Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Poll: Will Harry Die? (Not what you want but what you think!!)
Poll Options
Will Harry Die? (Not what you want but what you think!!)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 22-07-2006, 11:51   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Will Harry die?

..in my experience when someone says they are an expert and makes a call - they pretty much always get it wrong!
JKR is very much her own author and she isn't conventional and following conventional methods - as you said above she seems to have the bad guys being the victors on many occasions and if you are trying to shape the opinions and views of the masses - that isn't the stuff moral guidance is made of ...
I think she appreciated youngsters cope just fine with death and destruction - I mean hello video games!!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 12:10   #12
Flyboy
I'm a N00b

Hi, first-time poster, long-time reader here. At first I thought that Harry would be killed off, in a way, like others have mentioned just so that JK could finish it without any questions asked. But then I have come to realise that JK is on a bit of a mission lately, she's been standing up for her beliefs and speaking out in the press about how she would like her children to grow up in a normal sensible house etc.... So I got thinking that if JK killed harry off, that would mean that Voldemort would live ( i assume) and that is completely the opposite of what I think JK is trying to do with these books. I think she's trying to prove to young people that we can all be a bit like Harry and stand up to the badies in this world and be who we want to be. I don't think she'll kill Harry off. I think he will live.
Old 22-07-2006, 14:03   #13
Annamort
I'm a N00b

Location: I live in a secret location so that Aurors can't find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frozen North
Ok so we know that in destroying Tom Riddle's diary, the horcrux within was destroyed but similarly we also know that when DD destroyed the horcrux in the ring, the ring itself remained unharmed.
the ring was actually harmed. A crack had appeared down the centre of the stone.
Annamort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 11:39   #14
Alz
Head Unspeakable

.. but dont you feel if Harry is still left alive at the end of the book - we will all feel almost like there should be more?
I mean, will it be enough to say Harry lived happily ever after with Ginny and died a good old age?
We know that Dumbledore spent a large part of his life battling the evil forces of the world - now he is gone and Harry seems to stand as the new vanquisher - it seems he will also live a life looking over his shoulder - and just as Voldemort rose after the fall of Grindelwald - some start up will take the chance to rise from Voldemort's ashes ...
I'm not sure Harry living offers closure on the series - where him dying does with no doubts!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 24-07-2006, 13:49   #15
dustin410
TFH Graduate

Nah. He'll live.

It's not like the ending is going to be all peachy just because he lives. People will still have died due to Voldermorts wrath.
dustin410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 12:02   #16
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

oh boy. very interesting discussion here.
I personally think that he will die. I think he could also be a horcrux, and will have to sacrifice himself in the end to make sure there is no return for Voldemort. Then again as prophecy says, "He will have power, the dark lord knows not." Maybe his courage of sacrificing himself some how relates to that power.
As Dumbledore told Riddle in OTP. There are worse things than death. Maybe that worse thing is what Riddle is living. Maybe that worse thing is being scared of death. Maybe that worse thing is living a cursed life like Riddle is living.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 00:47   #17
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcactus
oh boy. very interesting discussion here.
I personally think that he will die. I think he could also be a horcrux, and will have to sacrifice himself in the end to make sure there is no return for Voldemort. Then again as prophecy says, "He will have power, the dark lord knows not." Maybe his courage of sacrificing himself some how relates to that power.
As Dumbledore told Riddle in OTP. There are worse things than death. Maybe that worse thing is what Riddle is living. Maybe that worse thing is being scared of death. Maybe that worse thing is living a cursed life like Riddle is living.
Maybe that worse thing is dying (or in deed living) knowing that you could have done something to prevent the suffering of others and not actually done it.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 02:12   #18
Alz
Head Unspeakable

..or of course worse than death is living with the guilt and emotion of what you have done - Voldemort operates the way he does because he is emotionally devoid of love and caring - with a little help from Harry he could be made to feel it - I just think it will require Harry to remove all the horcruxes - try to kill him - he re-births from the horcrux in Harry - and then has more than just himself back - he understands the inadvisability of using a live host for a horcrux because the live host taints the horcrux and he has a little of Harry (well known for his love and caring) inside his new self - and now has all these wierd and alien emotions he never had before - I think nature will take it's course and Voldemort will be unable to live with these new emotions!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 30-07-2006, 03:58   #19
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
..or of course worse than death is living with the guilt and emotion of what you have done - Voldemort operates the way he does because he is emotionally devoid of love and caring - with a little help from Harry he could be made to feel it - I just think it will require Harry to remove all the horcruxes - try to kill him - he re-births from the horcrux in Harry - and then has more than just himself back - he understands the inadvisability of using a live host for a horcrux because the live host taints the horcrux and he has a little of Harry (well known for his love and caring) inside his new self - and now has all these wierd and alien emotions he never had before - I think nature will take it's course and Voldemort will be unable to live with these new emotions!

Well that's it then, I guess there's no point in me reading book 7 then Just let me know if this turns out to be wrong and I'll go and buy my copy. (and if you beleive that, you'll beleive andything - nice theory Alz, one of the better ones I've come across)

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 10:24   #20
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Hey I have three versions of book 7 - you can have the wild guess, the really wild guess or indeed the 'utter out there' version - you are free to read and then see how it compares - I'm going with JKR will favour my 'utter out there' version ...
Don't worry - I have wilder theories - I still think there is a chance Harry is Voldemort ... that has to be my fav wildest one ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536