Magic Late in Life

Finnegan

Bachelor of Arts
JKR has mentioned that someone who had not previously been able to do magic will find that ability late in life. So this probably means that either a Muggle or a Squib will suddenly stop being a Muggle or a Squib.

The way I see it, we have three obvious candidates: Petunia Dursley (my personal favourite), Arabella Figg, and Argus Filch. Which one of these do you think it'll be? Or will it be someone completely different?

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Nice one Finnegan! Where did you hear this?

I agree with your personal favourite that it will be Petunia Dursley, and wonder whether Dumbledore's 'last', referring to the Howler she received in OotP, may have suggested to Petunia that the time was nearing that she would be able to use magic herself?

I think that Figgy has already resigned herself to never being able to do magic, and Filch has tried desperately to be able to do magic, and if he can't do it even working within the most magical place in England, I don't think is ever going to be able to do it! :D

Kingsley

Time Turners
I think it would have to be petunia since vernon is more anti wizard than she is and the irony would be appreciated
Petunia's knowledge of the wizarding world is unwelcome also which makes it unlike the other 2 candidates who have no problem being in it

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Given JKR's recent comments on Petunia, you have to be liking the odd's it will be her ...
JKR's comments were almost mocking when you read them but then again you cant take that as a sure fire sign, encouraging none the less ...
Failing that I would love to say Dudley, just because of the sheer irony of all it would mean:)

Madam Rosmerta

Time Turners
I predict it will be... Filch!

During the tumult, Mrs. Norris's life will be in danger, and one of the students (Harry perhaps) will save her.

Suddenly Filch will realize he was wrong all these years to hate the students.

His heart overflowing with gratitude, pointless hate eliminated, he will realize that the magic was in him all along.

The power of love!

Just kidding. I will vomit if anything like that happens. I'm hoping it is Dudley. How will Petunia and Vernon cope?

Finnegan

Bachelor of Arts
Ah, but JKR said "late in life". (I need to find that quote, but she used the word "late".) Now, if Dudley suddenly learned how to do magic at say, the age of 17, it wouldn't exactly be late in life. So I'm still leaning towards Petunia.

I mean, as the only family that Harry has left, the Dursleys would make a pretty obvious target for the Death Eaters - what if Petunia suddenly learned how to magically defend herself, out of sheer necessity? I think it would be cool if she stopped repressing the ability when she simply didn't have any choice any longer - a sort of "do or die" thing. Who knows - Vernon might even be grateful. ;)

Tonks

Unspeakable
LMAO Madam Rosmerta! I agree, that would definitely be sickening.

I think I need to agree with the consensus here and say Petunia as well. She would, without a doubt, be the most interesting possibility. And just imagine Vernon and Dudley- too funny!

I do have to mention that it would be a nice twist by JKR if it was instead Filch. Could the Kwikspell letter have been forshadowing, and not just a bit to inform us that Filch was a Squib? :)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
In support of Petunia, someone said above she will do it unknowingly - and I tend to agree!
I think Petunia live safe in the knowledge that Voldemort and the other Death Eaters cant touch her or her family as long as Harry is around ...
We also know that Voldemort can now touch Harry, is this protection of Privat Drive now gone?
If so, is it possible to assume that one summer a Dark Lord or his followers will come calling?
If so, Would Petunia be faced with seeing her loved ones in mortal danger and it awakens something inside of her she never knew she had?
Could it be that she is as gifted as sister but never wanted to pursue it, instead to ridicule and make light of it?
What would the effect be on her husband and son when they see Mum do 'freaky magic' in order to protect the ones she loves?

Boing

Pops in randomly
I tend also to believe that it will be Petunia. She is definitely the one I want to see it happen to. Also, JKR did say that Petunia is not a Squib, but that was good thinking. We know she can't be a Squib because she is supposedly Muggle-born.

My thinking is also this - what if Dudley is not just a name picked out of thin air, but rather seen as a match with the word "squib" - a squib is a firecracker that does not light or does not work properly. ALSO KNOWN AS A DUD!!! So, if a squib is someone born to magical parents who cannot do magic, what if Petunia is in fact a witch, making Dudley born of at least one magical parent and, with no magical ability whatsoever in him, he is referred to as a Dud . . .

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Wow - you are spot on there Boing! Good one!

So do we think then that Dudley is aware of this link, and perhaps the jealousy Petunia once felt for her sister because of her abilities, Dudders now feels for his cousin, Harry?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Once again JKR's comments spawn all manner of questions!
We know that she isnt of immediate magical blood because both her and Lily were Muggleborn - we also know she isnt a squib as JKR has now confirmed that ...
But JKR does allow the imagination race as to what she could be - because she doesnt just come out and say Petunia isnt magical in any way ...

Boing like the link but Dudders doing magic - *shudder*
I also have to go with a post someone made earlier with JKR's comments 'someone later in life' which suggests someone a little older ...
The usual suspects are Mrs Figg (I know she is a squib!) Filch (Same deal) Petunia and some even go as far as to say Vernon, has to be an outsider but that is the most amusing in my world!

Boing

Pops in randomly
Blaise, to clarify, I meant that Dudley is a "dud" as in, will never do magic, even though he is born to someone magical - born to Petunia. I was furthering my evidence for the person later in life to be Petunia. I believe she is magical even though she does not show it, so Dudley would have been born to a witch, but doesn't show any magical ability and is therefore a "dud." Just liked the idea that it was a play on words - did not in any way mean that Dudley would do magic - I think that's completely out of the question!

PrettyMS.Potter

Time Turners
I wanted to point this out to everyone:

What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors in book five?
JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out!

It is said anyone with magical power or back ground can see the dementor. Harry's neighbor for example. What if Dudley can see them? that means either him or petunia have some magic in them. ;)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OK, now that is one great post!
Umm - well with Figgy we know she is linked into the magical world but Dudley - this just has to fuel the debate about Petunia and her 'supressed' magical abilities!
It isnt unheard of, and perhaps why JKR did it, to have 2 people from a Muggle background be magical - well seem Petunia might be the dark horse afterall!

Boing

Pops in randomly
Well, we don't know that Dudley actually saw the Dementors, though. All we know is that he felt their effects, which we know is possible for Muggles.

What JKR was saying there was that we'll find out what Dudley's worst memories are - and perhaps they have something to do with Petunia's magic and Voldemort???

Tonks

Unspeakable
Boing said:
Well, we don't know that Dudley actually saw the Dementors, though. All we know is that he felt their effects, which we know is possible for Muggles.

What JKR was saying there was that we'll find out what Dudley's worst memories are - and perhaps they have something to do with Petunia's magic and Voldemort???
Yeah, that's what I had thought as well. Muggles can feel the air go all cold and feel "as though they will never be happy again", but they can't actually see the dementors. That's almost obvious in OotP because Harry yells for his cousin to stop because he's going right at it.

This should interest those of you who are thinking about Dud. ;)
JKR Edinburgh Book Festival Q&A
Is there more to Dudley than meets the eye?

No. [Laughter]. What you see is what you get. I am happy to say that he is definitely a character without much back story. He is just Dudley. The next book, Half Blood Prince, is the least that you see of the Dursleys. You see them quite briefly. You see them a bit more in the final book, but you don’t get a lot of Dudley in book six—very few lines. I am sorry if there are Dudley fans out there, but I think you need to look at your priorities if it is Dudley that you are looking forward to. [Laughter].

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Back at ya babes :)

JKR World Book day chat said:
Amy: What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors in book five?
JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out!
Notice the question said what did Dudley see?

Boing

Pops in randomly
Okay, see I am taking that question - What did Dudley see when he faced the Dementors as

What did Dudley see in his mind as his worst memory when he was faced with the Dementors,

NOT

What did Dudley see when he looked at a Dementor

So, I think it's still a logical reaction to say that he couldn't see them, especially as he was running right at them (thanks to earlier poster for that bit of information!).