Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-04-2005, 18:49   #1
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

Dementors, enough to give you the creeps!

The first time I ever saw a dementor, it reminded me of the ghosts I'd conjure up inside my head growing up in our big old house. My bedroom was situated right at the top of the stairs on the landing. The landing was always kind of dark and it had creepy dark little corners. I can remember running up the stairs and sprinting
into my bedroom before "they" could get me! I suppose I was guilty of an overactive imagination or something.
Haley's Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 10:55   #2
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

Re: Dementors, enough to give you the creeps!

thanx God, i never saw one.... or it would have been a really hard time for me...
i have a very conscious kind of mind and i nearly always remember whatever wrong i have done, whether its speaking hard to anyone or scolding one of the kids in my class.... this i think could be the worst possible punishment for a person. so better not have it.
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 12:26   #3
Tinkerbell
Graduating

I seem to remember JKR saying that is how she imagined the Dementors to be when she 'created' them - like the monsters under your bed! I think the creations for the movie were great, really captured the eerie, sinister, lifeless nature of the creatures described in the books.

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 13:59   #4
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

Horrific creatures! Just what every kid loves...
Being faceless is one of those things that just gets under my skin (there's a female black American artist that paints 'nice' family scenes of people with loads of detail etc, but none of the people have faces, just smooth, featureless fronts to the heads and I find that MOST disturbing!!), and the relentless, pittyless demeanour of them is unnerving. Add to that the idea that they can, will, and seemingly enjoy, sucking out your soul - your very essence, and leave you as little more than a walking corpse is just awful; a VERY frightening concept for a 'childrens' book - more suited to Clive Barker methinks!!
And brilliantly realised in the film...I loved the look, and the way that everything around them froze over...the flowers wilted and frosted, the water in a bottle froze, etc....and that sucking/rushing of air noise was chilling! The first time that they appeared on screen I must admit that I felt a shiver run up my spine, and a little thrill of horror, and I'm a 40+ year old seasoned veteran of hundreds of horror films; from the more 'gross' Romero and Lucio Fulci zombie films, through to the more chilling ghostly tales such as The Ring, and The Grudge!!
Old 16-04-2005, 14:27   #5
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Dementors remind me of the Grim Reaper - Angel of Death type thing - I imagine that's where JKR got the idea to begin with. Even though they don't particularly cause death, they scare you to death as the monster under the bed and thing in the closet does a small, scared child. The reaction to a Dementor could be looked upon as the same reaction a small child feels at that exact moment when the fear of what's in their closet climaxes within them - an all hope lost type feeling.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 15:24   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

JKR likened the Dementors to her depressions she was feeling at the time she was writing.
I think that of all things is the best way of describing them - they are just 'something' that causes the person in contact with them to be drained of all happiness and joy and instead are fed off the negative and destructive influences on the person - I guess anyone who has felt depression in any form could relate all too well.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote