Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > The Final Horcrux Reviews and Articles > The Final Horcrux Reviews

The Final Horcrux Reviews A selection of reviews from The Final Horcrux community

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
GoF The Movie: What did you think? (Spoilers)
Published by Fortescue
18-11-2005
Author review
Graphics
20%20%20%
Sound
20%20%20%
Replay value
20%20%20%
Value
20%20%20%
Average 20%

Opinions please!

I saw GoF at 11:30 this morning - the first showing around here.

I love it for what it was - some parts were way off from the book, but all in all, it was good. I still have a problem with Mad Eyes eye - but what can you do

Member rating
Graphics
90%90%90%
Sound
85%85%85%
Replay value
80%80%80%
Value
70%70%70%
4 users rated 81% average

The Frozen North on 19-11-2005, 02:22
Re: GoF The Movie: What did you think? (Spoilers)

I saw the movie at 11pm yesterday, not the first showing here (maybe I'm not such a die hard fan ) and thought that it was a good continuation from PoA movie but not too great for those of us who are fans of the books, but then it was always going to be impossible to condense a 636 page book into a 2 1/2 hour film. I thought that sometimes things jumped a little too quickly and that the order of things was mixed up a bit without real need.

Not too up on who directed which movie (I know that 1 + 2 were Chis Columbus) but is GoF is the same director as PoA? I must say that I didn't like the change in the imagery but I do confess that the effects are better in GoF and therefore the imagery works. Not too keen on the musical / dance parts that keep creeping in either (Durmstrangs arrival). I presume that all the Beaubaxtons girls are Veela in the movie, either that or they are just incredibly annoying and vain, pretty girls who know they are pretty and like to show it off at every opportunity.

I liked the casting in general but I'm still not happy with Michael Gambon ad DD. I could write a short list of well respected actors that I think would do a better job of portraying the likable, slightly mad, kind, approachable and yet authoritative and commanding character we know DD to be, I thought that casting Richard Haris was truly inspired and I know that he is truly missed by film goers all over the world and for much more than HP. I also thought that Krum was a bit too good looking but then I guess many in the audience, who don't know the background from the books, would have a problem believing that the actress who plays Hermione (who is also far too pretty compared to her description in the books) would be attracted to the Krum described in the book.

I was a bit disappointed that the movie completely omitted one of my favourite characters from the book, Ludo Bagman. As soon a I read the book I knew who would be absolutely perfect for the role, Jim Broadbent (Bridget Jones' father) naturally portrays everything JKR describes right down to his physical appearance.

Slightly OT here but I wonder how Harry will be portrayed in the OotP movie (assuming it gets made). In the book I found him to be quite obnoxious and selfish. I believe that JKR played on our loyalty to him (and that of his friends for that matter) to show that we all have good and bad sides and that we can all be effected by circumstance in a way that we don't like to admit. I just doubt that Hollywood will have the guts to show the HP from the book for fear of tarnishing his image and alienating some viewers from the franchise, after all JKR is telling us a story that she has wanted to tell for years and she is grateful for the opportunity to make money at the same time, Hollywood is all about money!!!!

I agree with Alz that the movie does not do the book justice but then it was never going to (despite the first 2 movies at least attempting to) so I try to look at them as diffrent versions of the story, rather than the movies being addaptations, in order that I might enjoy both.
Last edited by The Frozen North; 19-11-2005 at 02:30..
Pip on 19-11-2005, 03:17
Lightbulb Re: Goblet of Fire Movie Reviews

I saw the film late last night, and although impressed with some parts of the film I found bits of it dissapointing.

The special effects are awesome. I thought the antics of the Yule ball were hilarious and I really enjoyed the Graveyard Scene. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when baby Voldemort was revealed and when he was reborn. Ralph Fiennes was evil!!

I know it must be difficult to condense a huge book into a movie but it just seemed that too much info had been missed out/changed. I was hoping to watch Mr Weasley blow the Dursley's fireplace to bits and see some of the Quidditch Cup Final match and you don't see any of it. My favourite character from the book was missing - Ludo bagman, we also see nothing of Percy, Bill or Charlie. I also think that the end of the movie should have had something in along the lines of the chapter 'The parting of the Ways' where Fudge and DD have the argument where Fudge refuses to believe Voldemort is back, as half of the storyline in the fifth book is about the ministry trying to undermine DD and Harry and tell the magical community that LV has not returned. Something about Harry and Voldy's wands sharing magical cores should have been in there aswell (because thats why priori incantatem occurs when they duel). I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit more of Sirius either.

The story line about Barty Crouch junior is also a bit vague as no one appears to notice that a another prisoner/DE has escaped from Azkaban. It would have been better if Barty Crouch Senior had still kept him quiet at his home and everyone else thought he was dead.

My dad really enjoyed it, he has only seen the movies. I guess if you really enjoy the books you should just try and judge the film on its own merits, as a piece of Hollywood entertainment.
Last edited by Pip; 19-11-2005 at 03:22..
The Frozen North on 19-11-2005, 03:26
Re: Goblet of Fire Movie Reviews

In reply to the comments above (my own included - yes I know that talking to yourself is a sign of madness, and so probably is writing to yourself) I do fear that the film makers don't do their homework properly. They read the book and then make the film based on it but they don't appear to have read later books so they have no idea what might be important to future plotline and they might be missing alot out, making their own job even harder in the future.
Fortescue on 22-11-2005, 17:41

I just thought I'd add something to all that has been said so far.

I really liked the movie for what it was, but I think my biggest disappointment was with Voldemort. I expected him to have a much deeper, more commanding voice. Ralph sort of has a high non-scary voice and I expected Voldemort to be much taller. I liked the Prior Incantatem bit though - I missed Sirius and the entire end in the hospital wing and Barty Crouch Jrs confession. They could have left out the touching little ending and put some of the real book stuff in.

But I still think it's my favorite so far.
The Frozen North on 23-11-2005, 01:00

About Voldermort's voice, if I remember correctly, JKR described him as having a rather high pitched voice. The description of him actually reminded me, first time I read it, of the bad guy in the 80's movie "Who framed Rodger Rabbit?", if any of you remember that one (Bob Hoskins and lots of 'toons). He too was tall, thin, high pitched voice and had red eyes!!!!!
Alz on 24-11-2005, 03:30

For me - he was the best part!!!
Really - I felt he was really great - he made it his own and it really was eerie if you ask me - to see a fully formed and human like Voldemort walking around - talking - it was just awesome and felt that Ralph did a fantastic job
Comment