Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Book, Film news and Polls! > News on Potter books/films

News on Potter books/films "Our readers have the right to know the truth ..."

Old 14-11-2004, 18:59   #1
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Talking Stephen King Speaks Out on Potter

The November 19 edition of Entertainment Weekly contains some Harry Potter praise by one of the series' famous fans, thriller genius, Stephen King. King has been very vocal about his love for Potter - and this time is no different:

"I'm thankful that 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell', by Susanna Clarke, was almost as good as its lyrical first reviews...but it's not Harry Potter for grown-ups, as so many of them said. Harry Potter is Harry Potter for grown-ups, you dweebs."

I just thought the quote bit of this was pretty funny. Maybe we should see if he wants to join Mature Potter.
Old 15-11-2004, 05:54   #2
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Stephen King Speaks Out on Potter

That's a great quote - I didn't know Stephen King was a fan of HP, but I'm a fan of his. I actually haven't read his books since high school, but seriously enjoyed them then - perhaps I'll have to get some again.

It's always nice to see someone who can understand the appeal to HP for all ages and understand there are many levels to the books which make them so appealing!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 12:13   #3
Tinkerbell
Graduating

I just love it when another well respected author speaks out in favour of JKR and the Potterology! I think it just gives the finger to those "dweebs" (to quote King!) who slag off the books without actually reading them!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 01:32   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

LOL - you have to like his style!
I'm sure Wheezy posted a thread once that had a Potter reference in one of his books ... so yah seems he is another Mature Potter fan!
And he makes the point well - no shame in being a bit older and liking Harry Potter.
Nice one Mr King!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 20:16   #5
Atticus
Mature Graduates

Hello all! In my ever present struggle to be the queen of dorky internet searching, i have found a review that Stephen King did of OoTP a while back. The whole thing is thoroughly entertaining and again proves that "Harry Potter is Harry Potter for grown-ups"! Enjoy it here

atticus
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --Atticus Finch
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 05:33   #6
Boing
Pops in randomly

Interesting that the answer to the last question brings into play some of the very things we have discussed here in threads! That was an interesting article, thanks for the research!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 14:13   #7
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus
Hello all! In my ever present struggle to be the queen of dorky internet searching, i have found a review that Stephen King did of OoTP a while back. The whole thing is thoroughly entertaining and again proves that "Harry Potter is Harry Potter for grown-ups"! Enjoy it here

atticus
Thanks for that Atticus.

I agree with almost everything he said there about the books. Especially the bit about where did JKR stop writing just for children and starting writing for everyone. There is a difference in the books especially if you look at book 1 then at book 5.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:24   #8
Hermione
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasleyfanforever
Harry Potter is Harry Potter for grown-ups, you dweebs."
OMG!!!!! I love it!!!! I am going to add it to my signature.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22   #9
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

LOL! I love it!

I didn't know King was an HP fan. I have only read one of his books, but I really liked it. I should read more it his. Though at the moment, I'm re-reading OotP, so he'll have to wait.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:30   #10
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini

I agree with almost everything he said there about the books. Especially the bit about where did JKR stop writing just for children and starting writing for everyone. There is a difference in the books especially if you look at book 1 then at book 5.
I have made this exact argument with adults I work with. Some say they read the first book, or part of the first book and never finished it as it was obviously written for children. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to try and prove to the "magically" unwashed, how much they are missing. Even my niece stated to me that she read the first book, but no more. I felt like Noah telling the animals how important it was for them to board the ark in twos. I mean really, for those who haven't read all the books, it just so hard to explain how good they are, and how hooked they will become if they do.

I've known for a while that Stephen King is an HP fan. He has praised the books for years.

EDIT: I knew I had read something Stephen King said in his book from 2000 On Writing -
"Probably J. K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter stories, is the current champ when it comes to back story. You could do worse than read these, noting how effortlessly each new book recaps what has gone before. (Also, the Harry Potter novels are just fun, pure story from beginning to end.) (On Writing, pg 225.)

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote