Crookshanks

Piper

Time Turners
I have looked for an old thread and did not find one on this.

I wonder how possible it is that Crookshanks is not a cat at all, but really someone like Wormtail who is in hiding.

R.A.B Perhaps?

I think we would have found this out in Book 3. After all, Sirius communicates with Crookshanks, he would know if it was his brother. Crookshanks was also present when Lupin did the spell to force Wormtail to show himself, wouldn't it have also worked on Crookshanks as well if he were an Animagius?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I knew this had been discussed somewhere, but in a different thread, but here is what was posted concerning Crookshanks:

Fortescue in "Arabella Figg" said:
According to JKRs website, Mrs. Figg breeds cats with kneazles. Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, is part cat part kneazle.

Piper

Time Turners
Well it says:

Black had already retrieved Snape's wand from the bed. He approached Lupin and the struggling rat, and his wet eyes suddenly seemed to be burning in his face.
"Together?" he said quietly
"I think so" said Lupin, holding scabbers tightly in one hand and his wand in the other. "On the count of three. One- Two- THREE!"
A flash of blue-white light erupted from both wants; for a moment, Scabbers was frozen in mid-air, his small gray form twisting madly-Ron yelled- the rat fell and hit the floor. There was another blinding flash of light and then- (Peter was back)

I just assumed that because Lupin was holding Scabbers, that it was directed at him.

It's just very weird the way that Sirius says Crookshanks acted.
"This cat isn't mad, " said Black hoarsely. He reached out a bony hand and stroked Crookshanks's fluffy head. "He's the most intelligent of his kind I've ever met. He recognized Peter for what he was right away. And when he met me, he knew I was no dog. It was awhile before he trusted me.... finally I managed to communicate to him what I was after, and he's been helping me...."
"What do you mean?" breathed Hermonie
"He tried to bring Peter to me, but couldn't... so he stole the passwords into Gryffindor Tower for me... As I understand it, he took them from a boy's bedside table..."
Harry's brain seemed to be sagging under the weight of what he was hearing. It was Absurd... and yet....
"But Peter got wind of what was going on and ran for it...." croaked Black. "This cat, Crookshanks, did you call him?- told me Peter had left blood on the sheets...I suppose he bit himself... Well, faking his own death had worked once....."

When Hermonie bought Crookshanks, it was after he had tried to grab Scabbers as Ron was getting tonic for him. It says that he had been there a long time at the pet store, that no one had wanted him.

I just wondered if anyone else had suspicions about this cat.

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I remembered this quote regarding Crookshanks:

Gryffindor Versus Slytherin - PoA, pg 256 US
"Get out of here!" Ron roared, and he stooped down and seized a stone lying on the grass, but before he could do anything else, Crookshanks had vanished with one swish of his long ginger tail.

It seems that the cat can also disappear at will. I wonder if what Crookshanks did was a form of Apperation?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Crookshanks is a kneazle - from what I can gather they are quite smart?
I dont have Fantastic Beast and where to find them - but apparantly JKR gives some good insight into kneazles in there ...
I think it was accepted that Crookshanks capabilities were due to this ... but of course we should learn not to take things at face value ...
I have heard many stories and rumours about Crookshanks - all the way from him being the Animagus form of James through to all manner of wild stuff .... I of course like them all :D

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them - Kneazle, pg 24.

The Kneazle was originally bred in Britain, though it is now exported worldwide. A small catlike creature with flecked, speckled, or spotted fur, outsize ears, and a tail like a lion's, the Kneazle is intelligent, independent, and occasionally agressive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The Kneazle has an uncanny ability to detect unsavoury or suspicious characters and can be relied upon to guide its owner safely home if they are lost. Kneazles have up to eight kittens in a litter and can interbreed with cats. Licenses are required for ownership as (like Crups and Fwoopers) Kneazles are sufficiently unusual in appearance to attract Muggle interest.

That's all the reference to Kneazles! :)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah that would be it :D
Cheers Forte!

Rumours always had it he was a possible animagus of someone - based on the intelligence level and the way Crookshanks was able to 'sniff' things out - but if you read the above it is kinda the thing with Kneazles - they are smart cat like things :D

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
When I first read PoA, and saw what part Crookshanks played in helping Sirius, I suspected the cat of being something other than a cat. In OotP, when we were introduced to Mundungus, the description JKR gave him, down to the ginger hair and bandy legs, made me think that Mundungus was some form of Animagus. I got the suspicious idea that Mundungus and Crookshanks were one and the same. That is until the scene in the kitchen at Grimmauld Place when we saw Mundungus and Crookshanks in the same room at the same time.

I still suspect the cat of being someone in disguise - maybe since Mrs. Figg was given the task of watching over Harry when Dumbledore placed him with the Dursley's, maybe Dumbledore arranged for her to watch in other ways. I know she is a Squib, but I also think she has a bigger purpose then we've seen. Since Mrs. Figg breeds cats with kneazles, maybe Dumbledore gave her a way in which she can transform into a cat named Crookshanks. I still think Hermoine got Crookshanks for a reason and not simply because she felt sorry for the cat. Mrs. Figg told Harry in OotP, she had never transformed as much as a tea bag before, but maybe what she does to turn into Crookshanks is not called transfiguration. :D Sorry for the wild spec there! :D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
You know there has been suggestion for a long time that Mrs Figg used Polyjuice potion and indeed is Crookshanks ... there was some talk about her smelling of cabbages etc ...
There could be something to it ... I for one am not gonna lay it on the line there is nothing to it.

Off-topic I know - but I always got the feeling Mrs Norris would have been the one to be 'something they arent' ...

I think the kneazle explanation was produced to quash the thoughts that Crookshanks was more than meet the eyes ..

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Poly juice potion would be a good idea, but how would that be managed on the long ride on the Hogwarts express? Perhaps when she first transforms, she covers herself in the potion, then as a cat/kneezle she can ummm. . . lick herself . . . to keep the potion effective? :D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Sirius Potter Fan said:
Poly juice potion would be a good idea, but how would that be managed on the long ride on the Hogwarts express? Perhaps when she first transforms, she covers herself in the potion, then as a cat/kneezle she can ummm. . . lick herself . . . to keep the potion effective? :D
Hey I am not convinced on that one - it was just something a few people talked about a while back ... might see if I can find the details on that one ... me I thought it was great spec but not too likely :eek:

notposs

Time Turners
JK's Site said:
Section: Rumours

Mrs. Norris is an unregistered Animagus

No, she's just an intelligent (and unpleasant) cat.

That kinda kills that one.

oh and about crookshanks JK was asked weather it was an animagus, polijuce etc she says to look in FBaWtFT I think she is just a smart cat cross knesle(sp?)

Last edited by a moderator:

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I think Crookshanks is just a Kneazle. The perfect pet for Hermione, because they are both smart, and very aware of what is going on. Although Hermione might be losing her touch after the whole Malfoy isn't a DE thing...

I am wondering if Crookshanks might turn look-out or spy somehow, if Hermione works out that he is a Kneazle, because I don't think she knows yet?

*please correct me if i am wrong!*

gurgle69

Time Turners
i believe crookshanks is just a kneazle, poly juice potion cant be used for animal tranformations, look at CoS herminoe just got a furry face and tail she didnt turn in to a cat, i do think chrookshanks is there to be more helpfull in solving things, perhaps she guide s them home from a horcrux hunt