How will Harry defeat Voldemort?

happy_hannah

Time Turners
a thought just occured to me, in HBP dumbledore tells harry about a room in the ministry of magic that is filled with a power so great bla bla bla and it is full of what harry has which is LOVE, can harry, like push voldemort in there or something? or can harry harness the power in there to help defeat voldemort?

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
There is a proud filmic tradition of the hero 'pushing the villain back onto something sharp' in order to kill him, but not really purposefully being a murderer. I had never noticed how common this was until someone pointed out the cliche. Perhaps Harry could push V in there.

Lately, I've been wondering about the Dementor's Kiss, and what it would do the Voldemort. Maybe that cover, where they're in the colloseum place could be a battle, and the hooded figures in the audience are Dementors, not Death Eaters, and they await the loser of the battle with pursed lips. In this way too, Harry could defeat the Dark Lord and not damage his own soul.

But sometimes a hero can't get through without a bit of soul damage. The journey to Mordor certainly took more than Frodo had to give. There a re sacrifices all through the books - Dumbledore, Sirius. We are not invited to mourne these loses, but glorify the sacrifice.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I just wondered in the context of HiaH if the dementor could help him out here - if Harry really is a horcrux of Voldemort he would need to die in order to stand the chance of killing Voldemort - well in this case why not have a dementor suck that piece of soul out of him?
That piece will be destroyed and then onto the main man ... I would buy that :p

I have decided now that Harry will kill Voldemort by giving him a big squishy hug and a little kiss on the cheek - that ought to make the 'love' theorist happy no ;o)

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I have decided now that Harry will kill Voldemort by giving him a big squishy hug and a little kiss on the cheek - that ought to make the 'love' theorist happy no ;o)
*the sound of SPF spewing in her lap* . . .

Love will play a role, that much we have been told by Dumbledore and JKR herself. but a hug and kiss???? I think not LOL!:rolleyes:

I think I have given up on trying to figure out just how things will play out . . . one, there just aren't enough clues to know anything for sure other than that the series will end (and even that has some very faint question marks) and two . . . right now, I don't want to know. I keep asking myself, "Why do we keep trying to figure out what will happen when the knowing of it will spoil the book?" well, the answer is the need to know now rather than later, but now I'm hanging up the guessing hat on this one. (I however will not hesitate to shoot down anything I find as outrageous!;))

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
Love will play a role, that much we have been told by Dumbledore and JKR herself. but a hug and kiss???? I think not LOL!:rolleyes:

Surely not. But we've just got to look at how Dumbledore uses the word "love" to reassure ourselves what could be meant and what couldn't. When DD tells Harry one of his admirable qualities is to give/show/feel love, he isn't referring to the quality of the kisses exchanged between Harry and Ginny, but he is referring to his ability to feel with others, to *sympathize* in the full meaning of the word: to suffer with others who are suffering. In Latin terms, Harry's love is not so much "amor", but "caritas".
And this is where DD's "lessons" for Harry come in: I'm convinced that DD showed Harry in what miserable conditions Voldemort grew up in order to enable Harry to pity him - not exclusively, of course, there will always be hate and revulsion mixed up in Harry's feelings for the monster, but still ...

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
That's right Sir Cads . . . Dumbldeore sought to bring Harry to the point of sympathesing with the young Tom Riddle, and even brought it to Harry's attention when he saw it happening. JKR has said that Riddle has never known love . . . that I believe works both ways, He has never given love to others, and has never had the experience of someone loving him. Could it be . . . that he secretly craves to be loved? Voldemort outwardly despises love, but many people despise those who have what they greatly desire for themselves.

paintball

Time Turners
Dumbledore has already told Harry and therefore us why Harry's power of love is so important. He will never be able to be tempted by Voldemort to be seduced by the dark arts. I look at this as being similar to Jesus's ability to come face to face with the Devil and not be tempted.

If Voldemort is able to be trapped, just think how valuable this will make Harry. He will be the only person that we know that can come face to face with Voldemort and not be tempted to free him.

I can see Deathly Hallows ending with Vapormort trapped with at least one horcrux remaining and Harry becoming an Auror and assigned the task of locating this last horcrux. I can see him visiting Voldemort in his trap on a regular basis to see if he's had enough yet and wants to go ahead and just reveal the location of this final horcrux.

I also like the idea of Harry being the final horcrux and Harry visiting Voldemort in his trap on a regular basis and telling Voldemort that he intends to live a very long and happy life, etc.

Harry being able to be face to face with Voldemort and resist all of Voldemort's powers of corruption is were the power of love comes in. Dumbledore told Harry this in HBP. All we had to do was to listen to Dumbledore. This is of course just my opinion.

cj633

Time Turners
JKR has said that Riddle has never known love . . . that I believe works both ways, He has never given love to others, and has never had the experience of someone loving him. Could it be . . . that he secretly craves to be loved? Voldemort outwardly despises love, but many people despise those who have what they greatly desire for themselves.

I just got through watching Night at the Museum with my son. I can't invision Voldemort having a therapy session like Ben Stiller has with Atilla the Hun. But I think love will defeat him whether it is Harry' s love or the love others have for Harry and their willingness to help him even if it means their death.

tobias

Time Turners
Call me nostalgic but I have always wanted this series to end a certain way. I want Harry to kill Vodemort but not be a murderer. I want Harry to stay Harry. I want him to survive this whole mess and still be who he was.

After Harry kills the shell that is Voldemort (probably by accidentally pushing him on a sharp stick... :.) ) the last horcrux comes into play: Harry himself.

So Voldy comes home to his last soul piece in Harry. What happens then? Just think OotP. Only this time when love drives out Voldy, he dies.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
cj633 said:
I just got through watching Night at the Museum with my son. I can't invision Voldemort having a therapy session like Ben Stiller has with Atilla the Hun.
ummmm . . . no . . . that isn't exactly the scene I had in mind LOL! (love that movie though)

As I said in another thread, Voldemort is easily blindsighted by things he underestiamtes, and we have already seen that love is one. I think Voldemort may be confused by someone showing him an act of compassion or love . . . forgiveness . . . distracted, he will becomve vulnerable for just long enough . . .

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Call me nostalgic but I have always wanted this series to end a certain way. I want Harry to kill Vodemort but not be a murderer. I want Harry to stay Harry. I want him to survive this whole mess and still be who he was.

After Harry kills the shell that is Voldemort (probably by accidentally pushing him on a sharp stick... :.) ) the last horcrux comes into play: Harry himself.

So Voldy comes home to his last soul piece in Harry. What happens then? Just think OotP. Only this time when love drives out Voldy, he dies.
I touched upon this in another thread but your last comment is true - this last piece of Voldemorts soul I believe it being polluted by Harry - I think the 2 parts there were suppose to remain seperate and hidden - Harry's soul and Voldemort's fragment, are starting to leak into each other hence the turmoiled Harry we have seen in OoTP and HBP ...
I believe that last piece of Voldemort's soul - he wouldnt want it back, because I think it will come back with a whole new load of emotions he has never felt or experienced and it would drive him mad, to the point of suicide!

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
You guys just don't get it . . . HiNaH!!! I want the mailing addy of everyone who thinks HiaH . . . then after the book is read, I'm sending you all some crow pie!

Arwan

Time Turners
SPF - I guess they have not read any of your reasons as to why this is could not be true or my post. That facts remain the same if Harry was a Horcrux he would have to destroy himself before he could destroy Voldemort which would be truly magical since HE WOULD BE DEAD!

Also I don't think Voldemort ever plan on making Harry a Horcrux since he went there to kill him and even did the whole AK thing and somehow a corpse just doesn't seem like a good place to hide a Horcrux.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Thank-You Arwan!!! When the day comes and we are victorious, we will revel in the glory of having been right . . . and . . . rub it in to those who swear we are wrong!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
SPF - I guess they have not read any of your reasons as to why this is could not be true or my post. That facts remain the same if Harry was a Horcrux he would have to destroy himself before he could destroy Voldemort which would be truly magical since HE WOULD BE DEAD!

Also I don't think Voldemort ever plan on making Harry a Horcrux since he went there to kill him and even did the whole AK thing and somehow a corpse just doesn't seem like a good place to hide a Horcrux.
I agree, he didnt set out to make Harry a horcrux - he wanted to kill him, using AK ... but wait, that didn't go to plan either right?
Harry will realize he has this extra piece he needs to destroy before Voldemort can be killed ... but then again does he?
Saw Voldemort spawns from the tainted Potter soul portion, I can still see this leading to Voldemort wanting to take his own life.
Irregardless - I can still see Harry laying down his life to rid the piece but in the process survive. We have soul vacuum (dementors) and also the veil - both could be used to extract that piece of soul that Harry doesn't want or require!
But alas we digress - this is about how Harry will defeat Voldemort - and I am still partial that Harry will give Voldemort something he cant deal with - positive emotions - love, guilt, friendship - somehow he will infect Voldemort with positive emotion and Voldemort will take care of the rest, someone devoid of nice emotion suddenly swimming with them - yep, he will take care of killing himself!
My last guess - Harry will get inside Nagini (bit like in OoTP) and he will have her consume her master - that is almost cyclic is it not - the snake eating itself - hello Ouroboros!