Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: One Way Time Turner?

I think there is a few things still knocking around that could be used to control time - that watch of Dumbledore's and the similar one Ron now was makes a good possibility ...
Going back to OoTP and DoM - the egg in the bell jar and the cupboard that crashes to the floor and goes back again - is that a case of past and future time manipulation - or is it a case of present and past?
As in at what point did the cycle occur with the egg in the bell jar - because that would explain quite nicely if past and future is achievable ..
Of course - it is relative and in the past because that jar and bird didnt just appear - so been there a while - in the past ... wow this can get confusing!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 17:35   #12
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Is speeding up time the same as time traveling -- technically speaking? The bell jar seems to be fast forward within it, and the outside of it goes at "regular" time. I am so not a scientist, but my DH would explain about black holes and traveling at the speed of light -- theory of relativity?
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Interesting view again ...
See, I can understand what you are saying but isn't that another view on time travel itself?
Time is warped - be it sped up or slowed down ... but is that relative to past, present and future ... I think it is somewhat ..
Things in that room seemed to follow both patterns - the cupboard full of time turners fell and broke - and then returned back to normal - that would suggest cyclic time - an event that is looping ...
The bell jar looked like as you said - an acceleration and reversion of time ... Death Eaters head from Baby to adult ... but in essence isn't that the past and present?
That seems to add more weight to the original argument no - one way time turning - back but not forwards - back to present - but not present to future?
Also make sense in so much the future still isnt written till it become present and past - that is why prediciting it isnt easy!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 08-02-2006, 17:03   #14
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Good point on the DE's head. But, that would imply that the bird was placed into its bell jar at it's adulthood, to keep that theory. I will say that I agree that I just don't see forward as possible -- too many holes for JKR if she allows that.
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:30   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Ohh totally agree - forwards moving would render everything unplausible but also - as said so often - the future can be changed - the past is set in stone ... so even if you could see the future all you would have to do is change one thing and the future would change ... and lets not forget the future you are observing could so easily be not accurate because you havent made a certain change yet - I believe the future changes all the time based on ... CHOICES!
Time is only recorded in one way - what has happened ... which is why it can be changed because you know what happened ... but by changing it you also have to be careful - we have all seen the movies where changing something in the past has knock on effects ...
This was something that was bought up elsewhere - fate - I think in PoA Harry and Hermione may have saved Sirius but all they really did was pospone his death ... it was fate he wouldnt get old and die of natural causes ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 16-04-2006, 23:53   #16
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

here's the link to the thread I had posted A LONG time ago with the same question.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 21:29   #17
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Another thread I missed out on somehow!

I think one key to think about in the possibility of future time traveling, is how do you get back. When Hermione made trips back in time, she only went a few hours, and eventualy caught up to her "normal" time. But if you go to the future, time will still continue to move forward leaving you unable to return to your true place in time.

I realy doubt that a time turner could go both ways, or certainly Hermione would have stumbled on to it . . . especialy if it were as simple as turning it the other way. I think they are one way.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 01:10   #18
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think the real element is the fact the past has occurred and stands testimony to the events that shaped it - ergo you tweak the past and cause a different future - now the future can still be shaped on events and circumstances - infinite possibilities that have not even occurred yet - that is why predicting the future is very hard and changing it virtually impossible - the only thing you can do is be aware of that path you are walking and where it leads - but one small change will render the future path obsolete.

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536