Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Old 27-04-2006, 12:21   #41
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Pettigrew's Debt

I suppose the question is, is that really still a valid life debt?
I kind of get your point - the general drift of a life debt is because someone saved your life - well in that case Harry saved Wormtail by proxy - as in he didnt give a rats ass about Wormtail - only that Wormtail could help prove Sirius's innocence - as such was it a selfless act that warranted a life debt?
I think you are right to belive the power of the life debt isnt going to be that strong on this occasion - I think that Harry made quite a few bad choices when he decided to let Pettigrew live!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 12:26   #42
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Good point Alz
Harry only kept Pettigrew alive to prove that sirius was innocent. I really don't see how it would really be a valid life debt. But again James saved Snape from Remus (aka werewolf) and he didn't like Snape at all. I always thought that James did this so Remus wouldn't feel horrible for killing a human while he was a werewolf.
Old 27-04-2006, 12:50   #43
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker615
Good point Alz
Harry only kept Pettigrew alive to prove that sirius was innocent. I really don't see how it would really be a valid life debt. But again James saved Snape from Remus (aka werewolf) and he didn't like Snape at all. I always thought that James did this so Remus wouldn't feel horrible for killing a human while he was a werewolf.
BUT - in support of this premise of a life debt by proxy - think about it ...
James saved Snape a couple of years before we saw them again in OoTP Snape's memory - considering Snape owed James a life debt, he sure did hate him still and was also willing to attack and hurt James ... this suggests maybe even more weight that is a life debt isnt done for selfless reasons, the hold and power could be vastly diminished!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 27-04-2006, 13:04   #44
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I sort of see the point that when James saved Snape, he more or less did it to stop the trouble any attack by Lupin would bring to his friends, not only Lupin, but Sirius for luring Snape into the tunnel in the first place. No one at Hogwarts, not even Snape, who snooped on the Marauders all the time, knew that Lupin was a Werewolf. James was guarding a secret, not only from Snape, but from the rest of the students at Hogwarts. We saw what happened to Lupin when the students found out he was a Werewolf in PoA, (thanks to Snape,) Lupin became an immediate outcast, which would have happened to him when he was still a student if everyone knew he was a Werewolf. Was James thinking of Snape's safety or his friends secrets?

Same thing goes for Harry; he too was trying to protect Sirius. How strong is the life debt between Snape and James compared to Wormtail and Harry? The situations are pretty similar.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 11:24   #45
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yeah after you set my mind wondering about the 'selfish' life debt it made me think of James and Snape - I just wonder if that is another meant co-incidence!
It would explain why Snape was still willing to attack and given the chance kill James even though he had a life debt to James ...
I think you have made a great point and goes a long way to explaining why Pettigrew was able to hurt Harry and almost line him up to die in GoF - that bothered me in the past that even though Pettigrew had the life debt to Harry - he was still willing and able to assit in his possible murder!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 13-10-2006, 09:48   #46
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Cool Re: Pettigrew's Debt

Dont forget that although Harry wanted Pettigrew alive to prove Sirius's innocence, he also did it because he didnt want his fathers friends to become Murderers, just because of Pettigrew.
secret seeker is offline   Reply With Quote