Blood of thy enemy forcibly taken...

Nagini

Time Turners
Yes I agree with you there, that was part of his reason for using Harry. To show to his followers once and for all that he was the almighty Lord Voldemort was not to be defeated by anyone, especially a young boy.

But does this strike anyone else as childish? The way he acts and the things he says at times, can be interpretated as quite immature. Also its as if his confidence is low and he needs to hear constantly from his followers just how powerful and dark he is.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
He has been humbled by the events in the past few years!
He was once self declared the most powerful wizard - then a baby kills him ..
Then we have the last few years where once again Harry denied his return - like hello he is going to try and show everyone that Harry is just a normal kid and he is all powerful - worthy of being feared and followed!

Maybe Voldemort wanted the blood of Harry so he could detect him. Voldemort transfered a peice of himself into Harry with his scar, maybe if Voldemort has some of Harry, he can detect his whereabouts. It could be as additional weapon against the OoP.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well see - he can already affect Harry via the scar - we saw that a lot more in OoTP - I am specualting that Voldemort gets the same feelings Harry does when Harry is near ...
I know he didnt have a wound left by the attack - but if he left some of him in Harry - is it possble he took something from Harry as a baby?
I like what you are saying - on face value you might have to wonder if he thought by having Harry's blood it would protect him - just because this baby survived his attack?
I know he wasnt aware of the Lily sacrifice until reflection later on - I would assume the same about the blood bond that protects Harry ...

Nagini

Time Turners
Blaise said:
Well see - he can already affect Harry via the scar - we saw that a lot more in OoTP - I am specualting that Voldemort gets the same feelings Harry does when Harry is near ...
I know he didnt have a wound left by the attack - but if he left some of him in Harry - is it possble he took something from Harry as a baby?
I like what you are saying - on face value you might have to wonder if he thought by having Harry's blood it would protect him - just because this baby survived his attack?
I know he wasnt aware of the Lily sacrifice until reflection later on - I would assume the same about the blood bond that protects Harry ...

Something about what you said there about Voldemort affecting Harry. Do you think Voldemort will be able to gain further on this in the next books? Possibly by making Harry angry enough to hurt others. Maybe that is how you start to become a bad wizard by hurting others?

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Nagini said:
Something about what you said there about Voldemort affecting Harry. Do you think Voldemort will be able to gain further on this in the next books? Possibly by making Harry angry enough to hurt others. Maybe that is how you start to become a bad wizard by hurting others?

I have read theories elsewhere that perhaps Harry would be possessed or controlled by Harry somehow, to hurt those closest to him, such as Ron or Dumbledore. I think it would be very frightening, but also interesting to the septology if, the way that either of them dies is by Harry's hand, whilst being controlled. It could divide him, driving him either into the Dark Arts, or further to challenging Voldemort. It would probably destroy him, and change a lot of relationships that he has, but it is just an out there theory...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OK - so are we saying that Voldemort made another huge mistake taking the blood and using Harry as the target?
We know what Dumbledore's thoughts are - well nearly - we get an 'expression' - so we take it the effect of the blood transfer worked to both advantages.
But isnt it possible that Voldemort knows of a reason it had to be him - that anyone else wouldnt do - and not just a case of ego stroking?
I'm not sure he knew that once he had the blood he could touch Harry - that is what we are lead to believe is the reason - but seems a little obvious ...
I think there is another reason he chose Harry - perhaps it could relate to another step he took to prevent death?

Nagini

Time Turners
Dumbledore said:
'He chose the boy he thought most likely to be a danger to him,' said Dumbledore 'And notice this, Harry: he chose, not the pure-blood (which, according to his creed, is the only kind of wizard worth being or knowing) but the half-blood, like himself. He saw himself in you before he had ever seen you, and in marking you with that scar, he did not kill you, as he intended, but gave you powers, and a future, which have fitted you to escape him not once, but four times so far - something that neither your parents, nor Neville's parents, ever achieved.'

Perhaps the power that was transferred to Harry as mentioned above was what Voldemort thought he would get back, plus the protection and any magic that Harry had. So in his mind, they would be on an even footing when it came to the magic within them - I am guessing that since Harry has escaped Voldemort so many times that it is not based on who is more powerful that could necessary win here. If that were the case then its unlikely to be Harry and Voldemort would be able to squish him - I find it interesting that he has so far failed and this brings me back to what could be in their blood. There is also a lot of emphasis based on blood - being pure blood etc in the Potter books.

Something else about that paragraph, the part in brackets - was that JKR telling us there or Dumbledore??

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Going back to the part about DD telling Harry about the prophecy, he only told him part of it. Voldemorts spy heard some of it but DD never says what part-yes he heard the beginning but DD could have started telling Harry at the middle of the prophecy and we just thought it was the beginning. So what I'm saying is that maybe part of the prophecy that DD is leaving out is part of why Voldemort wanted to use Harry's blood and such, and also why DD still doesnt feel at ease about Harrys position in the battle.

Nagini

Time Turners
I agree with what you said that Dumbledore only told Harry part of the prophecy Jenelle EVEN though Dumbledore says he is telling Harry everything I think he is still leaving things out. My reason for thinking this is that Dumbledore doesn't want to influence Harry too much in case it changes things in the future. I am not sure if Dumbledore held back because of fatherly concern and love for Harry or because he knows what is to come and wants things to play out his way.

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Dumbledore said:
"The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution. However, I shall answer your questions unless I have a very good reason not to, in which case I beg you'll forgive me. I shall not, of course, lie."

OK, I have a very strong feeling that Dumbledore was refering to the prophecy when he said this. He never said that he showed Harry the full prophecy, so he wouldn't be lying. So I think that this could possibly be more evidence that he hasn't really told Harry the whole prophecy...

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
It is almost as if Dumbledore is willing Harry to ask him the right questions, as he cannot lie to him? Bit like when Dobby was trying to give Harry clues in the CoS?!

So if only Harry could ask the correct questions, we could have Dumbledore telling him loads of things! Reminds me a bit of the film I Robot when Will Smith's character is asking questions of the hologram and the hologram says "That, my son, is the right question..." !!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think Dumbledore is torn between not wanting to lie - but also thinking that Harry shouldnt know everything ...
If Harry asks - he will tell him the truth - but he wont volunteer it because he feels it isnt right - perhaps he is niave etc - or there are things that Harry should know that would really disrupt and remove his focus from what he needs to do - kill or be killed ...
Is this still on topic :eek:

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
If I could pry into Voldemort's slimy little mind, I think he believed since the old magic he used for rebirth said, "blood of the enemy forcibly taken," that if he used Harry's blood, who was his biggest enemy at that moment in time, even bigger than Dumbledore, his rebirth would be more powerful, thus he would be more powerful. He too received the protection Harry had from his mother, or so he thinks anyway. Someone else said that he could be like a time-bomb, and I agree with that. What he thought would give him an advantage, using Harry's blood for rebirth, could lead to his downfall. If Dumbledore has a spell over Harry and Aunt Petunia which protects both of them because of Lily's sacrifice, now that Voldemort has Harry's blood it's also possible that Dumbledore use that blood connection between the three of them to tip the balance away from Voldemort. There has to be more than one ancient magic protection spell regarding blood.

I don't think Voldemort lost any of his powers when he attacked Harry, he simply shared some of them with Harry. I don't think he'd get any new powers, or get back something he'd lost by using Harry's blood, but I do think that Voldemort's use of Harry's blood was a big mistake. He thinks that now that he can touch Harry he can also kill Harry without the same thing happening again that happened in Godric's Hollow, but I don't believe that the blood protection had anything to do with what happened to Voldemort and his disappearing body that night, so he is not as safe as he thinks.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I agree with you Fort...Voldemort made a mistake in using Harry's blood, and I think Dumbledore KNOWS it. However, I am wondering if Harry is now as safe ans has been previously assumed at #4 privit drive? Since Voldemort can now touch Harry, can he now trace him to #4 and attack him there?

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I think in that respect nothing has changed. Just because Voldemort used Harry's blood for rebirth, it does not negate the fact that Lily died to protect Harry. That protection doesn't transfer to Voldemort, but that's one of those common sense things he always seems to forget.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Fortescue said:
I think in that respect nothing has changed. Just because Voldemort used Harry's blood for rebirth, it does not negate the fact that Lily died to protect Harry. That protection doesn't transfer to Voldemort, but that's one of those common sense things he always seems to forget.

*so, are you saying I don't have common sense???* :D Just kidding, (I know I don't :p ) So what if he thinks that since he can touch Harry that he can come after him? Maybe that is something that Dumbledore has anticipated, and is why he isn't leaving Harry there for very long? Not that he thinks that Harry will be in real danger, but doesn't want to cause alot of excitement for the muggles?

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Sirius Potter Fan said:
*so, are you saying I don't have common sense???* :D Just kidding, (I know I don't :p ) So what if he thinks that since he can touch Harry that he can come after him? Maybe that is something that Dumbledore has anticipated, and is why he isn't leaving Harry there for very long? Not that he thinks that Harry will be in real danger, but doesn't want to cause alot of excitement for the muggles?

:D Actually, I was talking about Voldy, but..... :p

That's what I was talking about....we know how Voldemort over looks things. It's his thing....remember what Hermione said, one thing that Wizards haven't an ounce of is logic. That counts double for Voldemort. :D

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
Dumbledore said that where Lily's (Harry's) blood flows, that is where Harry is safest.
Perhaps the look DD gave was for this - Yes, Voldemort can touch Harry now, but Harry is safe with him because Harry's blood flows through him.
In order to bring himself back and to become more powerful, he has weakened himself and given protection to the only wizard who can stop him.

This would lead to an almighty battle, as neither of them could win.
Now, incorporate some other theories of this, like the love factor, and Voldemort now feeling Harry's emotions.
As the battle looms and is fought, as Harry's friends are dying, his emotions run wild, playing havoc on V. Harry learns to control them, to focus them on Voldemort, to almost possess him with them, and defeats Voldemort using the one thing he has never felt.
It is corny thinking Voldemort will die because he finally feels love, but that was the protection Lily gave Harry, and it is what now flows through Voldemort and Harry, putting them on common, mortal ground.

Norbert

Time Turners
Didn't JKR herself say that Dumbledores look of triumph at the news of Voldemort using Harry's blood for his resurection is because Big D knows something more profound. I am almost 110% convinced that Harry's blood through Voldemorts veins was a 'profound' mistake on Voldemorts part as it WILL lead to his downfall. Harry only needs to figure out how to use it against him.

The only thing that concerns me is JKR's constant rebuttal - "How do you know that Harry is going to live through to the end of book seven?" She has responded with this comment far too many times. I fear that Harry's connection to Voldemort will prove fatal to both... This could also be the reason why Dumbledores look of triumph is so breif.

I hypothesize that Harry will figure out that his blod connection with Voldemort will give him the kamakazi attacking ability to vanquish the dark lord and he will sacrifice himself to take out Voldemort! Maybe through some veil connection Harry will come back though???

Sorry, this is heading for the speculation forums...