Blood of thy enemy forcibly taken...

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I think JKR makes that comment, not because Harry is going to die, but to keep the end a mystery. If she let on that he will live, everyone will know the end! well except for all the others who might die, and just how the battle progresses. I think JKR is very brilliant in keeping that comment, it says neither that he will live or die, it keeps all in the relm of possibility. I am not shure, but I believe that JKR said somewhere that Harry's blood in Voldemort will not protect Voldemort from attack or make Harry any more vulnerable than he previously was. Can any of our experts on the interviews find that snippet? Thanks!

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Okay, I didn't go back and read through what we've all ready said here, but I have had this nagging thought on my mind for a week now brought on by watching the movie, GoF again.

Voldemort used Harry's blood because he said it would make him stronger then if he used another wizard's blood. We saw that after his resurrection, he could touch Harry without turning into dust as Quirrell did, and he was very happy about that to Harry's chagrin. I have to wonder though, does Voldemort have a false sense of security in that he can now touch Harry and he believes that because he can touch him, that should he choose to use Avada Kedavra again, does he believe this time it will work and Harry will die?

I think what would happen and might just happen in the final book is that Harry will be in a tight spot, he will have found all of Voldemort's soul bits except the one he's currently using. Voldemort will have Harry backed into a corner with no defense and Voldemort will misjudge the benefit of the blood he received from Harry. He will AK Harry again, but the same thing will happen that happened the first time and Voldemort, unknowingly, will be on his last soul bit. Voldemort will die and take Harry's scar with him. Harry will not have to kill Voldemort in order to fulfill the prophecy as Voldemort, in his arrogance, will do away with himself.

Well I think that Harry's blood will Be kind of a way to destroy him... as you Know... Harry's blood is marked by his mother's love and the sacrifice of her life...
the interesting thing is i think that I feel that Voldemort's destruction has nothing to do with death...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
It was an interesting gamble because in the film at least Voldemort called AK when Harry called Expelliarmus and we ended up with a bit of PI action ... maybe if that is Voldemort's faith in Harry's blood that also made him feel a little nervous again?
I really am not sure that Voldemort can use AK on Harry - more because I still feel H is a H and I think there is a protection on a horcrux that follows logical reason, you cant kill your own piece of soul! We have a thread on that so wont go on :p

I still think it was a mind trick for Voldemort - use the blood of the person that nearly killed him - almost like saying 'dude you failed and now you also helped bring me back' ... ohhhh, could be the blood is the best because it comes from a body that holds a piece of him inside!
Interesting sub thought there ... maybe that is why Dumbledore gleemed at this point - this was the final piece of the jigsaw that confirmed H is a H!
Notice Voldemort always gets his own back - first the AK and then in GoF the shadows/PI from the locked wands ... once again it weakens him!

Norbert

Time Turners
There appears to be a common theme of everyone assuming that Voldemort gains an understanding of the protection that is in Harry's blood from PS when Quirrel is not able to touch Harry. I agree that Voldemort uses Harry's blood for his re-birth because of the protection in it from his mother and that this is what allows him to touch Harry after he steps out of the cauldron. I feel that a very good point to ponder is when and how did Voldemort come to the understanding of the importance of Harry's blood! IMHO - It happens in the Chamber of Secrets!

I am now re-reading all six volumes. I have just finished re-reading COS and found the dialogue between Harry and Riddle in the chamber very interesting. Having been through to book six already puts that whole conversation in a much different light!

Now that we know that Voldemort uses Harry's blood for his re-birth in GoF, and the diary is/was a Horcrux, I thought that it was very interesting that the Diary version of Tom Riddle is soley interested in getting information from Harry about the night of Voldemorts defeat...

Harry tells Riddle that his mother saved him by dying and Tom (AKA Voldemort) takes this all in and quickly realises exactly what happend that night and why! I haven't the text in front of me but Riddle says something like - 'Yes, that is a very powerfull counter-charm. I can see were I mis-calculated now! You see Harry it was all a lucky chance, not your greatness, that I was defeated and you lived!"

He goes on to ask Harry - do you not find it strange; our likenesses? Both orphans, both Parslemouths, etc... At this point, Riddle is realising that Voldemort(he) transferred some of his powers/abilities to Harry that night!

It is very clear to me, as I re-read the title chapter, that it is while in the form of Tom Riddle from the diary in the Chamber of secrets that Voldemort comes to the full understanding of just how Harry's mother saved him and how that 'protection' runs in Harry's veins! It was there that he learned of the importance of Harry's blood!

When Quirrel is killed by Harry's touch Voldemort still is no wiser as to why. We are all assuming that he simply put the two together - That he could not kill Harry and Quirrel could not touch Harry = Using Harry's blood in his re-birth would strengthen him. I disagree - He learned it in the COS through Tom Riddle's Diary...

Now - How did that Info travel back to the current day Voldemort who was hiding in Albania during the happenings of COS?!

That's another thread, I think...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
See now that chapter in CoS has been the single biggest mind trip to me - anyone who has been around my forums for a few years will know this - given what was said and taking place I always assumed maybe we were seeing what happens when Bad wizards meddle with time ... we later now know we are dealing with a horcrux ...
But then JKR's comments about what would have happened if Riddle had lived and her answer it wouldd have made present day Voldemort even stronger and we will find out more in book 7 - that just set me reeling back again ...
There is still so much about that horcrux that we still dont know - I think I even started a thread a couple of months talking about this ... I will see if I can find it and link ya ...

gbogbo

Time Turners
Just to string together some pieces that seem to be coming into focus.

So, if Voldemort learned of the power of Love through his mistake in Godric's Hollow and what he learned later of how Lily's sacrifice was the root of that, then that might explain why he choose Harry's blood.

But that could really mean two entirely different things: (A) he is selfish and worried and only wants to armor himself against future attacks, or (B) he is starting to "buy" what Dumbledore is "selling".

If it is the latter, then could Dumbledore's look of triumph be that of a teacher who is finally getting through to a wayward student?

In any case, there are very strong indications that this act will eventually lead to his downfall. But if (B) is the case, then it is going to have to be some Lazarus-like resurrection, and that would be too wierd.

Last edited:

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
The riddle that came out of the diary was a part of voldemort and knew it. The soul fragment that came out of the diary knew it was a part, not the whole, of voldemort and if it had escaped it would have given the voldemort in albania a new body to possess. ( In truth, it would have been voldemort possessing his own body back but younger with more knowledge and his horcrux's still). That is what jo meant by being stronger.
The gleam in Dumbledores eyes in my interpretation, meant, Dumbldore suspected Riddle may try to use Harry in this way and placed a protection on/in Harry in case, voldemort acted exactly as Dumbledore expected him to, and I think it was a good thing that he did use Harrys blood to regenerate, it may even save Harrys life.
What I want to know is how much more has Dumbledore kept from Harry. He said he would tell Harry everything at the end of OOtP, but he didnt, he didnt tell him it was Snape who told Voldemort of the prophecy, and it was months later that he confided in Harry his suspicions of Riddles Horcrux's.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
The riddle that came out of the diary was a part of voldemort and knew it. The soul fragment that came out of the diary knew it was a part, not the whole, of voldemort and if it had escaped it would have given the voldemort in albania a new body to possess. ( In truth, it would have been voldemort possessing his own body back but younger with more knowledge and his horcrux's still). That is what jo meant by being stronger.
I think the key to this is the implication that maybe Voldemort can re-absorb the removed soul portions ... that could be interesting if indeed HiaH ...
That point asides - I think that may be why JKR made that comment ...

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
I really think that Jo has given us all the clues to figure out nearly everything, and a good source would be Dumbledore. As he said to Harry, tyrants create their own userpers, their own downfall, and this could be exactly what he meant when Voldemort, in his insistence to use Harrys blood to regenerate created his own downfall?... The prophecy is meaningless, unless you stick to it, but, the night he killed the potters he gave Harry some of his powers, not a.... a viable pathway of destruction, a means to finish off Voldemort....he just marked him as his equal....., Voldemorts insistence to use Harrys blood will be his own un-doing, his own downfall......and Harry cant really be a killer, can he???:D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think I may have said this before - if so, please excuse ...
But if a horcrux can absorb some of the host - then that might also mean visa versa and the host can almost pollute the horcrux ... I think this might have been what Dumbledore was hinting at when he said it was a bad idea to use a living host - well you can see why the re-absorbtion of something that has a pollutant in there could be bad for Voldemort - in this case lets just stick to blood but the same deal exists - maybe part of Harry is now co-exisiting in Voldemort?

happy_hannah

Time Turners
i was just going to start a new thread on this! good thing i came across this first, i was wondering also what might occur now that voldemort has harry's blood in him and therefore lily's protection. could it be just as harry has qualities of voldemort, voldemort might get some qualities of harry, like perhaps a little compassion? does it make voldemort more human?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
that is realy facinating. It seemed at the time that the presence of Harry's blood in Voldemort actually lessened the protection, Voldemort was able to touch him again. but . . . most good "cures" come with side effects . . . compassion, love, empathy, maybe even an ability to forgive . . . that could mess with a power hungry dark wizard's plans couldn't it!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
..or could go someways towards how Harry will dispose of Voldemort - although substitute blood with soul ;)

If Harry had polluted Voldemort with blood - I guess JKR would have made reference to strange things happening with Voldemort in the last two books.
While I of course like the premise, how could it be explained that Voldemort went 2 years before getting the side effects?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Alz said:
how could it be explained that Voldemort went 2 years before getting the side effects?
well, It probably wouldn't happen all at once. Voldemort would experience these unusual but very brief thoughts of compassion, then he easily fights it off and continues his evil ways . . . next time . . . it takes him maybe half a second more to fight off that sudden uncharacteristic urge, and so on. It would be quite a while before anyone would notice the change at all, then even longer before they would become concerned or question his decisions. etc. He would eventualy be in inner turmoil to the point he looses it all.