Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Old 29-10-2005, 05:47   #21
kaz
Professor of Potterology

Re: Transfiguration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffles
...Is it possible, then, by a type of magic called Transfiguration, to blow life into a completely nonliving thing or take it away from a living thing?
And then change it back? Or is the 'soul' of a porcupine living in a pin cushion?
Old 11-11-2005, 21:12   #22
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

long time no see, everyone! I'm back! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz
And then change it back? Or is the 'soul' of a porcupine living in a pin cushion?
I know, right? strange. or when changing a tepot into a tortoise, how does the tortoise get to have his mind and thinking?
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 19:47   #23
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

maybe the transfiguration of inanimate object into creatures and vise versa is only a temporary thing? like the teapot will stay a tortise for X period of time before the spell runs out and it changes back? i would most likely assume, as noted by someone else previously, that the tortise created from a teapot would most likely live and behave only on a basic instinctual level, as said before, mechanical level. and as for porcupines into pincushions, maybe the animals awareness is put on hold til its changed back.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:07   #24
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegood54 View Post
maybe the transfiguration of inanimate object into creatures and vise versa is only a temporary thing? like the teapot will stay a tortise for X period of time before the spell runs out and it changes back? i would most likely assume, as noted by someone else previously, that the tortise created from a teapot would most likely live and behave only on a basic instinctual level, as said before, mechanical level. and as for porcupines into pincushions, maybe the animals awareness is put on hold til its changed back.
if this is so, won't the Muggle Prime Minister's niece be shocked when her gerbil (?) turns back in to a tea cup (?)

i once read/heard somewhere that it doesn't come from no-where...like if Harry magicked himself some rollerblades, somewhere some rollerblades disappear...erm...or if he transfigured a cup in to a mouse, the mouse may have been scampering merrily in a field, and is suddenly inhabiting the space of a cup...

or, more likely, it is a trick of the senses. the teacup is still a teacup, but the spell performed merely gives it the appearance of a mouse, creating an illusion that it is a living, breathing creature.
hence why it takes practice and skill, to fool the eyes of everybody...
Old 02-12-2006, 16:07   #25
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Transfiguration is a very hard subject. I think that your right too, the reason its so hard at advanced levels must depend on the object AND what you want to turn it into?.
I remember McGonnagol saying Mammals are harder to transfigure than Invertabrae because they are more advanced? creatures. Does this mean that the more evolved a creature is, the harder it would be to transfigure it?. I think also, size ( mass ) matters. You could hardly turn a pen into a blue whale, could you?, But a hedgehog and pin cushion are same size, water goblet and bird are same size?.
A big whale= a big cup
a small candle= a small creature
You see what im trying to say?, for a wizard to turn an object into a coherent, rational human being would be impossible, if anything, an empty shell of a human being, albeit living and breathing, but I believe that would be the limit to transfiguration.
And as someone already said, this is fiction, and Jo cant know everything about everything, its just not possible with the subject of magic.
secret seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 15:51   #26
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

i'm not so suure mass matters, after all, Malfoy was transfigured into a ferret. and a few days ago i had a brainwave about this question. i think if you turn and animal into an object, the creature literally becomes the object, but when returned to its normal state, it goes about life as if nothing happened. now, if an object is turned into an animal, i think it will act like a pre-programmed critter. meaning that if the creature created has a personality at all, it will reflect the wizard doing the transfiguring (aweful thought if Voldemort goes transfiguring rocks into bunnies ) BUT an object-turned-into-creature may also be like an animal that has had the dementors kiss performed: they run on pure instinct, taking care of basic survival. hope i was clear, if i wasnt i can explain better.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 18:21   #27
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

No, that was explained great!. I forgot about Malfoy/ferret!.
Kind of shatters my argument though....Oh well, better luck next time.