Destructing Houses

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OK, this is an oldie but I like it!

We know the Killing curse leaves no mark - so how did the Potters House become reduced to rubble?

The last acts in the house we are lead to belive is Lily dying and then Voldemort attacking Harry - casting AK and then it backfires ....
We are then left with a blowup house ... and Harry still inside ...

Is this an indication that perhaps someone else was there - see point 1 - AK leaves no mark ... if you speculate the spell caused this, how did it blow up a house when it leaves no mark?

Kingsley

Time Turners
Wormtail ransacked the house looking for Voldemort's wand--
Seems a bit simple of course but thats the way I pictured it--unless there was an actual fight/duel and missed curses bounced off objects in the house causing them to shatter and break--
I still think of it in the same state as when Harry's areawas ransacked when Ginny went to get the diary back from him in book 2

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Wheezy

Hagrid says that he pulled Harry out of the rubble in PoA:

Hagrid said:
It was me what rescued Harry from Lily an' James's house after they was killed! jus' got him outta the ruins, poor little thing, with a great slash across his forehead, an' his parents dead...

Tonks

Unspeakable
Alright, well, to take the easiest way out -- we know the Killing Curse itself leaves no mark, but what about the backfired Killing Curse? It's not like its ever happened before so no proof unless someone asks JKR, but the result is much different from that of the Killing Curse, so what's to say there aren't any side effects, such as Harry's scar, or even a destroyed house. ;)

Otherwise, if we are going to go with someone else is there, what's to say there wasn't another Death Eater there helping Voldemort (not with the actual killing obviously, but with little servant-y type tasks). ;) I think there's a possibility that he brought some backup, not that he would need it, but just because.

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
LMAO! I was just gonna quote that! :D

I was always under the impression that the magic that was activated when the curse was backfired was so powerful that it caused the house to collapse. Either that, or someone was there that night and demolished the house before they left, in an attempt to kill Harry by having the house fall on him...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
... given the force of that backfired spell - one that can destroy a house - would guess there wouldnt have been much left of Voldemort, Lily and Harry!
I dont think that is the case - Harry's protection saved him from Voldemorts AK curse - but wouldnt have stopped tons of concrete and motar falling on him ...

catchthesnitch

Curious Yellow
A quote for thought:

from PS/SS; the Vanishing Glass:
'You could just leave me here,' Harry put in hopefully (he'd be able to watch what he wanted on television for a change and maybe even have a go on Dudley's computer)/
Aunt Petunia looked as though she'd just swallowed a lemon.
'And come back and find the house in ruins?' she snarled.
'I won't blow up the house,' said Harry, but they weren't listening.

Not calling a judgment here, but isn't that quote food for thought. You guys have at it, but if the AK curse didn't do it, could little ickle baby Harry have done it somehow?

Tonks

Unspeakable
Blaise said:
... given the force of that backfired spell - one that can destroy a house - would guess there wouldnt have been much left of Voldemort, Lily and Harry!
I dont think that is the case - Harry's protection saved him from Voldemorts AK curse - but wouldnt have stopped tons of concrete and motar falling on him ...
Well, if you're thinking that way, then couldn't anything else that had destroyed the house have killed Harry as well? ;) But yeah, I see your point. If there was someone else there, they could have stopped anything from landing on Harry and injuring him.

Yet, Voldemort would have been just a spirit directly after the spell backfired -- or at least, his body wouldn't have really mattered anymore anyway, would it?

To stretch it extremely far just for the sake of it, I suppose the house didn't necessarily have to be completely destroyed. You never know, there could have been a beam that just happened to be propped up directly over Harry's head that protected him from being killed by falling ceilings.

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Also, when Voldemort, as Tom Riddle, killed his father and parents (have I got that bit right?) they were discovered without a mark on them, and there is no mention that the house had been destroyed in any way!

Interesting thread here, Blaise, whether this is just an oversight on JKR's part, or whether there is something to be revealed later in the Septology is anyone's guess!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
That will be my point - the AK spell is clean - in fact too clean as JKR states in the start of GoF the people that examined the Riddles assumed they were scared to death because the grey eyes and expression on their face was the only real evidence they were dead!

Someone or something brough the house down - and it seems that unless Harry has another little gift - Voldemort was alone and the parents were dead ... so what bought the house down and kept Harry safe?

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Petunia said to harry that "your parents had to go and get themselves blown up" if the house wasnt destroyed then why wasnt there any bodies found? Also if the Potters were blown up then how were they burried? Also if the bodies were there then wouldnt Voldemorts be there also, along with anyone else that was in the house as previously suspected? Just a few thoughts after reading the posts :S

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well this is another on of those 'Septology' questions - where are the remains of the Potters?

I dont want to go too much into it here as it would be off-topic - but I did create and article on this you might want to look at - a link can be found on the front page :)

We know the house was destroyed - but as to any other points - they remain locked up in JKR's head for now ... maybe :)

Boing

Pops in randomly
Just to add something here - in PS/SS, Chapter Four, Harry is introduced to Hagrid and Hagrid starts to give the details of Harry's parents' deaths.

He says, "Never wondered how you got that mark on yer forehead? That was no ordinary cut. That's what yeh get when a powerful, evil curse touches yeh - took care of yer mum an' dad an' yer house, even."

So from this quote, it appears that at least Hagrid thinks that the curse is what ruined the house. However, I find it very interesting to note that he doesn't mention the name of the curse - just says it was a powerful, evil curse . . .perhaps he doesn't want to get into it with Harry just yet as he is so young, or perhaps there might have been something else to the curse.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well see this is the irony of the thing - AK leaves no mark - we have seen the effects of it in many examples throughout the series ...
Yah - you can argue that it was mis-cast etc but the properties and effects of the spell seem totally opposit ..
So yah - I like your point Boing - what exactly was cast!

Boing

Pops in randomly
Blaise said:
Well this is another on of those 'Septology' questions - where are the remains of the Potters?

I dont want to go too much into it here as it would be off-topic - but I did create and article on this you might want to look at - a link can be found on the front page :)

We know the house was destroyed - but as to any other points - they remain locked up in JKR's head for now ... maybe :)

Another point here that can be taken from Hagrid's quote in PS/SS is that he says that the curse "took care of" Harry's parents and the house, so perhaps by that he meant that their bodies were destroyed along with the house . . .

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah - agreed it seems like a convienient way to explain why there is no graves etc or at least Harry hasnt been told - but if you look at JKR's writing literally - then the effects of AK arent correct in what happened ...
A spell that cannot be blocked would also mean it cant be deflected in my book - and it wouldnt rip the whole house apart and leave just Harry in the rubble ...
Yah - you can see - it bothers me!

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
However no one ever stated for a fact that it was the AK that Voldemort used....there could be another curse that is more powerful than that-Hagrid did say that Lily and James were powerful wizards... So I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that just because JKR didnt tell us yet that there is something more powerful than the AK doesnt mean that it doesnt exist, she does that a lot. We also still dont know a lot about their deaths so the AK could very well be the one used, but its just as possible that it wasnt. :)

Atticus

Time Turners
A different theory....

Does anyone think here that the emotions of the wizards involved might not have had an effect? Lets review what happens when Harry has been angry, scared or upset: He's regrown hair, he's ended up on a roof, he's blown up his aunt, he's made glass disappear and sweater's shrink.

Now, with respect to Godric's Hollow--I think it is possible that the combinations of James' emotion at thinking his family is in mortal danger, Lily's reaction to that as well as the death of her husband, and Voldemort's failure to actually kill Harry could have created enough resoundant energy to bring that house down. If this is indeed Voldy's chief enemy and he discovers that he cannot destroy him, even when he is a little baby, i would imagine his rage alone could have destroyed the whole house in an effort to get his way by the rubble killing him (much in the same way Harry made the sweater shrink and his hair regrow).

Mind you, though i posit this new theory, if everyone thinks its codswallop, i side with those who make think it is a rebound of the curse. We have never yet had a reference to another killing curse, and I don't have any idea why JKR would pull a new one out after she's so thoroughly versed us in this one.

Thoughts? Flames? Chocolates?

atticus

Boing

Pops in randomly
Wow - Atticus, really liking that theory!

So in this scenario, Harry obviously sees his mom and dad killed (well, not his dad, but he hears his dad being killed) and is faced with the man who did it right in front of him. Even at that young age, I think those emotions (fear, anger, sadness, etc.) all mixed up could cause some interesting results. Enough even to blow up the house. Perhaps it was a mixture of Lily's sacrifice and Harry's emotions that vanquished Voldemort that first time.

Certainly lends credence to the idea that Harry's emotions will play a role near the end of the series as well . . .

Good ideas - thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I like your sig quote as well . . . one of my favorite books. :)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting theory Atticus - never heard that one before!
Umm - I suppose that takes some breaking down to understand it ...
are you saying the house full of everyone's emotions are what bought the house down?
Because it seems that people's emotions were triggers at different times - James and Lily collectively coupled with Voldemort's - then Voldemort and James - Lily and Harry - Voldemort & Lily - Voldemort and Harry ....
Unless it was a growing energy based on the chain of effects - then it would be hard to narrow only one as being the trigger ...
I don't think Harry was mentally mature enough to full understand what was happening -0 because it was traumatic he can recall it - but at a year of age I don't think his mind could have mustered all that energy ...
Voldemort on the other hand - being as powerful as he is - could quite easily got too excited and been the trigger ...
I like it - I am a little unsure as we have never seen an effect similar in nature - we have seen Harry do things when his mind is racing but never seen anything akin to that destruction based on pure emotion ....
still I like it - nice one!