Is Narcissa Malfoy a Parselmouth?

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
The idea sprung at me while I was reading another book. The book is called Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings. In the book there's an evil Serpent Queen, Salmissra. She speaks to the snake God in much the same way that Harry talks to the snake in CoS.

Harry's perception of Narcissa when he first sees her at the World Cup is not very flattering - "His mother was blonde too; tall and slim, she would have been nice-looking if she hadn't been wearing a look that suggested there was a nasty smell under her nose." (GoF, pg 101 US) It sounds like she has the perfect facial features for making those spitting and hissing noises :D

There is not a lot of support in HP to back this assumption up, but JKR said Narcissa was going to play a bigger role in the story now that Lucius was in Azkaban, and I find her name curious. Narcissa sounds like a noise you'd make if you could talk to snakes, just in the same way as does Salizar Slytherin.

Any thoughts?
 

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
Fortescue said:
[...] and I find her name curious. Narcissa sounds like a noise you'd make if you could talk to snakes, just in the same way as does Salizar Slytherin.

Any thoughts?

You're right about the hissing sounds, but there is more to her name. "Narcissus" in classical mythology was a beautiful youth who fell in love with his own reflection in a pool. Because he was unable to tear himself away from the image, he wasted away and died. So the term “narcissists” means people completely absorbed in themselves.

This is particularly appropriate for this family, who are - in a wider sense - not only "in love" with themselves, but also with their "pureblood" gang. Perhaps it is an indication of the pureblood obsession's future: Because they cannot feel any positive feelings for other people, they will die out (or at least become very weak).

Just my two cents.
 

cindyqtpi

Time Turners
i had never thought of the sound of her name. Isn't that called Onomatopoeia? i like that! except that the Weasley's seem like they would be bad if we were using that theory. b/c weasley jsut sounds like a scheming kind of person. but i guess fred and George are sort of scheming!
 

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
JKR went to great lengths to make it clear that parselmouth was a very rare gift.
Given this and the complete lack of even the tiniest hint that she could hold those powers I am gonna have to go with a no I don't think so.
I like the thinking behind it - just don't there is anything to support it.
 

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Sir Cadogan said:
You're right about the hissing sounds, but there is more to her name. "Narcissus" in classical mythology was a beautiful youth who fell in love with his own reflection in a pool. Because he was unable to tear himself away from the image, he wasted away and died. So the term “narcissists” means people completely absorbed in themselves.

I love that story! :D


cindyqtpi said:
i had never thought of the sound of her name. Isn't that called Onomatopoeia? i like that! except that the Weasley's seem like they would be bad if we were using that theory. b/c weasley jsut sounds like a scheming kind of person. but i guess fred and George are sort of scheming!

As soon as I read the name Salmissra, Narcissa popped in my mind. The hard 's' in her name when you say it out loud sounds like you're speaking parseltongue. I thought immediately of snakes and with the description I remembered from GoF of her, it sparked the thought. It might not be correct but it would be a good twist to the story. I don't think 'Weasley' sounds snakey in the same way. :D
 

Haley's Comet

Time Turners
Good thread, Fortescue! Not much is known about Narcissa Malfoy, but her character, I am sure, will reveal itself as the Harry Potter story further unfolds.

"I'm your huckleberry."
 

Boing

Pops in randomly
You know what this thread has got me thinking about? Did Narcissa attend Hogwarts? I assume coming from a pureblood and what seems to be very rich family, she would have attended school. I only ask if she went to Hogwarts because didn't she want Draco to go to Durmstrang? Could it be that she went there as well?

Now, if she did go to Durmstrang, it is possible that she could be a parselmouth because there is a focus in the books on those wizards who attended Hogwarts. If it has been mentioned that Tom Riddle was the first parselmouth in many, many years, perhaps that was just at Hogwarts. She could have attended another school and they might not know of her talents.

Having said that, I don't think she is, though. We would have seen some other evidence . . . especially from Draco during the duel I think when Harry's ability came to light . . .
 

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
Narcissssssa soundsssss like she wasss named by ssssomeone who sssspoke Parssseltongue

When Harry went to get his books in PoA in Diagon Alley, the owner of the bookshop asked if he was from Hogwarts, meaning it isn't just Hogwarts students that buy from there. I am guessing some of the darker families are probably happy to send their children off to Durmstrang. Where did Lucious Malfoy attend school, hmm? Maybe he and Narcissa met at Durmstrang, and she hated it, but Beauxbaton wasn't an option due to the Headmaster's heritage?

How close was Narcissa and Bellatrix's family to Voldemort?
 

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Boing said:
You know what this thread has got me thinking about? Did Narcissa attend Hogwarts? I assume coming from a pureblood and what seems to be very rich family, she would have attended school. I only ask if she went to Hogwarts because didn't she want Draco to go to Durmstrang? Could it be that she went there as well?

It's not mentioned whether Narcissa attended Hogwarts, but I'd assume she did. When Draco mentioned Durmstrang, he said his father wanted him to got there but he said his mother didn't want him going that far away from home. It seems that all the wizards in the area attended Hogwarts. Notice in the book the two Durmstrang students who spoke had the accent Krum had and the other school was French.

Boing said:
Having said that, I don't think she is, though. We would have seen some other evidence . . . especially from Draco during the duel I think when Harry's ability came to light . . .

I guess I'd have to look at it as maybe Draco didn't know his mom could speak Parseltongue. In the early books Draco seemed quite ignorant of his parents actions for the most part. As he got in a few tussles with Harry, Draco seemed to become better informed of things regarding what his father was up to. I guess after several times of finding Draco, Crabbe and Goyle as nothing but oozing blobs on the Hogwarts express after Harry and company got through hexing them, maybe the Malfoy's thought Draco needed a bit more education regarding the Dark Arts and their actions. :D
 

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
There is a movie from 1947 called black narcissus...havent seen it but it sounded good Narcissa Black Malfoy huh...I thought that Narcissius turned into a flower and thats how we get the name of that type of daffodil? - my favorite flower. I got this quote from http://www.online-mythology.com/echo_narcissus/
The fable of Narcissus is often alluded to by the poets. Here
are two epigrams which treat it in different ways. The first is
by Goldsmith:

"ON A BEAUTIFUL YOUTH STRUCK BLIND BY LIGHTNING:

"Sure 'twas by Providence designed,
Rather in pity than in hate,
That he should be like Cupid blind,
To save him from Narcissus' fate"

The other is by Cowper:

"ON AN UGLY FELLOW

"Beware, my friend, of crystal brook
Or fountain, lest that hideous hook.
Thy nose, thou chance to see;
Narcissus' fate would then be thine,
And self-detested thou would'st pine,
As self-enamored he."
The part about the lightning makes me curious and also because she is so vain and thinks she is so above everyone it really makes me think about the tale.
 

Padma Patil

Dumbledore's Girl
I'm going to make this simple, I don't think Narcissa is a parslemouth. Possibility of her father being so (obviously Mrs. Black wasn't, judging by her portrait) but I think its a deffinate no for Narcissa.


P.S.
This is my 400th post! Yay! :D
 
Top