Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Poll: Who should play Dumbledore?
Poll Options
Who should play Dumbledore?

Old 16-12-2005, 10:57   #1
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Who should play Dumbledore?

OK, given the dialogue about who should play our beloved, nutty, wize, powerfull and kind Dumbledore, that has being going between myself, Sirus Potter Fan and Alz, I thought we could put it to the vote. For details of the dialoge see the "For or against Gambon" thread. I'm sure we would all like to see Richard Harris still in the role, he really was wonderfull, but given his sad demise he had to be replaced so when you think about the options, consider not only the books and the DD we know and love there, but also how Harris himself played the role. I know that Harris can never be directly replaced but I feel that Gambon's portrayal of DD is too far removed from what we know and love so I'm voting for Stewart.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
The Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 17:10   #2
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Re: Who should play Dumbledore?

I'm so glad you posted this. I have found the person I thought would be wonderful. James Cosmo -- played Father Christmas in Narnia. When I watched the movie, he was EXACTLY what I expect in DD. And, he's Irish.
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 21:05   #3
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I voted for Stewart, I love McKellen for the role, but I thinkthe only drawback might be that he would be confused with Gandalf. . .They are wizards with very similar personalities, and it could confuse the storys, especialy since there are already so many similarities. Stewart would be great, he has the twinkle in his eye, and can play every extreme of the character. . . would be nice to see hair on him too!

MAKE IT SO!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 00:58   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Nope - Gambon is now rightly placed for those big action sequences coming up in the storyline - I think he looks and will act right to cover those scenes where he has to be a little more 'ass kicking' than the usual passive Dumbledore - he will look credible!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 07:53   #5
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I know they only use British actors in the movies, but since the best one for the job died, I think Christopher Lloyd would make a great Dumbledore. He isn't British, but I'm sure he could fake it. I think he would be a great Dumbledore and in the long hair and beard, he would look much like Harris did in the role and more like the Dumbledore I see when I read.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 09:00   #6
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

I can see Lloyd playing the nutty and kind parts of the DD role well but Christopher Lloyd being comanding and powerfull (and intelligent/brilliant).......nah!!!! I can't see anyone taking him seriously, he's not that good an actor. As far as nationality is concerned, a good voice coach should be able to sort that out.

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief, that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." Robert Kennedy
Old 18-12-2005, 12:29   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by halliemei
I'm so glad you posted this. I have found the person I thought would be wonderful. James Cosmo -- played Father Christmas in Narnia. When I watched the movie, he was EXACTLY what I expect in DD. And, he's Irish.
Actually I have to say I am in agreement!
He looked and sounded quite the part to me as well - watched the film today and remember someone saying something about Father Christmas - when I saw the part I also thought he would make quite a cool Dumbledore!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 19-12-2005, 19:16   #8
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
Nope - Gambon is now rightly placed for those big action sequences coming up in the storyline - I think he looks and will act right to cover those scenes where he has to be a little more 'ass kicking' than the usual passive Dumbledore - he will look credible!
No! No! No! No!
What good is being an "ass kicker" if you don't have the charm as well??? The whole thing with the "ass kicking" parts is that they are meant to be a surprise, a contrast, to the Dumbledore we see in everyday life at Hogwarts. You see Dumbledore as this kindly, funny, old wizard. Then when push comes to shove, he shocks you when he is powerfull and comanding, and takes care of business. The role requires someone who can expand to all aspects of the character, not just cover the "action scenes".

Christopher Loyd. . . Thanks for the best laugh of the day. . . OK, well it was the second best. . . can't talk about the best one Yes, he would do well with the "Quirky" aspects of the character, but could never be truly taken seriously enough for the "ass kicking" parts.

Now, James Cosmo, I don't know him, but, if Alz likes him after all this, I might have to check him out.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 09:39   #9
The Frozen North
Bloody Cold in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan
Now, James Cosmo, I don't know him, but, if Alz likes him after all this, I might have to check him out.

Hmmmmmmmm, quite! Remember that despite being absolutly ingenius in his analasys of the books, especially in the wild spec forum, Alz likes Gambon. Is this really a recommendation? Only kidding Alz!!!

Old 20-12-2005, 12:06   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Wise asses
OK - was following halliemei's recommendation and backing it up - when I saw Narnia I remebered someone mentioned FC and once I watched it - I agreed
I still dont think Gambon is doing that bad a job - I have to admit thou in PoA I was a little concerned a few times - but I think he put in a good performance in GoF ... clearly in the minority!
But if you get the chance to see Narnia - an Alz recommendation - then you will see what I mean ... and we have to remember that the great Richard Harris was also Irish

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536