Female centaurs

Madam Rosmerta

Time Turners
I've been rerererereading Order of the Phoenix, and it struck me that there has been no mention of female centaurs. All the specific centaurs who are named and described have been male, as far as I can remember. And actually, I don't think I've seen a female centaur outside of the HP universe either.

So are there female centaurs?

Boing

Pops in randomly
Well, I guess you'd think there would have to be . . . if they wanted to survive. In ancient mythology, female centaurs were hardly ever mentioned or depicted in artwork. There were some legends that centaurs simply sprang from parts of the earth (like trees or rocks) or from a fully grown horse. So, I guess JKR could be using those myths as the basis for her centaurs, that they are male and came naturally from the earth itself.

Is there mention in Fantastic Beasts . . . about whether or not there are female centaurs? I seem to recall there being a long part on the centaurs due to the whole beast/non-beast dilemma. So perhaps there is mention in there of a female.

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
Boing said:
[...] Is there mention in Fantastic Beasts . . . about whether or not there are female centaurs?

Not a word. The clearest statement is: "The ways of the centaur are shrouded in mystery." (Fantastic Beasts, p. 6).
Hmph.

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
I have always thought of the centaurs as only being male, but as there does not seem to be any mention of the fairer sex, then perhaps they are asexual?! I wonder if this will be explored, although obviously not in any great detail, in the future of the Septology?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Nice post Madam Rosmerta :D

OK - well not sure I can add more than what was said above - I am not sure if there is a fairer species or as Tinky said they are asexual - it just doesnt seem to be that clear?
I think they seem to be of the old mentality - so maybe lil lady Centaurs are at home looking after the lil baby centaurs while the big daddy ones are out being all mean, hunting and looking after them all :D
I just dont know - I think it might even be hard to glimer from what we do know if there is indeed a female version of the centaurs in JKR's world - but given she is a female writer I would assume there is no sexist reason for non disclosure up till now :D

Nagini

Time Turners
It has to be a teensy bit suspicious that there is no mention of a female centaur no? I remember in OoTP that one of the Centaurs called Harry and Hermione foals so from that I would think they must have youngsters whom they would refer to as foals.

Its possible, as Blaise said that the females are all at home at the kitchen sink as it were but horses dont do that forever, they look after the foals until they have grown - usually I think until the first year. But even then it is possible, the Centaurs may live deep inside the forest and the females may never venture from their home.

If there were fowls how would they spring up, fully grown, out of trees?

I like the idea of female centures, but perhaps their role is not in the home slaving away raising the children. It is so western to think so, but as JKR is a woman I think she would make a statement about women's ability's to do the same as men.

Perhaps the men and women centurs run in different herds. This would explain the lack of children and wives, the men could just live on their own the way they want to and when they wanted a female go and find her (typical male).

absenm

Time Turners
Actually, (outside of HP) a female centaur is known as a kentauride. For the most part female centaurs are very very rarely mentioned in mythology, though there are several paintings of them. One famous kentauride (well, not famous but at least mentioned on Google) is named Hylonome. I have no idea how to pronounce her name, but my brain keeps making it sound very simular to Hermione. One note about this female centaur. In her mythology a war waged on which she and her mate joined. Her mate was killed and she therefor killed herself.

More info can be found at http://www.theoi.com/Okeanos/Kentaurides.html.

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Meredith said:
I like the idea of female centures, but perhaps their role is not in the home slaving away raising the children. It is so western to think so, but as JKR is a woman I think she would make a statement about women's ability's to do the same as men.

Perhaps the men and women centurs run in different herds. This would explain the lack of children and wives, the men could just live on their own the way they want to and when they wanted a female go and find her (typical male).

I think JKR has made her stance on femenism and equal rights quite clear with the number of intelligent, powerful women in the series.

However, the centuars way of thinking seems archaic, that they are better than other species, so I don't see why they would have equality within if they don't have it with anyone else. Also, I don't think the idea of them running in seperate herds is very practical, for mating reasons, and I think that it might have been mentioned by now that the male centaurs weren't the only group that needed to be watched out for if there was another group of centaurs about.

Boing

Pops in randomly
I actually like the idea of two separate herds. There's no reason that the female herd would have to live in the Forbidden Forest, so it makes sense that there might not be a mention of keeping watch over them as perhaps they roam around somewhere outside Hogwarts' purview.

Then again, perhaps they are just not important to the story and, since there is such a dearth of information on them in mythology, she has chosen to just keep it to the male species and leave it at that.

Maybe the female centurs migrate to and from the Forbidden Forest? That could work. But where would they live now?

What if the females were targeted by Voldemort and their whereabouts are hidden? Could that be the reason why the centurs watch the skies for signs of evil so vigillantly, as opposed to just stat gazing.

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
i have always assumed that the female centaurs stayed in the village. i mean, if u look at human tribes (bad example because centaurs in JKR's world hate being compared to humans, and centaurs are not human) the women tend to stay in the domestic space raisng the children and tending the home. i would assume the centaurs have a more tribal society and therefore the men would go out hunting and would protect the herd while the women stayed in the village and raised the children. but maybe the centaur males only protect the tribe and the females run it? that would be interesting. or maybe the females look like the males except that they have a more femine male torso (instead of a female human torso) and a female horses body? i dunno, i just assume the female centaurs stayed in the centaur village and let the men handle the representitive business, being informed of what was happening and having a say in decisions that affect the tribe.

Last edited:

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Z38.1Kentaurides.jpg

Z38.1 APHRODITE & THE KENTAURIDES

Museum Collection: Bardo Museum, Tunis, Tunisia
Catalogue Number: TBA
Type: Mosaic
Context: Elles
Date: C4th AD
Period: Late Roman

SUMMARY

A pair of female Kentauroi (Centaurs) raise a crown above the head of the goddess Aphrodite.

There, they do exist in legend.
http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Kentaurides.html

Last edited:

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Has anyone seen Narnia, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe? They have female centaurs in that movie, and spoken about in the books than in the one movie.