Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Post Release Discussions

Old 23-07-2007, 22:57   #1
TFH Graduate

Fidelius Charm/Grimmauld Place

In DH, Hermoine says that when Dumbledore died, they all became secret-keepers, so they could not return to Grimmauld place because she had given Yaxley the secret.

This was not my understanding of how JKR answered the question of what happens with the secret-keeper dies their secret dies with them. She said that everyone to whom Dumbledore had confided the secret would continue to know but no one else. This was the result of a FAQ poll.

Am I missing something here, or is this a huge contradiction?

For some reason, it will let me edit this, but it will not let me post again to reply??

Last edited by Piper; 27-07-2007 at 13:26.. Reason: Question at end
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 06:29   #2

Re: Fidelius Charm/Grimmauld Place

Here are her exact words:
J.K. Rowling's Official Website

What happens to a secret when the Secret-Keeper dies?

I was surprised that this question won, because it is not the one that I'd have voted for… but hey, if this is what you want to know, this is what you want to know!

When a Secret-Keeper dies, their secret dies with them, or, to put it another way, the status of their secret will remain as it was at the moment of their death. Everybody in whom they confided will continue to know the hidden information, but nobody else.

Just in case you have forgotten exactly how the Fidelius Charm works, it is

"an immensely complex spell involving the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find -- unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it" (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)

In other words, a secret (eg, the location of a family in hiding, like the Potters) is enchanted so that it is protected by a single Keeper (in our example, Peter Pettigrew, a.k.a. Wormtail). Thenceforth nobody else – not even the subjects of the secret themselves – can divulge the secret. Even if one of the Potters had been captured, force fed Veritaserum or placed under the Imperius Curse, they would not have been able to give away the whereabouts of the other two. The only people who ever knew their precise location were those whom Wormtail had told directly, but none of them would have been able to pass on the information.
The easiest and kind of cheap way out for this one would be to say that Hermione was mistaken... it could just be an inconsistency [they're bound to happen sometimes i suppose]..

I wonder that it was even possible for Yaxley to Apparate onto the doorstep of #12 Grimmauld Place following them. I feel like he should have wound up back at the Ministry or outside in the courtyard of Grimmauld Place because he should not be able to have access to that doorstep or the house beyond.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 06:51   #3
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

I'm kinda agreeing with Tonks here. I mean Hermione didn't exactly tell Yaxley where the house is, so the secret should have been safe still. I mean I suppose she could have been right, that by her taking him there she gave him the secret nonverbally. But I'm thinking of what Harry had to do to get inside the house. He had to read a note from the secret-keeper (Dumbledore) and then think about what he had read in order for the house to appear. Thats inconsistant with how Hermione is suggesting it happened.

As to the quote, that is a bit of an inconsistancy, isn't it?
My Wand ~ Made of Hickory, 13 1/4" long, with a Billywig Stinger core...

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 00:21   #4
TFH Graduate

well it says that "Everybody in whom they confided will continue to know the hidden information, but nobody else." so in a way as they all knew the whereabouts, they were all kind of secret keepers
"May born witches will marry muggles"
happy_hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 11:08   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I too was initially confused about that incident
Everybody in whom they confided will continue to know the hidden information, but nobody else."
OK, this says to me that no one else could ever give away the secret no matter what, but . . . that wouldn't be too practical in reality . . . The house was now Harry's, of course just about everyone he knew had been given the secret initialy so they new where it was, but what of when Harry grows old, members of the Order are dead, family and friends die off, Would Harry's children be able to come home from school? I think . . . this is just a little oversite in JKR's planning . . . c'mon folks, JKR is brilliant to have kept as much consistant as she did. This is indeed fiction, and sometimes when you are the one making up all the laws and properties of a fictional world, it is possible that you may need to rethink a situation later on.
Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
His memory will live on . . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote