Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Analysis

HBP Analysis A deeper and meaningful look at the details of HBP

Old 15-03-2007, 03:29   #1
Morfin Gaunt
dumbledores army

Nonverbal

is it not possible to use a spell while under a spell. as iv always wondered why harry when he had been immobilsed by dumbledore did not use levicorpus (scuse spelling havenbt got the book)
he knew he could do it non verbally.
* is the swish/flick of the wand essential ( like we learned with wingardium leviosa)
* was harry not being very bright
* or cant you use a spell while under a spell

What do you think guys
Old 15-03-2007, 03:55   #2
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: Nonverbal

I am almost sure that you cant use a spell while you are under petrificus spell.
Not only the wand movement is crucial, but your concentration on that spell should also play major roll.
I dont think one can be so fortunate to let a spell out, while laying frozen, unable to move even an inch.....

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 04:04   #3
tobias
TFH Graduate

I always assumed that the strength of the spell depended on the strength of the one who cast it. So if the spell on you was done badly or weakly you might, with enough force, break it. But if DD wants you frozen and he concentrated on it, I think you are stuck.
Old 15-03-2007, 17:24   #4
Boing
Pops in randomly

You can definitely do spells nonverbally without the swish - Dumbledore does this all the time - just pointing at things and making them happen (like candles lighting up and such).

However, I think that if you are under an immobilizing spell, that would make you fairly, um, immobilized

Also, Harry had other things on his mind at the time and might not have been able to think of all the things we could sitting on our couches at home. Not sure about being able to cast spells while under all sorts of other spells, though. Seems as though strength and type of spell would matter a lot in determining that.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 18:26   #5
jimbo716
TFH Graduate

How many wizzards stayed out of prison because they claimed to be under a spell or curse? These people all still had their full power. Didn't they?
Old 15-03-2007, 18:50   #6
frodobaggins
TFH Graduate

did harry even have his wand in his hand??
because if he couldnt move at all how could he have got it?
also even if he had had his wand in his hand you still have to be able to point it, and its very doubtful he had it pointed at the spot were malfoy was gonna be.
frodobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 06:41   #7
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

i checked last night (for another thread i was responding too) and it seems liek he did have his wand in his hand. and as far as not neeeding to move your wand to do nonverbal spells: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? you have to be! yes, you need to move your wand to do at least SOME nonverbal spells . afterall, when harry learns to do Levicorpus he has to think it AND flick his wand! it is in the spell recipe! Motion + Levicorpus (nonvbl) = Bam! Ron strung up in the air by his ankle. as far as the nonverbal spells we have seen cast by Dumbledore, i dont think all nonverbal spells need a motion, but there mayeb motions that are just not described because they are simple flicks you might not notice (like a slight twitch, or a motion that seems like ordinary movement like pointing) and not to mention not all dumbledore's nonverbal spells lack a motion: Big example: the spell that hit Voldy's shield so hard it resonded like a gong (despite the obvious dampening of sound that would come from it being attached to his arm)!!!!! the motion of the wand depends on the spell being cast. like, to levitate an object nonverbally, the swish and flick motion is most likely needed.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 20:13   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Not sure I fully agree L54 - Dumbledore and Voldemort can perform spells with no wand movements, I think it is down to the power of the wizard.
I think Harry displays strong magical powers under heavy duress but in the whole he is as Snape says 'mediocre at best' - he requires the high pressure environments to bring out his best.
Could Harry has performed a non-verbal spell - I would assume if he could be would have looked more at disarming Draco, the Death Eaters or Snape versus anything else - I think we have to assume from the scene he was immobilized to the point he didn't even think of it or try it - I think we was genuinely in shock at what was happening!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 20:31   #9
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz View Post
Not sure I fully agree L54 - Dumbledore and Voldemort can perform spells with no wand movements, I think it is down to the power of the wizard.
I think Harry displays strong magical powers under heavy duress but in the whole he is as Snape says 'mediocre at best' - he requires the high pressure environments to bring out his best.
And I'm not sure I fully agree with that. I think a wizard's powers need time to mature, and, as with any other talent, different people mature at different rates. I think Harry is likely a very talented and powerful wizard (hence the Patronus) who needs focus and maturity----perhaps it is the duress that brings it out in him at the moment, but I think that he will learn to harness and focus his abilities and become as strong as any wizard in his generation. Hermione is rarely wrong----JKR speaks through her when she wants to make a point of something---and Hermione says Harry is a great wizard.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 19:50   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think Harry will develop his skills and refine them with age but right now, he is lazy until such time as he is in a fix - then he pulls on experience and harnesses his full potential.
Snape was right - even if you look at Ron and Harry in classes, they are both average students. Harry even resorts to cheating with the half blood prince spells in order to get an edge, something Hermione was more than aware of.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote