Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Post Release Discussions

Old 21-08-2007, 04:48   #21
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Re: What was your number 1 favorite thing in the book?

Yes, considering that he, Harry, hermione and Ron were, literally, all in the same boat in PS, it was satisfying to see them all claim a horcrux and play their part.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 07:13   #22
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

I am re-reading DH (to my 8 year old daughter) and am finding a few nuggets I missed the first time.

Keeping with Her predilection for referencing the works of Lewis Carroll, She has Xeno Lovegood, who is obviously Mad as a Hatter (or at least a March Hare), serve tea to H, H, & R while he simultaneously debates the existence of the Deathy Hallows with them and holds them at bay for the Ministry Death Eaters. The scene is chaotic and bizarre---not unlike Alice's tea party. And the Crumple Horned Snorkack has always reminded me a little of a Snark....

Also, the entire excursion to Godric's Hollow is beautifully imagined and written.

Last edited by Mr_Bandman; 21-08-2007 at 07:13.. Reason: spelling error
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 02:06   #23
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

As I said in the previous post, I am reading DH to my daughter, and finding stuff I missed the first time.

The scene where Harry, Ron, & Dean bestow Dobby with articles of their own clothing is especially poignant---very touching.

An aside to any who were at all dissatisfied with DH---read it again. I have found it a much more enjoyable read the second time, and I am ashamed of how much detail and nuance I missed in my blind panic to finish before anyone could spoil it for me.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 18:51   #24
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I have to second that opinion, and I liked it to begin with. I Read it twice now, and have listened to it on audio all the way too, you pick up on things listening that you don't reading as well! Still a bit "miffed" about how short that last chapter was though without any "real" information.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 05:01   #25
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Unfortunately for me, as I read again and again, I dont like it so much as first time. It seems to me that she rushed this a lot. She could have asked more time and done a better job. I loved hallows, and the whole story leading to them, but she just botched up the ending. Harry sounded more suicidal, and almost became a super hero.
The epilogue downright stunk. There were a ton of things she could have said, and deliver a master ending to the story. It has taken her years and years to prepare and write this. Why the heck end it in such a hush hush?

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote