Can't believe I only just now noticed!

psychgirl83

Up to no good....
I started rereading the first book this weekend and noticed something hilarious that I have never noticed in all the bazillion times (ok, maybe closer to 15) that I have read it. When Hagrid and Harry go to Gringotts at the beginning, Hagrid is digging through his pockets looking for the key to Harry's vault. He pulls out a bunch of crumbly dog biscuits and puts them on the counter. Now, why would he have dog biscuits in his pockets? Maybe for Fluffy? LOL. I burst out laughing when I read that (partly at my own stupidity for not having seen it earlier :rolleyes: ). Not a major thing, just somthing I noticed and thought I would share, in case you all didn't notice either. :p

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
Dog biscuits would come in handy any time for Hagrid's "pets", given the variety of strange creatures he keeps assembled around himself. I suspect they usually are for Fang, though ;)

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
So...was Fang there before the stone reached Hogwarts then?

I had never thought about it!!

Boing

Pops in randomly
Um, Fang is Hagrid's pet . . . I think you guys are thinking about Fluffy. Fluffy was the three-headed dog guarding the entrance to the stone. But Fang I think has been around for awhile - just Hagrid's regular pet, as Sir Cadogan mentioned.

I like the idea of the biscuits being for Fluffy, but I have to think that a three-headed dog that size might need more than biscuits to tame it! :D

I would think the biscuits would be for Fang, how would Fluffy even be able to see them in Hagrid's hand from the height of his heads.

PLus I like the idea of spoiling dogs, I feed mine all the time!

pureblood

Time Turners
hey what happened to fang? was he mentioned in any of the other books? am i forgetting something that happened to him in the first one? did he die? i can't remember what happened to him. or was he just not mentioned after the first book?

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
pureblood said:
hey what happened to fang? was he mentioned in any of the other books? am i forgetting something that happened to him in the first one? did he die? i can't remember what happened to him. or was he just not mentioned after the first book?

From your question I conclude that you're mixing up Fang and Fluffy (Boing wrote something along those lines, two posts up).

-> Fluffy is the huge, three-headed dog which guarded the trap door in PS/SS. He only occurs in this volume.

-> Fang is Hagrid's "normal" dog, a boarhound. He occurs in all of the books, as far as I'm aware.

Boing

Pops in randomly
Yeah, in CoS, Fang is there because Hagrid says to "no one" in the hut that someone will have to look after Fang while he's gone and I believe Fang goes with them to the Forbidden Forest.

From a quick glance at PoA and GoF, Fang is mentioned each time the trio goes to visit Hagrid, so he's still around. I don't know in OotP because I'm currently reading that one again and Hagrid's off with the giants right now . . . :D

yarvelling

Time Turners
Yeah...Fang is still around in OoTP...remember the night-time battle with Umbridge? Fang is quite active during that!!
Oh! Nasty thought...I just hope that Fang isn't the victim in the new book...the 'alleged' death.... :eek: I hate seeing Hagrid getting upset; he just loses it and goes to pieces and NEEDS Fang to comfort him!

kaz

Professor of Potterology
Hmmm, I can't recall ever reading what did happen to Fluffy...my guess is he is still around waiting for the final battle! I hope he bites Wormtails hand off :)

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
kaz said:
Hmmm, I can't recall ever reading what did happen to Fluffy...my guess is he is still around waiting for the final battle! I hope he bites Wormtails hand off :)

Just the other day I found a quote from JKR - she said that Fluffy was turned loose in the Dark Forest after the Sorcerer's Stone was destroyed where all dangerous creatures are released :D It figures - one more thing for Harry to worry about the next time he goes in there :D

EDIT:
While looking up a quote for something else I found the quote I mentioned:

Question number six: What happened to Fluffy?

Well, basically anything that is dangerous is released to the forest, so that’s where fluffy is now, roaming the forest.

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
The scary thing is that if JKR is sincere that can only mean the last Blast-Ended Skrewt is in the forest as well :confused:

That could be worse than running across Fluffy :D

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
It must be a terribly big forest :(

There will be Grawp, with his pet three-headed dog, chasing down Blast Ended Skrewts to either cook for dinner or light the fires to cook their Aragog-spawn meals...then at night, Fluffy patrols around the sleeping mound of Grawp, to protect him against the centaurs...

Oh my :( I am really glad that I don't have to go in there!