Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Old 21-09-2004, 12:02   #1
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Pettigrew as the Secret Keeper?

Why did the Potters choose Peter as their secret keeper? Why would anyone use the weakest member of the group to protect their secret, basically their life? Peter wasn't a powerful wizard at all, he was the tag along.

Snape certainly could have told the deatheaters how weak Pettigrew was and that he was friends with the Potters, and was one that would most likely know who their secret keeper was. He was an obvious first target to go after for information.

Any thoughts?
Old 30-09-2004, 07:12   #2
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

Re: Pettigrew as the Secret Keeper?

I would rather touch on Peter's betrayal in another thread because I have quite a few views on that
Anyway I think that Peter was the weakest member of the group--it wsas a poker gamble--if the death eaters were to torture anyone, it would have been Sirius then Lupin right?
"V" spends most of his time trying to read into people and he would have never seen that one coming-- in theory

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 14:22   #3
Alz
Head Unspeakable

This was either a disasterous game of double bluff or a more speculative and some might say intriguing possibility exists ...
On face value Peter represented the least favorite choice I would have picked to keep me safe and more important my child - but council had them thinking he was the best choice, very sad ...

Peter was always a hang around, latch key kind of person, he lived in everyone shadows but did so for the chance to be popular ... but the offer from Voldemort was too much of a draw for him ...
But can we couple into this what exactly did Wormtail get from Voldemort as his part in the betrayal - he didnt seem like the type of person hell bent on fame, power and glory?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 14:58   #4
Nagini
Time Turners

Perhaps Pettigrew helped convince Sirius to change the secret keeper to himself? Although this too puzzles me as to why would he want to do such a thing. I think James would have taken a lot of coaxing that Pettigrew was the man to go with, the man to trust, the man who held their lives in his hands. He ran straight to Voldemort and told him everything.

But did Sirius really tell no one else of his plan? I would have told someone so I had a back up as it were that the plan had gone into action. Perhaps that is why he also suspected Lupin of being a spy?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:20   #5
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Pettigrew didnt look like a member of this group with any sway or influence, I think he was more of the 'unpopular' one in the group ...
Not sure if anyone here hung with groups of more than 2 people but when you get a team of people there always seems to be one person that doesnt seem to fit but has his place if only for the humour value, this is how I see Peter ... indeed this may have lead him somewhat into doing what he did?
I still believe Black recieved council on making that switch but for him to consider it, the person would have had to be trusted and respected by him ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 17-10-2004, 17:58   #6
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Not sure if anyone here hung with groups of more than 2 people but when you get a team of people there always seems to be one person that doesnt seem to fit but has his place if only for the humour value

I have to agree with Bla's initial comment that it was a double bluff. While i definitely agree that it would be almost stupid to place your complete trust with the one person who seemed to be a pushover, I also think that this is why they picked Peter.

Sure Peter was weak, but that was exactly why they picked him. He would be the last one Voldemort would go after, and they probably thought that his loyalty to his friends would prevail over his weakness.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 05:40   #7
catchthesnitch
Curious Yellow

Another possibilty is the character of James and Sirius. They trusted each other implicity, almost dangerously, I think. Perhaps in their youth (yeah, they were still young) they were blinded to the real possibility of one in their inner circle betraying them.

The brave "immortal youth" syndrome I call it. No one can touch you, no one can hurt you, and most of all, none of your friends would ever possibly betray you. Once that happens you grow up -- immediately.

James and Sirius, from what we've seen, treated their friendships with Lupin and Pettigrew almost as a fraternity -- such close friends that they were almost brothers, is the way I see it. And you simply don't betray a brother.

Does this make sense? I guess what I'm saying is that James and Sirius, although there were these horrible things going on were still young and stupid enough to think that Peter was going to be on their side forever, and that it was impossible and inconceiveable that he would be a turncoat.

I really think that even though Peter was the "low man on the totem pole," so to speak, James and Sirius still had a great deal of brotherly love for him.

"You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks."
-- Peter Marwood

"Be careful. Be very, very careful. This game is not for the weak."
-- The Game Cat

R=V+/-H, H=0.2675
catchthesnitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:00   #8
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

I understand what you are saying but with that same logic the opposite effect should have come up--if they were such a strong brotherhood--they should have played to each others strengths and weaknesses--peter was weak and the other 3 should know that best of all--they should have wondered what would happen if the weakest one was confronted--I know it was a gamble but I think if they were such a tight knit group, they should have sennsed that Peter wouldt stand up to anyone

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 13:42   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Kings makes a great point there and is a fundamental point but sadly one of the logical things that has to be overlooked in order to have a story ...
People talk about JKR always having a logical approach to the stories - you can point to grammar, narrative the whole lot - but in essence the story is flawed and has to be that way to have a story ...
No matter what happened, IRL no-one would choose the weakling to protect their loved ones - they would have gone for the strongest and most trust worthy - the person that can afford them the ultimate security - and sadly non of the other three offered that - but Pettigrew was the worst of the worst and no-one would take that gamble with such a precious thing ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 23-10-2004, 23:11   #10
Lily
Wingardium Leviosa

In a way, you have to question Siruis loyalty to the Potters. He says that he wouldve died for them, he would've have taken their secret to the grave. Then why, why, would he doubt himself as their secret keeper? Why did he feel that he had to turn the responsibilty to another?

I understand that it would be thought that Peter was the weakest and the logic that people probably wouldn't expect the Potters to put their trust to Peter.

But the question I am asking is why did Sirius give the role to another. It shows that:
1) He is scared of being chased after but Voldemort and being tortured for him - scared of dying - or not wanting to dying for the Potters
2) If placed under pressure, Siruis would crack and reveal the Potters location - which in turn questions his loyalty, and how much he is willing to protect the person he describes as his 'brother'