Dumbledore and fire

Arwan

Time Turners
He is known to be able to conjure Gubraithian Fire (magical everlasting fire). His Patronus takes the form of a phoenix, a recurring symbol in the books.

His weapon of choice seems to be fire. In his duel against Voldemort he used a fiery rope; when he displayed his Wizarding powers to young Tom Riddle, he did so by setting Riddle's wardrobe on fire; in the Cave he also used fire to hold off the Inferi.

Any thoughts on the significance of Dumbledore choosing to use fire?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I hadn't put all those refferences together, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more! I have to say though that there definately seems to be a "Phoenix" theme here with all the fire. Of course could be that that is just his strength, Harry is good at DADA, Nevil at Herbology, Snape at potions etc. everyone has their strengths, and that is also why they are suited to different wand types to wouldn't you say? I would like to say that those are clues that DD has characteristics of a phoenix, and will "rise from the ashes" but as much as I hate to admit it, I think it is just JKR being consistant in where DD's strengths are . . . Perhaps strengths that have been influenced with his long relationship with a real Phoenix.

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
As Dumbledore said to Harry in the cave, creatures that live in the dark and the cold, fear the light and warmth, the exact OPPOSITE. I started a thread on opposites, before this one actually, and feel it coincides with this one nicely.
Voldemort could be classed as dark and cold, and maybe Dumbledore knew something ... er ... that could help, vanquish Voldemort?.
The coincedences are startling, however.

Morfin Gaunt

dumbledores army
Fire does seem to be one of DD strengths, aswell as every one having strengths every one also has weaknesses, just going with an opposites theme, does that mean his weakness is water?!?!!

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
The elemental opposite of Fire is, rightly water, MorfinGaunt, however, as Dumbledore said the opposite to Light and warmth is the Dark and cold. Water completely cancels out the effect of fire, even boiling water, so could it be classed as it's Magical, not elemental, opposite?. I dont know.
Im thinking it has to balance one another, like the Ying-Yang symbol, one side can never eclipse the other, but there is always a balance, even struggle, between the two, yet " Neither can survive without the other ". ( no pun intended ):confused:

Dumbledore does seem to have an innate connection with Fire, I think because, since the Middle ages, it has believed to have had " cleansing " powers, and is one of the earliest and most ancient forms of Magic?.

Last edited: