Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - Chapter by Chapter

Deathly Hallows - Chapter by Chapter Discussion on the contents of each chapter in Deathly Hallows

Old 01-08-2007, 10:02   #1
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Chapter one The Dark Lord Ascending, your thoughts?

The very first thing that hit me was white peacock. Peacocks as generally been known as worst enemy of Snakes. Having them on the grounds of a wizard (Lucious Malfoy) whose blood line belongs to House of Serpents, was a little odd.
I wonder if JKR knew this fact.
She has told us before in book, chamber of secrets, that Snakes can hear. Snakes in reality dont have any ears. They have no hearing ability. They sense around their way, and their ability to sense things is great.

anyways, I think the first chapter give most of the true taste of Voldemort's intensions. He kills the muggle study teacher, and Draco realises what he has gotten himself into.
It also tells us that Lucious and his family has lost their respect, and most importantly it tells us that Snape could very well end up being Evil.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw

Last edited by cagedcactus; 01-08-2007 at 10:38.. Reason: spelling
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:31   #2
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Re: Chapter one The Dark Lord Ascending, your thoughts?

yeah, I was pretty sure we'd all gotten Snape wrong after reading that chapter.. But, the theme of "for the greater good" was playing even then. What's one teacher's life vs. ending Voldemort's threat? What's the life of one little boy with a scar vs. stopping the most powerful dark wizard of all time?
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38   #3
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

Re: Chapter one The Dark Lord Ascending, your thoughts?

Yeah -
I think it was more to give a geographical location to Voldemort's HQ, and to actually SHOW Voldemort himself. Remember that he did not make a "live" appearance in HBP, and so we needed to see what he was up to these days.

And, as cagedcactus said, it was important to show the new standing of the Malfoy family (or, rather, lackthereof). This does, after all, play a role in the very end, where the Narcissa may not have been as eager to lie for Harry, had the Dark Lord treated her husband and son a little better.

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote