Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - Analysis

Deathly Hallows - Analysis A look deeper into the mysteries and clues resolved in the book.

Poll: Was Snape Who You Thought He Was?
Poll Options
Was Snape Who You Thought He Was?

Old 23-07-2007, 01:04   #1
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Question Was Snape Who You Thought?

This is a simple question, and as we all know, the opinion varried widely. I, of course, was right all along!

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 01:13   #2
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Re: Was Snape Who You Thought?

i didn't believe i knew the answer. i hoped he was good, but was afraid it would be Dumbledore's greatest mistake.
i am glad i was wrong in that regard, and pleased that my hopes weren't ill placed
Old 23-07-2007, 04:31   #3
Luna
TFH Graduate

I can't say I knew but I always felt he was one of the good guys with a very complex backstory. That proved correct.

I correctly guessed he'd known Lily and Petunia as children and that he'd loved Lily from early on and that was his reason for returning to DD after Voldemort's actions and the reason DD trusted him. I was convinced Petunia was referring to Snape as 'that horrid boy' so was pleased that proved true - after all most of my other predictions were far from the mark!

Just loved the chapter of his backstory and the way JKR kept us guessing to the end - the Sectumsempra on George made me doubt myself for a while but really pleased with how it worked out.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:21   #4
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

I believed he was one of the good guys. There were certain parts in DH that had be wondering if I was right, like Luna said, the sectumsempra part with George.

Other than that, I had suspected that Snape had liked Lily but I hadn't guessed that their relationship went back that far. It was a pleasent surprise finding out that Snape really does have a heart.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:39   #5
4evaluvhp
I'm a N00b

I always thought there was a good side to him. After the many mistakes Dumbledore has made in judging people such as Quirrel, Lockhart and the fake Mad-Eye Moody, there had to be some form of correct judgement. If we look back to HBP and read about Dumbledore's death now... you can kinda see his innocence (of course thats after you know of it). For example... the horror stricken face could show that Snape hated what dumbledore was begging him to do.
4evaluvhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 09:45   #6
Piper
TFH Graduate

Oh I thought Snape was supremely evil, I thought he wanted to kill DD and Voldemort. To rule it all for himself. I was totally wrong.

While reading the book, I knew that I was wrong fairly early, because the scenes were just not adding up to it, we would have seen Snape destroying Horcruxes etc, we would have seen something on his background early, I really thought it would turn out that he had tried desperately to be good, but that in the end, the evil over came him. I thought it would be something like finding out that Dumbledore had planned it all so that Harry would die in the end.
The Sectumsempra on George did make me think he was going to end up just a servant of Voldemort and I kept thinking that, especially after he didn't try at all to kill Voldemort after Voldemort tried to kill him with the Elder Wand and it didn't work, it made him sure look like a servant and nothing else and that was really making me mad. But I expected that Nagini would eat Snape.

Last edited by Piper; 23-07-2007 at 09:48.. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 10:40   #7
Tonks
Unspeakable

I'm wish kash on this one.. I guess i'm just pretty cynical because I thought he was an evil guy the entire time! Hoped he wasn't, but thought he was. I know that Dumbledore wanted to see the best in people.. I just never saw a good enough reason behind DD accepting Snape's apologetic attitude towards the Potters' deaths for it to be truly convincing.

Clearly, I never thought of him loving Lily. [I definitely assumed too much and thought that the fact that she was Muggle-born probably meant that she had no contact with the wizarding world before she received her letter.. clearly was off on that one. And then figured that "that horrid boy" was James at some point.]

He sure took spying to a whole new level and had everyone convinced he really was a true Death Eater. I'm just glad George's injury was an accident and that Harry was able to find out the truth in the end!

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 10:56   #8
Steph
I'm a N00b

I wasn't sure what Snape was up to until the end of the 6th book, up until then i just couldn't figure out if he was good or bad. When he killed Dumbledore i believed him to be truly evil, just thought he was like all the other death eaters, and had wondered why Dumbledore trusted him so.
In a way its upsetting that he was good, he had died with the people he truly sided with against him.
At least Harry did find out in the end, as Tonks just said.
x x x
Old 23-07-2007, 11:07   #9
frodobaggins
TFH Graduate

im glad he ended up being good too. in fact he ended up being the biggest good guy out of everyone beisides harry IMO.

i always thought DD trust in snape was his downfall. but it was actually his greed for power and immortality....the same as Voldemorts downfall.

cause as soone as DD found the last hallow he immediatly put it on forgetting it was a horcrux. he was excited he had all 3 (he easily could have gotten harry's cloak) so now he had immortality....and that lead to his downfall
frodobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 17:38   #10
Piper
TFH Graduate

I don't think it was greed for power and immortality that DD wanted, I think he just wanted to see his parents and his sister. Of the three things, he didn't have the one that he wanted the most, the stone that would allow this all of his life, and in his excitement at finding that stone, he lost his head and forgot about the possibility of a curse.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote