Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - Analysis

Deathly Hallows - Analysis A look deeper into the mysteries and clues resolved in the book.

Old 28-07-2007, 13:21   #1
Piper
TFH Graduate

Sorting Hat/Gryffindor Sword

How did the Sorting Hat get the Griffindor Sword from the Goblin?
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 18:46   #2
cj633
TFH Graduate

Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA but I love to travel by knight bus

Re: Sorting Hat/Gryffindor Sword

Well if it was able to get the sword in CoS I guess it could get it magically from the goblin. It was able to summon the sword or something. ( Big surprise to the goblin.) When I first read it I thought that Neville just used the fake sword, but I guess he would he need a magical sword to kill the snake since it was a horcrrux.
Old 28-07-2007, 22:39   #3
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

despite what goblins think about truly owning everything they make a true gryffindor can always get the sword, i can just see the sword disappearing from the goblins greedy hands and him shouting 'noooooo!'
Old 29-07-2007, 07:22   #4
Piper
TFH Graduate

I was getting a vision of the hat hitting the goblin on the head until he got a headache and dropped the sword. lol
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 18:46   #5
Tonks
Unspeakable

Well she answered this one in her Web Chat - transcript here
Quote:
Su: How did neville get the gryfindor sword, is there a link to the hat

J.K. Rowling: Yes, there is very definitely a link to the hat!

J.K. Rowling: Neville, most worthy Gryffindor, asked for help just as Harry did in the Chamber of secrets, and Gryffindor’s sword was transported into Gryffindor’s old hat

J.K. Rowling: – the Sorting Hat was Gryffindor’s initially, as you know.

J.K. Rowling: Griphook was wrong – Gryffindor did not ‘steal’ the sword, not unless you are a goblin fanatic and believe that all goblin-made objects really belong to the maker.
I'd forgotten that the Sorting Hat was originally Gryffindor's [it tells us itself, in the first sorting song..] I kind of like that the sword came back into the story and didn't just stay with Griphook. That would've been a bit of a disappointment considering how Griphook was kind of a little snob.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 23:51   #6
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but when the sword came to Harry in the Griffindor hat in the chamber, wasn't the sword missing at the time? Or was it always in Dumbledore's office? I think at the time that the sword came to Harry, the only Griffindor item left in the Headmasters office was the sorting hat.

I think the sword was missing when it came to Harry and it was missing again when it came to Neville. Apparently, the sword alway comes back to the hat when it is needed.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:28   #7
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Well, JKR just answered that in the latest interview.
She says that the Goblin was wrong about the Sword being a property of Goblins. It was fully paid for by Godric, and it was truly Gryffindor sword. Any true Gryffindor, who needed the sword in desperate position, would be able to get it.

Now we have to think here. She didnt mention that to be able to get the sword, whether you needed the sorting hat around you or not. Because it was pulled both the times from sorting hat.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote