Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 25-01-2006, 12:57   #31
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Would Lucius have died like Voldemort?

I could be wrong but I think it says either in the books or in some interview that when the secret keeper breaks the secret - the fidelius charm is broken.
Unplottable - now not sure that works the same way - although would suggest so - if the person that made something unplottable told someone, then it wouldnt be unplottable - but would it also break the spell ... ummm
Well the question about if the secret keeper dies what happens to the secret is still winning on JKR's site - so guessing we will get something near an answer on that one ...

The exact timing of the DE's attack on the Longbottoms isnt really known - but look at other things going on - it was big news that Voldemort was gone and the boy that lived - well lived - yet the DE's attacked the Longbottoms because they were told - yes told (see JKR's site - says DE's were sent to Longbottoms) that the Longbottoms knew the whereabouts of the Dark Lord ...
This would suggest that the DE's were unaware of the fate of the Dark Lord ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 14:46   #32
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Alz, it would seem that you might be right about them being broken -- like the full-body bind did on Harry. But, I would say at least for the Fidelus charm that it's still not quite definite, as JKR has that as one of the options for FAQ questions she might answer, or am I misreading/misremembering?
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 16:56   #33
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkologyMajor
Did Dumbledore make Privet Drive unplottable at that point?
Yes unplottable or untouchable--because that's the term LV uses. He said that even he could not touch Harry there.

Quote:
It seems that Harry couldn't be under the fidelius charm because nobody would see him right?
Until the secretkeeper gave up the secret, which Wormtail did.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is Grimmauld Place-Sirius's father is the one that made it Unplottable and we're told by Moody that Dumbledore is secret-keeper for headquarters of "The Order of the Phoenix" which is under fidelius. How do these differ-does one cover the house and the other the members of the order themselves? This all seems quite convoluted! I realize this is more questions than answers-but maybe you guys can make more sense of it I sure hope J.K.R. gives us all the dirt on fidelius charms-if that question actually wins (I voted for the one about horcruxes) too bad she can't answer all of them
Yes, but if we're patient eventually she will!

I'm anticipating that some DEs may show up at the Dursleys on Harry's bday. The hint that someone who cannot normally do magic but will do so under stress makes me think of (**eyes shine wickedly**) Dudley. What better comeuppence for Vernon and Petunia than for Dudley to do magic in front of them. I really try not to be a grudge holder or vengeful (because both are serious wastes of time and energy and taint the the one holding the grudge or seeking revenge imo), but that would just be so satisfying, because I am also a firm believer in poetic justice!!
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 12:34   #34
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Another reason I would second a DE visit to privet drive - JKR has been very clear that once Harry becomes of age he can do magic out of school - now of course you may argue doing magic in front of muggles will land you in hot water - but we learned in OoTP you can do magic if your life is in danger.
I happen to disagree on the person to do magic late in life - I was thinking Figgy or even Filch - both squibs but Filch was doing a kwikspell course - so possible you can learn some maybe?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 12:39   #35
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

I did consider Mrs. Figg, but then discounted her since she didn't perform any magic in OotP when the Dementors were after Harry. That's not to say that JK can't write an even more dangerous scenario that could bring out latent magic. I think I would prefer it to be Mrs. Figg rather than Filch, because he's such a jerk!
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote