Gilderoy Lockheart

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
OK, at the end of CoS, Gilderoy Lockheart was neatly disposed of in a nice little package with all the ends tied up, or so we thought, until OotP, when he was re-introduced. Was there a reason that he was brought back, and for showing that he has made progress to remember? Is this just a way of showing how he ended up, or does Gilderoy have a larger role to play?

I found this quote from JKR, and I thought it was interesting, at least :
JKR Interview said:
People on the internet want to know if Gilderoy Lockhart is going to come back.

JKR: Gilderoy Lockhart, bless him, is currently residing in St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries and his memory is still gone. So at the moment, he’s in no fit state to go anywhere. Which I think serves him right.

You didn’t quite answer the question as to whether he will be back or not.

JKR: Yeah, well, you know, you’ve got to sometimes dodge these things.

Is this just a way of her leading us on, or will he really be important and she just can't tell us?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhh - I like this!
I thought it was telling that JKR bought him back in OoTP - that just seemed a little clumsy to me!
If she didn't have plans for him - she should have left him back in CoS ...
See this is why I felt he was a good candidate for HBP - because he was in CoS (which JKR thought about calling HBP) and then suddenly he is thrust back into the storyline ..
I love her last response thou - that is so telling to me that she has something in mind for him - not sure what beyond the obvious I stated above.

Boing

Pops in randomly
I have to agree. She is always very straightforward in her answers to questions that she can answer. To those that will give away some piece of protected information, she says she can't answer it . . .

So that leads directly to Lockhart coming back. But I have to agree - in what capacity. Interesting connection between HBP and CoS . . . and wouldn't he just love being called a prince?! :D

I'll have to think more about where he could come in, but yeah, it does seem that he will make another appearance.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well what I found interesting was the lack of details of him in CoS - sure we found out in the end half his 'achievements' came from being a master of memory modifiers and taking others credit - but nothing really deep about him.
He seemed to be well turned out - almost posh - which is why the Luvvie who played him in the film was so perfect :D
I mean - HBP - I am still really torn and impressions say no - but I did suggest him way back - so who knows - I could be a Ron :p

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Boing said:
I have to agree. She is always very straightforward in her answers to questions that she can answer. To those that will give away some piece of protected information, she says she can't answer it . . .

So that leads directly to Lockhart coming back. But I have to agree - in what capacity. Interesting connection between HBP and CoS . . . and wouldn't he just love being called a prince?! :D

I think he was more like a drama queen myself!! :)

However, back to the question in hand, I think that yes, JKR did neatly avoid the question, and probably for good reason - I have said before that she is unlikely to say, in answer to a question at such events, "Yep, you got me, that is what is going to happen!"

Not sure about Lockhart being the HBP tho, I imagine the HBP to be someone courageous, fearless and brave - words that I would not associate with dear Gilderoy!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Hey I dont want to be a party pooper etc - but when did JKR make that comment?
Was it pre OoTP - because if so - well he was back ...
If it is post - then yah more to think about.

BTW - would suggest you read JKR's site about Lockheart - because as much as she mocks the character - it was interesting :p

Boing

Pops in randomly
That quote *does* sound like it was pre OotP. I guess she could have just been throwing out a red herring - because he did come back, just not in an important way (yet). However, if it wasn't a red herring, then even if the quote was before OotP, it certainly sounds like he is going to come back in a more dramatic role . .. :)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah - Hey Wheezy hun can you get a date check on your quote please hun - would be interested to know if this was post OoTP.
I don't thinks she has done that many interviews ect since- she did World Book Day and also Edinburgh book festival of something ...
I have studied both of those interview at length and don't remember her talking about him ...

Nagini

Time Turners
I dont remember that question at the Edinburgh Book Festival either but it is interesting.

I remember when you predicted Lockhart as the HBP Blaise and I also remember a quote Lockhart made about muggle and wizards - want me to quote it for ya? :D okay! ;)

Professor Lockhart said:
'Tut, tut - hardly any of you remembered that my favourite colour is lilac. I say so in Year with a Yeti. And a few of you need to read Wanderings with Werewolves more carefully - I clearly state in chapter twelve that my ideal birthday gift would be harmony between all magic and non-magic peoples - though I wouldn't say no to a large bottle of Ogden's Old Firewhisky!'

I like the fact that his favourite colour is lilac too, years ago in Britain, only royalty could wear the colour purple and lilac is very like purple. :D

If he was the HBP then I bet he doesn't know about it or his memory was modified in some way as he is so in love with himself he could not have failed to tell everyone. I dont like the idea of him being the Prince but then nobody said Prince's couldn't be spinless selfish people. :)

Boing

Pops in randomly
Wow! Good quote there, Nagini! Harmony between magical and non-magical peoples at the time sounded so pompous, like an answer you knew you had to give to make people happy, but that could really be a clue!

And did anyone else notice that reference to the number 12?! ;)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Random how that happens right :D
Nice quote Gini - and yeah - I remember prediciting him as HBP - not sure but still have a feeling about that one.
He was dragged back into the storylines in OoTP after an apparant nice finish up at the end of CoS ... so yah ... ask why JKR ressurected him ... if he was a foyle for the Longbottoms moment - I am sure there are 101 ways JKR could have done it easier ;)

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Actually, Gilderoy loved no one but himself, before he lost his memory. He still knows that he is famous, and he is a bit nig headed, but I don't think that it would be quite possible for him to be as full of himself because he doesn't have any accomplishments he could blow out of proportion yet. He was excited about learning joined up writing, but that could be because of the attention and encouragement of the nurse on the ward. To them, him regaining his memory would be a good thing, but to pretty much everyone else, it would be a lot nicer if he never remembered how he used to be and was never the same. I don't know, I kinda agree with Blaise on this one, it doesn't make sense that JKR would re-introduce him just for the purpose of showing the Longbottoms, because now she almost has to do a storyline with him, even if only to get rid of him again, and it would have been easier to just not have had him there at all if it were only to show the Longbottoms.

Boing

Pops in randomly
I was reading on another site about HBP and under their section on "Facts," they had things that they had learned about HBP from JKR's appearances. One was from the Edinburgh Book Festival last year and it said that Lockhart was not going to appear in future books. I clicked on the link to the transcript, but couldn't find any indication in the transcript that it was true . . . has anyone else heard this?

Morfin Gaunt

dumbledores army
Althougth the quote is extremely interesting, i thought the only reason lockhart was re-introduced was to give us a reason to meet nevilles parents, as im sure people cant just go peeking into rooms in differnet departments to what their patients in

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
true, but she could have used any patient in that ward to get the trio into the ward. i think she used Lockhart as a contrast with the Longbottoms. think about, Lockhart has amnesia brought about by a charm while the Longbottoms have been driven insane by the cruciatis curse. Lockhart is making a recovery (though it is slow, having been in the ward for roughly 3 years, and that he may one day in the far future be able to live on his own even if he doesnt recover all of his memories) while the Longbottoms have been in the ward for years and dont seem to have recovered at all, and will probably be there til they die. i think it shows the reader that St. Mungo's healers can heal a great amount of ailments, and cure almost anything (shown by the two characters introduced: Lockhart and the guy who died because of a devils snare) but that at the same time, they arent all powerful and cant cure everything (shown by the Longbottoms). so Lockhart is used to get the trio into the ward, but serves the larger purpose of showing the skills that future healers will need, and that trained healers have.