Dumbledore's Family

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
JKR: I see him [Dumbledore] primarily as someone who would be self-taught. However, he, in his time, had access to superb teachers at Hogwarts, so he was educated in the same way that everyone else is educated. Dumbledore's family would be a profitable line of inquiry, more profitable than sweet wrappers.

The only relative of Dumbledore's that has been mentioned in the books thus far has been his brother, Aberforth. We know he is the bartender at the Hog's Head Inn, he was accused of using inappropriate charms on a goat, he was in the orignal Order of the Phoenix, and he was there the night that Dumbledore heard the prophecy from Trelawney. Dumbledore has implied that his brother was something of an informant on the goingson of the wizarding world, he was seen with Mundungus while Mundungus waas caught by Harry stealing things from the Black family home, and he was at Dumbledore's funeral. Also, of some possible importance, is that, although we know of the familial connection between Aberforth and Albus, Harry does not. I have a feeling this may be of some importance to Book Seven.

Is Aberforth the 'profitable line of inquiry' we are supposed to make? How will Harry feel about finding out that Dumbledore has a brother? And what kind of relationship will form there?

And if Dumbledore's family is going to be so important, why have we heard nothing about any of them, other than Aberforth? Without the quote, we could just assume that none of his family was important, but now that we know this is not the case, what are we supposeed to assume? JKR has said that she will not introduce any new chracters in Book Seven, other than a member of the Order that we have not properly met. Could this be Aberforth?

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
JKR: I see him [Dumbledore] primarily as someone who would be self-taught. However, he, in his time, had access to superb teachers at Hogwarts, so he was educated in the same way that everyone else is educated. Dumbledore's family would be a profitable line of inquiry, more profitable than sweet wrappers.

what i find interesting...a couple of points, but firstly, is that inquiries into Dumbledore's family is more profitable that sweet wrappers - does this mean that Neville's mother's gifts to him are nothing - or less than when compared to what DD's family has to offer?

Also i find it extremely odd that the greatest wizard of all time was self taught, having only had 'access' to the Hogwarts teachers.
Does this perhaps mean that DD was the one to do magic late in life? Perhaps it was Aberforth who went to Hogwarts, and brought home the necessary knowledge for DD to learn?
What is it about DD's family that meant he had to learn in such a way anyway? We know the poor can be catered for, we know they accept near-squibs...we know they weren't fussed by Half-Bloods.

I do believe that Dumbledore's family is worth finding out about. I don't know if Aberforth will have any more to offer Harry - maybe some insight into the great man. Then again, there is a lot of evidence that leads us in the direction of Aberforth that we can't deny.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Didnt JKR also elude to the fact that at least one or more of the teachers had a spouse or something and that they were important?
Given up to now we have not seen any teacher with a partner - and the knowledge that Harry will find out Dumbledore's back story in book 7 (another interview I read) - is that another possible link?
I think Harry will find out about Aberforth and I also belive Aberforth will be the one to give Harry the good ... and sadly for you all, the bad on Dumbledore ...
Everything has balance and parity - and Dumbledore is no different.
I think Dumbledore's evident lack of family is something that is kind of strange and as Wheezy posted in Wild Spec - we could be seeing other parts of the story link in here as well ...
In his death - there is still big story in the old one!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, suprised we all missed this ...

OoTP The Woes of Mrs Weasley said:
'That's Dumbledore's brother Aberforth, only time I ever met him, strange bloke ...'

So, guess the question is when will Harry remember that Aberforth is Dumbledore's brother and go speak to him?
This also proves Aberforth was in the Order - the quote came from Moody showing Harry a picture of the old Order ... and Hagrid was in there as well (just to answer another question!)

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I want to add to my previous posts - Dumbledore mentioned that he wasn't entirely sure that Aberforth could read! So, did either of them go to Hogwarts at all?!

I feel funny thinking that Dumbledore had a wife. He just seemed to me like the kind of man who was happy to go through life on his own. But he is also one for adventure, and marriage would have to be one of the biggest adventures anyone could have in their life!

how long until book 7 comes out anyway? i wanna know Mrs Dumbledore and Albus Jnr :)

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Alz said:
Actually, suprised we all missed this ...

So, guess the question is when will Harry remember that Aberforth is Dumbledore's brother and go speak to him?
This also proves Aberforth was in the Order - the quote came from Moody showing Harry a picture of the old Order ... and Hagrid was in there as well (just to answer another question!)

In OotP, when the DA had their first meeting in the Hog's Head, Harry said the bartender, (Aberforth) looked vaguely familar. That's why that little bit was there and what gave away the barman's identity to the reader. JKR seemed surprised when that was brought up, but I thought the clues were quite solid that it was Aberforth. You know the realization has to hit Harry in book seven. The few times Aberforth has been mentioned have been fleeting remarks to Harry. First, Dumbledore talks of how his brother was in the paper for something he did to a goat, and then Mad Eye mentions him from the picture and tells Harry he, (Aberforth) is a strange bloke. I think Harry will either put two and two together at the beginning of the final book, or Aberforth will introduce himself and put Harry into shock that he hadn't figured that one out.

As a side note, I still think that Mrs. Figg is Dumbledore's sister - there are too many mentions of Dumbledore and Aberforth's eccentric behaviors and then Mrs. Figg with her hairnet, string bag with cat food, carpet slippers and the fact that Harry calls her "batty". It sounds like they are all from the same gene pool to me.

SnarkologyMajor

Time Turners
Love that thought Fortescue:D I hadn't entertained the notion of Mrs. Figg as a Dumbledore sibling-it adds up though. And her name is Arabella:D fits nicely, I wonder if those cats of hers give a clue?

We've all looked and looked at the clues pertaining to Aberforth (which ain't much-that's for sure!) and it sure hard to figure him out, although JKR's recent clue on the Black Family Tree, helps confirm that he will probably be the one to fill Harry in on the rest of the missing pieces.

I came across an interesting quote from JKR that seems to imply Aberforth (although I'm open to other ideas)-

July 16, 2005-"I keep killing all my favourite members of The Order of the Phoenix that you have not met properly yet and you will, well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't met them properly yet and you will meet them in Seven, so I am looking forward to that."

To me this screams Aberforth Dumbledore-and another curious thing I noticed is that when asked who does Fawkes belong to-she only ever says Dumbledore and not Albus, so this leaves open the possibility that he actually belongs to Aberforth. She did say that Dumbledore's family is a profitable line of inquiry and I find it telling that she wouldn't say Albus Dumbledore is her favourite member of the OOTP....

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
Hmmm...Arabella, Aberforth and Albus Dumbledore.

that does make sense. they are all quirky or strange, afterall. and who better to have watching over Harry growing up than Dumbledore's own sister? and the fact that she is Mrs Figg just throws us right off the trail, doesn't it!
If this is the case, then i would have to say whatever Aberforth has to offer Harry is extremely valuable!
July 16, 2005-"I keep killing all my favourite members of The Order of the Phoenix that you have not met properly yet and you will, well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't met them properly yet and you will meet them in Seven, so I am looking forward to that."

this is confusing to me. does this mean we will meet them before she kills them off, or after, in like another pensieve moment or a story told or a letter?

SnarkologyMajor

Time Turners
I'm sorry kashlie-looking at that again, hey I'm confused:D I'm such a moron with computers that I can't figure out how to cut and paste:rolleyes: I have to write stuff down and then type it-and missed an essential part of that quote, so here is an another attempt-

Edinburgh press conference-July 16, 2005

Samantha Scattergood-"Which is your favourite member of the Order of the Phoenix?"

JKR-"I keep killing all my favourite members of the Order of the Phoenix, but there is one member of the Order of the Phoenix that you have not met properly and you will, well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't met them properly yet and you will meet them in 7, so I am looking forward to that."

We know that Aberforth is a member from Moody's picture and we keep running into the barman from the Hogshead-plus JKR hinted about Dumbledore's family being important, so this seems to be who she is referring to here. This is another reason why I think that Aberforth may have the real locket since she made a point of him talking with Mundungus, and hurrying away tightening his cloak around his neck when he saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It was very subtle-but why mention it at all unless she was giving us a clue:D

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I agree that Aberforth is the one JKR is talking about, and not to try and convince everyone of my Mrs. Figg is Dumbledore's sister thing, but she is a member of the Order. Remember at the end of GoF, when Dumbledore told Sirius and Bill who they needed to round up from the Order, Dumbledore mentioned Mrs. Figg's name (Arabella) and we haven't properly met her, only the small bit she was in the beginning of OotP. Maybe there will be more then one vague OotP member we will meet properly in book seven?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Just want to backtrack a little - when I put that quote and said I cant believe we all missed it - wasnt to suggest we all didnt suspect Aberforth of being related etc - it was more a direct answer to the question of importance ... Dumbledore's family and the fact Harry does know (although may need reminding) that Aberforth is Dumbledore's family.

Mrs Figg ... now then - that might fit in with 'someone who does magic late in life' maybe?
Figg as Dumbledore's sister ... OMG, that is just too funny but sure as hell makes a lot of sense!
Aberforth and goats - Arabella and cats ... wonder what Dumbledore's bag is?

Given the JKR quote about someone and book 7 - looks pretty odds on for Aberforth to spill the beans no ;)

Luna

Time Turners
It's taken me so long to find this thread!! Remember reading it ages ago and wanted to add to it, so here goes........

I love the idea of Mrs Figg being Dumbledore's sister, it just makes sense to me: The names Arabella, Aberforth and Albus. The fact she is a member of the OOTP and the fact she is the second person Dumbledore tells Sirius to warn at the end of GOF when they're in the hospital wing suggests her importance to DD.

So, with this is mind, I was intrigued to read in OOTP that she had to give Percy details of her parentage. It follows the surprise Amelia Bones and Fudge express at hearing she lives in Little Whinging, she then admits to being a squib which is why she is not registered. Fudge replies,

" 'A Squib, eh?' said Fudge, eyeing her closely. 'We'll be checking that. You'll leave details of your parentage with my assistant Weasley....."

Could this be a clue that her parentage is important? Is this why JKR suggested Dumbledore's family is important - not just Aberforth but also Arabella?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Thanks for digging this up Luna! I must have missed this one during a long absence I had last year.

I think there really may be something to this. Mrs Figg was obviously trusted by Dumbledore to have the honor of watching Harry, I think that says quite a bit right there. With JKR's strong ussages of alliteration, it wouldn't be a far step to say that "Arabella" could be Aberforth and Albus' sister! Arabella has her cats . . . Aberforth has goats . . . Albus has . . . Students!

As far as parentage . . . have we ever been told names of Dumbledore's parents? I don't think we have been told of any of Dumbledore's family other than the hints on Aberforth. Can't say just what it could mean, but blood does play a role in the series. The blood link to Lily's sister Petunia protecting Harry, the arguments over "pure" blood. Blood being needed to open the cave, in Voldemort's rebirth, Dumbledore known for the uses of Dragon blood (wonder if that will amount to something?) This could indeed be significant!

Rory

Time Turners
Under the miscellaneous section of "Extras" on JKRs site she says:
"...Arabella Figg operates as Dumbledore's liasion between the magical and muggle worlds...."

So, Arabella is quite close to DD.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Arabella related to Albus and Aberforth?
LOL - in a twisted way I like that - I mean Dumbledore had to have someone watch Harry all those years and what better and trustworthy than sis?
I mean he has Aberforth looking into things from Hogsmeade - and sis looking after Harry - you know this one is growing on me!!