Dudley's Wizardry

George

Tom Marvolo Riddle
Righto. This has been discussed a bit in other forums, but not to a great depth - more like, it's been gently brushed with fine edges. But, if someone can find a thread to merge this with (which I myself haven't been able to locate), please do so.
Personally, I am quite convinced that there's something odd about Dudley Dursley. For one thing, Dumbledore seems to think that he has suffered some great tragedy at the hands of his parents (beyond that which Harry has had to endure, and that's gotta be something big). They know it, judging by their expressions in the third chapter of HBP. They know they did something, or at least, Petunia does. Exactly what hasn't been said, but I'd be surprised if we don't find out in Book 7. I figure Dudley's magic was somehow suppressed and that, for some odd reason, he was never offered a place at Hogwarts. It is my firm belief that his parents had a hand in Dudley not getting a letter. Perhaps they wrote to Hogwarts, or something of the sort. Except for the clues Dumbledore gives us at the start of HBP, I am left wondering as to one of the most enigmatic events in the series - why Dudley didn't turn into a pig when Hagrid cast the spell on him. Hagrid says it's cause he was too much like a pig anyway. I, on the other hand, think otherwise. What if Dudley has magic in his blood, and has some sort of protection to it? What if he is resistant to magic, and cannot be transfigured as easily as any Muggle? Is it because he's not really Muggle at all?
So, the question we'll all be asking now is: whatever happened to Dudley around those dementors? Why could he not see them? Is it because he is, after all, a common Muggle? I think not. As far as we all know, magic leaves traces and is a more complex matter than it appears. Perhaps one needs to be skilled or, more likely yet, not oblivious to magic, in order to see Dementors. As in, even if you're not trained to use your magic, you can see Dementors so long as you have seen it, or, as Dumbledore puts it, "known" magic in one way, shape or form, in order to be able to recognize the powerful Dementors. Then again, Dudley may simply have closed his eyes after it all went dark, hence not being able to see the Dementors even if they were dancing naked in front of him.
Another thing ... who here remembers the vanishing glass? I doubt it was Harry who made it disappear. I think it was Dudley, who, in his attempts to get as close as was humanly possible to the snake, took it all one step too far and wanted to see it so much, that he made the glass vanish in his impatience. Could it be? I mean, if we look back on it, we're not all certain it was Harry who made the glass vanish. Right?
So, these are only a few of the clues JKR may have been putting into her works, in order to attempt portraying Dudley as a wizard. I think it's there for us all to see that there is some slight possibility Dudders is a wizard - and, with a bit of luck, we'll find out what great sorrow the Dursleys caused Dudley and what harm they inflicted upon him, knowingly or not. It may be related to magic, but, then again, it may not. So, I figure we'll have to wait and see.
Any thoughts from fellow friends?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Great post George!!

Ok let me throw some from each side on this ...
I think what Dumbledore said about the damage was subtle - he was making a point that all Vernon's and Petunia's favouritism towards him, giving him what he wanted, generally not seeing the bad in him created the person sat between the two of them - they of course look confused as all they see is perfect lil Didykins - but what we all see is a spoilt, aggressive, nasty little brat that is destine to become all the things Petunia and Vernon think Harry is ...
Dumbledore was saying they ruined their boy by over-compensating with love and giving for all the nastiness and crap they gave Harry!
JKR also said there isn't a great deal more to Dudley than what we have seen ... but then again she did say no-one of importance will die in book 6!

To the other side - the Dementor thing did bug me - I mean the dementors really did effect him and as much as he acted like he couldn't see them - he suffered badly from the attack!
I just don't know if a straight forward muggle can be so effected by them - I suppose it is possible but I don't know - something about that which makes me go ummm ...
Then of course we have JKR recently saying Petunia isn't magical - but we still have the 'magic late in life' statement as well - I think it would be so ironic if their ickle Dudders turned out to be just as much of a freak as Harry and his folks!
Just something poetic about it!

Snuffles

the keepr of the Veil
Alz said:
Then of course we have JKR recently saying Petunia isn't magical - but we still have the 'magic late in life' statement as well - I think it would be so ironic if their ickle Dudders turned out to be just as much of a freak as Harry and his folks!

Actually, this rumor has been one of the big ones that've been going around a few years back (I think it might have been before PoA came out), and i kind of wished it would happen: Dudders going to Hogwarts two years later than usual, and all that.

I'm kind of giving up on that, though, because, as Alz pointed out--

Alz said:
the dementors really did effect him and as much as he acted like he couldn't see them - he suffered badly from the attack!

the part about the dementors points directly at the direction of how Dudley is not magical at all. When the court asks each other if the squibs could see the dementors, they sound surprised, because obviously it's a known fact that the muggles cannot see the dementors (but can still fill them), and since squibs are closer to muggles than wizards, they had obviously thought squibs could not see the dementors too.

but the cat-loving woman saw the dementors, gliding, yet Dudley specifically said how everything's gone black and how he couldn't see--"what are you doing? I can't see!" etc etc.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I agree with Alz that the horrible thing the Dursleys did to Dudley was in spoining him rotten. I think that statement was a bit of an object lesson to kids who think their parents don't love them because they don't get their way, and get all they ask for. It shows how kids that get all that usualy end up. But . . . Maybe there will be a redeeming virtue to him in the end? We haven't been told of any beings haveing a particular "resistance" to magic, other than Dragons, so I doubt that he is "resistant" I think that Hagrids poor magical training, and lac of confidence in his magic is what caused the imperfect transformation.

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
It would be cool if somewhere somehow Dudley was supposed to be a wizard. I think if it was so then he would have been hounded with owls too.

I recall JK herself saying that Dudley is just Dudley. What you see is what you get.

littlehobit24

Time Turners
Even if Dudly isn't a wizard I think that he could be a squib. There is a lot he doesn't share with his parents ( his bullying for one) and a lot his parents don't see or refuse to see. ( his bullying). I also wonder if Dudly's curiosity (jellousy) into what Harry has and does gets the better of him at the wrong time.

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
Remember how taken aback Petunia was at the news that wizards come of age at 17? I think that part of Dumbledore's deal with Petunia was that she would keep Harry if Dumbledore agreed to somehow suppress Dudley's magical abilities. We know that someone is going to develop magical abilities "relatively late in life". Why "relatively"? I think JKR uses that wording to rule out Petunia, Filch, and Mrs. Figg---there is nothing relative about their age---if they showed any magical tendencies it would simply be late in life. Dudley, however, is still a late adolescent/young adult. Perhaps on his 17th birthday Dudley's protection/suppression charm will expire. Or perhaps it expired with Dumbledore's death (though that seems unlikely since that could also mean Harry's protection would have died with Dumbledore as well; also, if you've read my opinion on Dumbledore's "death", you know I'm not sold on that, either).
This would provide a great twist in the story---imagine what a thorn in Harry's side a magical Dudley would be---especially since he comes of age before Harry and can legally use magic for a short time while Harry still can't. Can you think of a more perfect recruit for Voldemort? But. then again, Harry saved Dudley's life from the Dementors----how could that work it's way into the story? Not to mention the fun that could be had as Vernon Dursley finds out that his wife has been hiding a secret from him for 17 years---his own son is a wizard!
"Remember my last, Petunia" obviously refers to something. That was not an accident, and it raises too many questions to be something JKR abandons or leaves alone. I think this is it----Dudley is a wizard.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Remember how taken aback Petunia was at the news that wizards come of age at 17? I think that part of Dumbledore's deal with Petunia was that she would keep Harry if Dumbledore agreed to somehow suppress Dudley's magical abilities. We know that someone is going to develop magical abilities "relatively late in life". Why "relatively"? I think JKR uses that wording to rule out Petunia, Filch, and Mrs. Figg---there is nothing relative about their age---if they showed any magical tendencies it would simply be late in life. Dudley, however, is still a late adolescent/young adult. Perhaps on his 17th birthday Dudley's protection/suppression charm will expire. Or perhaps it expired with Dumbledore's death (though that seems unlikely since that could also mean Harry's protection would have died with Dumbledore as well; also, if you've read my opinion on Dumbledore's "death", you know I'm not sold on that, either).
This would provide a great twist in the story---imagine what a thorn in Harry's side a magical Dudley would be---especially since he comes of age before Harry and can legally use magic for a short time while Harry still can't. Can you think of a more perfect recruit for Voldemort? But. then again, Harry saved Dudley's life from the Dementors----how could that work it's way into the story? Not to mention the fun that could be had as Vernon Dursley finds out that his wife has been hiding a secret from him for 17 years---his own son is a wizard!
"Remember my last, Petunia" obviously refers to something. That was not an accident, and it raises too many questions to be something JKR abandons or leaves alone. I think this is it----Dudley is a wizard.

All I can say is - inspired thinking there Mr_Bandman!!
That would be a great twist to finish off the Dursley part of the story - how their own son is a freak just like Petunia hated in her sister and Vernon had spent years trying to get Harry to never realise - to have another one - an immediate one - that would be a fantastic twist!
Love the idea mate :D