Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Post Release Discussions

Old 21-07-2007, 18:20   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Talking This is a face of smugness

... this is also a face who has worked on some crow pie for many of you ... HiaH, DiE, Snape ... ohhhh, so, so many .....

Sorry, it's not polite to gloat but I think after all of these years, I deserve it ... Sure I got some wrong but I think I got the big ones right ... YAYYYY :
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 18:23   #2
Tonks
Unspeakable

Re: This is a face of smugness

You would be a smug little one, now wouldn't you? Can't say i'm the least surprised.. you always have had that little knack.

Where to start? Unfortunately "WOW!!" doesn't do any justice, i don't think.
HiaH hit me a little hard.
And Snape, man, didn't see that coming.

Hum de dum.. I did just love the Epilogue though.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 18:34   #3
Alz
Head Unspeakable

That is the one part I found dissapointing actually - I was more confused by that then any other part!!
I just didnt seem to make that much sense - actually I misread it badly first and thought it said 9 years later - and was struggling to see what the heck was going on - then in my tiredness I worked out it was 19 years

The book was dynamite, it really did answer so many questions - although I do feel cheated on some aspects - the Longbottoms was one part I felt never came off and I always had a thought they were important ... ohh and I messed up the Luna part a bit but still, I did keep saying how important the Lovegood's were!

Now, well I am not sure - I feel I need to grab the book and start again - it was a ride far wilder than I could have imagined but having guess so many parts correctly, read other members contributions filling other gaps - it was like it was playing out what we have been discussing for so many years!

Way to go all - the RAB bit was one I was not a fan of but appears many of you should feel a little proud of your work on that one!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 18:46   #4
Tonks
Unspeakable

It did tend to get a bit confusing there at the end didn't it? Had to keep reminding myself to keep the kids' names separate from those of their namesakes. I do like Albus' middle name though - I think i just loved it so much because it was a pretty happy ending and i'm a sucker for those.

Are you going with DiE? .. i'll give you that, i suppose. Though only to a point.
Everything involving Dumbledore's past was really intriguing though. Ariana and Grindelwald and even Aberforth.. 'dynamite' fits.

I'm heading back for my book as well - got a full day tomorrow to go ahead and start over. Part of it feels like the end of an era though. I'm definitely torn between ecstatic and depressed that it's finally all wrapped up.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 20:51   #5
Piper
TFH Graduate

Alz, you really did get most of it right. Is there any Honey Ranch or Bar-B-Que to go with the crow?
I'll have to reread too, I finished that sucker from start to finish in about 6 hours, It was at the post office all day!!! But I always tend to rush through and then reread to get the whole picture
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 00:54   #6
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

DiE? pfft! he said he makes mistakes that are correspondingly huger!

i loved the book, hated the epilogue. would have preferred 6 months later, as we don't really get to say goodbye.

i love how much harry has grown, how he was a horcrux, and how that worked for him. i don't think i have any questions, which is fantastic!
Old 22-07-2007, 03:15   #7
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

I'm quite happy with the book - including the happy ending (which I was hoping for).
As I read HP7, there is no support at all for the DiE theory. The only period in DD's life that obviously doesn't show him to be the moral compass that Harry has come to expect him to be is his youth - and there is enough heartfelt remorse for that. In my eyes, anyway, Harry is quite right to name one of his sons "Albus". I'm not quite convinced why Harry should give him "Severus" as his second name. Certainly what he finds out about him from his memory (in the pensieve) explains quite a lot. But it doesn't justify the cruel kind of treatment that Harry has been experiencing from Snape throughout his school years.
It may have been necessary for JKR to paint Snape as black as this to keep up the suspense and make the revelation of his true allegiance all the more surprising. But this is something that Harry shouldn't care about, really ;-)
Old 22-07-2007, 04:47   #8
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

I'm just happy that my wife and I nailed the source of the treasure and the dragon on the covers!

Dobby's death broke my heart, much more so than Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye or anyone else..

As for the Longbottoms not playing a big enough part, their son was the spiritual leader of the rebelion at the school and destroyed the final horcrux singlehandedly.. Furthermore, he won the praise of his Gran and found the way to get everyone into the school.. I'd say Neville made the family quite proud.

And I agree on Snape.. His treatment of Harry still seems a bit extreme, given his love of Lily. Perhaps he resented the fact that he wasn't his son? Perhaps it was to make us think Snape was evil? Well, whatever the case, Snape was always and remains one of my favorites to love/hate. His death, while enjoyable at the time, was regrettable after harry saw the memory.

Now, my question is....... How the heck did Harry work out that he was the master of the elder wand? I just don't see him with the brainpower to reason that one out. I'd buy Hermione figuring it out, but it's a stretch for Harry..

thanks for the private forum Alz!
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 04:59   #9
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

i think harry left his mind-meeting with Dumbledore with much more clarity than he had before.

i saw the writhing creature as the struggles Harry was facing within him, and once he learned to ignore that while talking with Dumbledore, he became the man with powers the dark lord knows not. i dunno, i think it was in the end, up to harry to work things out for himself, and to do what he knew must be done. and he did it. brilliantly. and don't ya just love mrs weasley!
Old 22-07-2007, 05:19   #10
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

As long as she's not mad at me, yes I do! I wish that'd been Neville's kill though.
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote