Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Post Release Discussions

Old 22-07-2007, 22:05   #1
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

surprises and twists, what would you do differently and things left unsaid

okay here are my biggest shocks:

the grey lady and the bloody baron

umbridge having the locket

the grindelwald symbol ( i was totally wrong with my theory on it being the six parts of voldemorts soul)

snape loving lily

Petunia wanting to go to hogwarts

i was expecting the horcrux's to all be kept in places similar to the locket, and not be found so close to the end

i would have neville kill bellatrix and lupin kill greyback

snape at least defend harry or tell harry in person he loved lily

and things left unsaid, maybe i missed it but what was dudleys worst memory? and who did magic late in life?

Last edited by happy_hannah; 22-07-2007 at 22:37..
happy_hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 07:26   #2
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Re: surprises and twists, what would you do differently and things left unsaid

I'm kind of wondering if the "late in life" one was Neville's gran.. I need to see the JKR quote on that again.. Anyone got a link or want to post the quote?
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 07:38   #3
Piper
TFH Graduate

The time, from when Hagrid rescued baby Harry on Halloween night/November 1st early AM, and when Dumbledore left him on the doorstep of the Dursleys, late Nov 1st, wasn't explained that I noticed. Of course I was reading fast and could have missed it.

I thought there could have been a lot more about Snapes parents, why his mother, a witch, tolerated an abusive muggle husband, what her story was etc.
That was all pretty well glossed over with Lily asking him about their fighting.

And I really thought Hermonie was going to give us the details on Horcruxes, what spell, what all it involved etc, but she did not.

I thought there would be more about Ginny and being the 7th child of the 7th child and all, but again, I could have missed that too easily.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 09:46   #4
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

I'll agree with the whole thing about somebody doing magic late in life, I can't think of who it might have been or if it was in there at all.

Another thing was we never found out if Harry was descended from Godric Gryffindor.

And whatever happened to Fawkes? Phoenixes don't die, unless they can die of a broken heart and he then died shortly after Dumbledore?

Things that surprised me...

Everything that Happy Hannah said except the Grindelwald symbol and the Snape loving Lily. I had suspected that Snape liked her.
Also the fact that Molly gave Harry the family heirloom watch instead of Ron.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 09:57   #5
Piper
TFH Graduate

I thought she said that Fawkes would play a part didn't she?
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 10:05   #6
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Thats what I thought... or something about Harry getting a new pet in DH...

'Course, its possible that that was all rumor...

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 18:25   #7
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

I had always thought that Harry would turn out to be descended from Gryffindor, and that was why he could pull the ancestral sword out of the hat. But, I kind of liked that any true Gryffindor could claim it - Harry, Ron, Neville.

I loved the way Voldemort defeated himself - if he hadn't been so eager to boast of his ancestry, to reopen the Chamber, then Harry would never have rescued his bride, Ginny, never summoned the sword. Then, of course, he would never have slain a basilisk with a goblin blade, which would nevre have imbibed basilisk poison, and thus, they wouldn't have been able to destroy the diary and the cup with the fangs, nor the ring, locket and Nagini with the sword. 'Evil will oft evil mars', as Tolkein says in LotR.

Hmm, now, ancestry. The three Peverill brothers: if we assume the elder died without issue, then the second brother passed the stone on to his heirs, and it eventually found its way to Gaunt, to Tom Piddle, the last of his line, because his mode of defeating death was flawed. The third son, who truly understood how to defeat death, had a child, and passed on the cloak. This proceeded down the line to Harry. So, althouh I wanted the sword to be his birthright, like Excalibur for Arthur, it turned out it was the cloak.

And, as I suspected back in Chamber of Secrets, Harry and Riddle ARE related - throuh the Peverill line. A line of which Harry was the sole heir, and thus when he had the three Deathly Hallows - wand, stone and cloak - he was the master of death, and killed Voldemort.

And, being a true master of death, he knew how to defat death, and began breeding as soon as possible. Like the moon, which dies and is reborn, Harry accepted death, died, and was reborn. He too will die, but his children will live. Luna love is, indeed, good.

The Arthurian undertones in chapter 19 were extremely welcome. Following the white stag, or, in this case, a silver doe, has long been a symbol of accepting fate, and letting God (or some other force greater than yourself) place you were you need to be. This deer, leading him to the sword in the lake had real resonance with me. (Does anybody know anything about the real Forest of Dean?).

Last edited by Dr Winterbourne; 03-08-2007 at 06:31..
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 10:58   #8
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I was surprised that Lucious lived, I expected Narcissa and Draco to start anew, but Lucious . . .

I too was surprised that Petunia had actualy at one time wanted to go to Hogwarts.

I as surprised that Grindewald was still alive. I guess when we hear "defeated" we just assumed "dead" since that is what we expected for Voldemort.

I was surprised to see Kreacher's change of heart, but that was exceptionaly well done!

I too was surprised by and intrigued by the story of the grey lady and the bloody barron.

I was very surprised by Ron speaking Parstle tongue! Even if it was only in imitation, we were led to believe that it isn't something that is learned, but that it is a talent that is inborn.

wow, just so much stuff!!!! I was afraid that we would have figured too much out, and that there wouldn't be much left to surprise,b ut I was wrong!

now for done differently . . . Not entirely certain, but the "planning/hiding" section seemed slow, not saying I could do better, but . . . and there were definately some answers we were promised that were left out.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:40   #9
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Left unsaid - what happened to Fortescue, and why?

I thought the fact that an ancestor was a headmaster, and he knew about history was going to come into it.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:57   #10
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

You know, I hadn't thought about that one, he and olivander were both kidnapped, but Fortescue is never mentioned again . . . oops!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote