Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Post Release Discussions

Old 26-07-2007, 15:20   #31
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Wink Re: This is a face of smugness

I don't want to burst your bubble entirely, Alz----just bring it a little closer to earth. Here's what you predicted in another thread just before the book was released:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz View Post
OK - here is my guesses - I think all the below will die during book 7

- Hagrid
- Molly Weasley
- Neville Longbottom
- Harry Potter
- Tom Riddle/Voldemort
One out of 5 ain't bad, I guess
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 20:32   #32
Horntail88
TFH Graduate

Re: This is a face of smugness

Yeah, but guessing deaths isn't as big a deal as guessing key plot twists.
Horntail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 17:17   #33
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

closure! sweet closure!

Ravleen: How much does the fact that voldemort was conceived under a love potion have to do with his nonability to understand love is it more symbolic

J.K. Rowling: It was a symbolic way of showing that he came from a loveless union – but of course, everything would have changed if Merope had survived and raised him herself and loved him.

J.K. Rowling: The enchantment under which Tom Riddle fathered Voldemort is important because it shows coercion, and there can’t be many more prejudicial ways to enter the world than as the result of such a union.

I knew it!
Old 30-07-2007, 18:19   #34
Madam Rosmerta
TFH Graduate

I don't think Dumbledore was evil, but a human with human weaknesses, which he at least had the wisdom to recognize and contain (by not becoming Minister of Magic). I had the impression that when he told Snape Harry would have to die, he was guessing that in fact Harry would not die if he sacrificed himself willingly.

The comparison to the Chronicles of Narnia is interesting, it's so long since I've read them that I've forgotten everything that happened. I've heard that C.S. Lewis wrote the Narnia series to promote Christianity, though apparently it was too subtle to reach my 9-year-old brain! If Aslan represented Christ, and Harry is like Aslan, is Harry a Christ figure as well?

I enjoyed learning that Snape is not only a good guy, as I suspected, but that he was much better than I ever imagined. I'm sorry he had to die.

And I'm very upset that JKR killed Remus! It was bad enough that she married him to someone other than me, and killing him was just pointless and inexcusable. I guess that's Death Eaters for you.
Madam Rosmerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 20:04   #35
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
If Aslan represented Christ, and Harry is like Aslan, is Harry a Christ figure as well?
Long ago I recognised the Biblical parallels in HP, and in DH Rowling even quotes Scripture . . . on Ariana's Grave marker "where your treasure is, there will your heart be also"

There is a website that lists all of the Biblical parallels, I'll have to look for it and post it later, but it starts with Harry's birth being prophesised as Christ's Birth was prophesised, Both were marked for death as an infant by men who feared their potential, They spent their early years away from their true home (Jesus spent his early years in Egypt) and it goes on. Very interesting I think!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 20:54   #36
Piper
TFH Graduate

I'll have to find that and share it with he church lady here who went off on the Harry Potter rant on me one day lol. And that was even before JKR went to splitting souls........
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 12:36   #37
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Here is the link to the chart on the parallels, it hasn't been updated for the last book, but I think you can figure out where it needs a little update and add it in yourself. I would add also that they were both prophesized prior to their birth. Good luck!

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/116/story_11681_1.html

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Last edited by Sirius Potter Fan; 31-07-2007 at 12:38..
Old 01-08-2007, 04:02   #38
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Other modern characters of this archetype are Buffy and Neo from the Matrix.

Of course, Christ is not the first 'character' to walk this same archetypal path - witness Osiris, and Orpheus. Numerous parellels exist also in native America mythology.

For anyone interested in these matters, the best book on the subject I know is The Hero With 1000 Faces by Joseph Campbell.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:50   #39
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Thanks DW! I am also a Matrix fan and had noticed the parallels there as well, not only in theme but also in names of people and things throughout the series. (got my youngest daughter's name from one of the characters!)

_Willy Wonka