Did Dumbledore miss a Horcrux?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Did Dumbledore overlook a possible Horcrux? Dumbledore told Harry . . .

Dumbledore-HBP said:
I am confident, however, that the only known relic of Gryffindor remains safe."
Dumbledore pointed his blackened fingers to the wall behind him, where a ruby-encrusted sword reposed within a glass case.

But, a little while before that we saw that Riddle knew not of just the cup and locket but remember, . . .what was the original reason he had visited Hepzabah?

HBP said:
"Well, what's your excuse for visiting this time?" she asked, bat-ring her lashes.
"Mr. Burke would like to make an improved offer for the goblin-made armor," said Voldemort. "Five hundred Galleons, he feels it is a more than fair —"

So, we know for certain that there was indeed more than just “one” known relic of Gryffindor, the Sorting Hat had been Gryffindor’s, so if DD had overlooked that, then perhaps there indeed could be more. We do see some armor on the UK children’s cover . . . perhaps Harry will be more thorough than DD? Or more lucky! Did Riddle know to begin with what he was dealing with? Could Hepzibah have had Voldemort's collection "ready made"?

Piper

Time Turners
What a great catch on the reason for the visit to Hepzabah! Now I am going to have to scan back through for references to armor.

horcruxfinder

Time Turners
the question of the armor is an interesting one. I can't quite figure out if it is a snake on the chest and a baby griffin on the helmet or what? DD states in HBP that Hepzibah "had many hiding places" and so it took the family a while to realize the locket and cup were gone. Perhaps the armor wasn't in the same hiding place as the cup and locket - a hufflepuff chamber at hogwarts? In the treasure on the children's uk edition I don't think I see the cup as it must have two handles - can anyone else see if it is there? There are other things of interest in this section of HBP, ie. Hepzibah is wearing a wig. Is this the same wig that Harry later uses with the Tiara to mark the spot he hid the potions book in the Room of Requirement? Only a few more months to go before we know.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Wow! I hadn't even thought of the wig. Could be, you never know. You know . . . this now has me thinking. The Tiara is also in the RoR. The "hiding" room seems to hold many possibilities . . . so very many things, perhaps room for a Horcrux?

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Not only does the chest plate appear to have a snake on it it is the only piece of the armour and weaponry that is not encrusted with rubies.

I am sure that there is a Horcrux for each of the founders and we have already speculated about the Griffin door knocker. I think that there will be something else that will be so obvious that we wonder why we didn't see it before.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
yes it is!!!! and, that cup looks quite a bit like part of a cup we see on the Children's UK cover . . . gold with rubies . . . Wonder just why Jo decided on that Witch at this particular pont in time?

horcruxfinder

Time Turners
I have been spending some time with GOF and am just at the moment where Hermione takes Harry and Ron down the corridor that Cedric went down after their names came out of the goblet - down to where the hufflepuff common room is. Hermione takes harry and ron down there because she is showing them the kitchen and now JKR posts on her site that good old Helga was known for her food. Makes sense then that her house common room and dormitories would be near the kitchen. But, let me finally get to the point, the corridor is broad, stone and lit with torches. It made me think that this could be the place of a hidden chamber for Helga and her treasure's? Are the kitchens mentioned anywhere else. We know they are below the great hall because the food goes up to hit the tables. Do we know anything else.

As an aside, I think the ruby thing is important. When DD died, the Gryffindor rubies were spilled all over the floor. I am so not sure why hufflepuff things are shown with rubies on them both on the JKR site and on the cover art. Note that the cup helga is holding on JKR's site has two handles, exactly as described in HBP!!! Do we see a two handled cup on the dust jacket?

Sorry this is so long and disjointed.

Morfin Gaunt

dumbledores army
i must say comparing this wizard of the month to the dust cover i see it as some kind of clue that for the first time hufflepuff may play a more major role in the story.

the gleaming jewels tiara and goblet scream clue at me though im still no nearer lol

MG

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
MG said:
the gleaming jewels tiara and goblet scream clue at me though im still no nearer lol
Well you are right on that! I saw that on the WotM and knew it had to be pointing to something possibly big. We had just really picked up on the possible significance of the tiara before the dust covers came out. Then when the covers came out . . . didn't that look like a cup? (I think it was GB who spotted it, but couldn't tell if it had the required two handles since part of it was burried!) It looked amazingly like what Helga Hufflepuff held in her picture.

We knew already that DD suspected that the cup was a Horcrux, as well as the locket, diary, and ring. But why is it being emphasized now? I'm wondering if we go back and look into other wizards of the month if looking closely we may find some more clues. Seems silly to come up with all those WotM without some reason to do it (like dropping subtle clues!)

The Armor is still getting me. I haven't really kept up with the WotM, has there been one wearing armor lately? (or is that next months?);)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
This could be a definition issue here - what is considered a relic and what is consider a past possession of Gryffindor.
We know that the hat belonged to Godric but it was his sword that was referred to as the relic right?
Slytherin had his locket, Helga her cup, Godric his sword and Ravenclaw ... umm escapes me for a minute - anyone want to chime in here?

SeriusLivesOn

Time Turners
im completely new to this site and heard about it from a friend but i have absolutely loved it so far! ive never really posted on forums before and randomly just clicked on this one, but once i started reading what people had to say some ideas were popping in my head! I JUST finished re-reading book 6 today (gotta get fresh on everything for seven) and i saw all this talk about a tiara, and helga hufflepuff. NO one mentioned though, the tiara that Mrs. Weasley and Fleur discuss over Bills bedside in the hospital wing, the goblin made one that their aunt has and that Molly would love fleur to wear in the wedding!? Well i started thinking, could that be related to Hufflepuff in anyway? I went to JKR's website and saw the wizard of the month is helga, who has extremely RED hair and is holding the goblet as well as the tiara... could the weasleys, one of the last pure blood familes left, be decendents from Helga Hufflepuff!? sorry this is long but im new so cut me some slack :)

Last edited:

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Alz said:
This could be a definition issue here - what is considered a relic and what is consider a past possession of Gryffindor.

Webster's New World Dictionary said:
Relic - a) An object, custom, etc. that has survived the past. b) Keepsake or souvenir

So, I would say that any known possesion of Godric Gryffindor's that has survived to Harry's time would count. Anything surviving over 2,000 years would count as a relic, and of course, you would expect that objects that were "unique" to a person of importance would be treasured and passed down through generations. The sword would seem the most obvious object, but also the most protected . . . unless . . . but that's another thread. Suffice it to say though that were Voldemort/Riddle unable to get to the sword, that he would have found another relic of Gryffindor's to use.

SeriusLivesOn

Time Turners
okay now im feeling dumb was that old old news i was pondering? i was just really curious to see what people thought about the fact that helga hufflepuff has such obvious red hair in the WOTM on jkr.com and is wearing a tiara, when in the last few chapters of HBP Mrs. Weasley mentions letting fleur borrow a tiara theyre great aunt muriel (sp?) has in her very own possesion for her and Bills wedding, Also in the last few pages of HBP Ron brings up the fact that harry has to go to bill and fleur's wedding....
any comments?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Hey that is an interesting find there SeriusLivesOn - interesting observation indeed ...
Wouldn't that be so 'JKR' to do that!
I would suggest in the context of if indeed this is a Ravenclaw relic that it doesnt display the same characteristics as a horcrux - after all there appears to be little protection surrounding it since people are wearing it on their head ... but still, maybe something worth looking a little further into, the mentions and references of tiara

im completely new to this site and heard about it from a friend but i have absolutely loved it so far! ive never really posted on forums before and randomly just clicked on this one, but once i started reading what people had to say some ideas were popping in my head! I JUST finished re-reading book 6 today (gotta get fresh on everything for seven) and i saw all this talk about a tiara, and helga hufflepuff. NO one mentioned though, the tiara that Mrs. Weasley and Fleur discuss over Bills bedside in the hospital wing, the goblin made one that their aunt has and that Molly would love fleur to wear in the wedding!? Well i started thinking, could that be related to Hufflepuff in anyway? I went to JKR's website and saw the wizard of the month is helga, who has extremely RED hair and is holding the goblet as well as the tiara... could the weasleys, one of the last pure blood familes left, be decendents from Helga Hufflepuff!? sorry this is long but im new so cut me some slack :)

Hoggy Warty Hogwarts

Outside Playing Quidditch
It has been discussed about the tiara in the ROR thought as the original and the one the Weasleys have is a copy from that one but maybe not...

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I think the two mentions of a tiara are the same tiara. I think that Molly will look for it when the time comes, and won't be able to find it . . . My guess . . . Fred and George "borrowed" it for some prank or another and had to hide the evidence . . . They weren't in the hospital wing when Molly mentioned it to Fleur, With Tiara's never being mentioned at all in the previous books and only mentioned those two times, it has to be the same one.

SeriusLivesOn

Time Turners
i couldnt agree more! im really excited to find out the 'mystery of the tiara' when book 7 comes out. it might be dissapointing if it leads to nothing though!

happy_hannah

Time Turners
if the tiara is a horcrux though, why isnt in the middle of some maze or similar, like the locket in the cave, wouldnt voldemort have gone to greater measures to protect it?