape could think (hope) that Wormtail's there so he can watch him...ugh, icky sentence, but you follow my meaning...It would be a way for Voldemort to keep them both in check, without having to do anything himself. He'd get reports on both of them, from both of them.
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 21:02   #8
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

YOu know Gum. . . "icky" sentance and all, I think you have it. It's perfect! Each thinking that they are watching the other. PERFECT! You know, for an evil dude. Voldemort can be pretty bright sometimes.

_Willy Wonka

Old 06-12-2005, 05:57   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Agreed - fits in with how Voldemort trades off his servants against each other by having them cling to the claim to fame they are his most trusted ... we all saw how Bellatrix was reacting in Spinners End ... I think it also helps Voldemort control them - each one willing to kill another if they thought it would carry better favour with him ..

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 06-12-2005, 11:12   #10
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

It's a tricky ploy, and, works quite well for him. Thing is though, in the right circumstances, it could backfire like crazy! I don't think I would want to be Voldemort when the stuff hits the fan. . . immagine multiple DE's firing crucatious spells at him at the same time! And he thought "pain beyone pain" was bad!

_Willy Wonka