Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Old 14-07-2007, 12:42   #31
Sir
Through the Veil

Re: OotP - Spoiler - MAJOR Canon Problem

I gave up on expecting to see good HP movies after the horrid job they did with PoA. That being the case, I thought it made for a very entertaining movie, and my sister who's never read the books loved it. They definitely changed way too many things in this one, and the majority of them weren't minor things. Harry reading Snapes memories instead of viewing in the pensieve angered me, they left out a ton of the MoM battle at the end, and the whole Cho inadvertantly turning in the DA with Umbridge blasting down the wall bit was just dumb. I definitely won't be seeing it again until it comes out on DVD, and even then, I'll prolly just Netflix it and copy it.

I did like the actress they chose for Luna - I think she did a very good job with the part. Tonks' character was also cast pretty well, and seeing Grawp in the flesh was kind of cool. Seeing some of the interactions between characters was also kind of nice, but none of it still made up for the hack job they did to the book. I guess I'll just have to be content with the fact that DH comes out at midnight on Friday
Old 14-07-2007, 17:06   #32
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I just remembered one other thing that they messed up . . . Firenzie! In the scene where Trelawney is being forced to leave, and DD tells Umbrige that she can fire her as teacher, but cannot force her to leave the castle. Then DD replaces Trelawney with Firenzie. I was really surprised that was left out, that was a real good slap in the face for Umbrige, and also would have helped explain some of the Centaur's behaviors.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 17:10   #33
gbogbo
TFH Graduate

See below...
gbogbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 17:10   #34
gbogbo
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by halliemei View Post
But, the biggie. The one I just was dumbfounded at -- they STOLE from book 6. Luna uses a VERBAL Levicorpus on a DE. I sat there in shock. I can't believe they would not only steal from a major discovery in book 6 but change the nature of the spell. This is an invented spell by Snape. How in the HELL does Luna know it?
Because Harry saw his father perform it on Snape when he got a look at Snape's memory, if I remember it right. Harry then taught it to the DA members.

Also, isn't Levicorpus used to float Snape back through the tunnel from the Shrieking Shack in the Prisoner of Azkaban?
gbogbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 17:45   #35
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

OK, here's the way it happened in the book . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotP p.543
Behind him, the Impediment Jinx was wearing off. Snape was beginning to inch towards his fallen wand, spitting out soapsuds as he crawled.

'I wouldn't go out with you if it was a choice between you and the giant squid,' said Lily.

'Bad luck, Prongs,' said Sirius briskly, and turned back to Snape. 'OI!'

But too late; Snape had directed his wand straight at James; there was a flash of light and a gash appeared on the side of James's face, spattering his robes with blood. James whirled about: a second flash of light later, Snape was hanging upside-down in the air, his robes falling over his head to reveal skinny, pallid legs and a pair of greying underpants.
So clearly in the book, levicorpus was done nonverbaly

I can't remember whether James said the spell out loud in the flashback in the movie or not it went by so fast. But in the book Harry difinately did not teach the DA levicorpus. And even in the movie it is wrong, not only is it done verbally, but also they hover in the air horizontaly, not upside down by their heels.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 19:18   #36
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

and we also saw the first use of Sectumsempra! wow, the things we miss so easily
Old 14-07-2007, 19:20   #37
horcruxfinder
TFH Graduate

I missed that. Where was that in the movie?
Old 15-07-2007, 01:39   #38
the looney one
I'm a N00b

I saw it for the second time when I took my son to it today.

I noticed the passage of time - but only because I was looking for it, it was mainly done through the presence or absence of snow.

As for Harry giving the prophecy to Malfoy - he was held it out for him in the book, but the Order's arrival stopped Malfoy from taking it.

from a 7 year olds perspective:
"It was good, but I wanted to see the swamp!"
the looney one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 05:16   #39
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcruxfinder View Post
I missed that. Where was that in the movie?
sorry, i meant in the quote Sirius_potter_fan found in OOTP:

"But too late; Snape had directed his wand straight at James; there was a flash of light and a gash appeared on the side of James's face, spattering his robes with blood. James whirled about: a second flash of light later, Snape was hanging upside-down in the air, his robes falling over his head to reveal skinny, pallid legs and a pair of greying underpants."

i was talking about the book not the movie! cant believe i missed that on my re-read
Old 15-07-2007, 07:29   #40
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Outside Playing Quidditch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcactus View Post
Agreed. Because at that moment, the whole battle became worthless. Lucious could have just apparated away with the prophecy to Voldemort. And that was his sole purpose. (apparating in DOM was even allowed ???)
Exactly, it was only the fact we were lucky enough for him to trip over and drop it for it to smash that he didnt get to do that which i think was really pathetically done that whole scene with the handing over the prophecy absolutely wrong but i did enjoy the movie once i got over the fact that i shouldnt have expected it to be all that loyal to the book and i didnt like cho being the snitch either that was stupid too and the no explanation to why James was like that with Snape in the memory but anyway i will still be buying the dvd when its available and add to my collection
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote