Magic Late in Life

Tonks

Unspeakable
Back at YOU Bla. :D
OotP: Ch. 1 - Dudley Demented
Dudley's terrified voice broke in Harry's ear.
"W-what are you d-doing? St-stop it!"
"I'm not doing anything! Shut up and don't move!"
"I c-can't see! I've g-gone blind! I- "
"I said shut up!"
Harry stood stock-still, turning his sighless eyes left and right. The cold was so intense that he was shivering all over; goose bumps had erupted up his arms, and the hairs on the back of his neck were standing up - he opened his eyes to their fullest extent, staring blankly around, unseeing ...
It was impossible ... They couldn't be here ... Not in Little Whinging ... He strained his ears ... He would hear them before he saw them ...
"I'll t-tell Dad!" Dudley whimpered. "W-where are you? What are you d-do - ?"
So based on that, I agree with Boing on the interpretation of the question. I see that as a question asking what Dudley sees in his mind, because apparently he can't see with his eyes.

Anyway, that should be interesting to find out what Dudley's worst memory is, but I still don't think he will have magical powers. Also, "late in life" doesn't exactly seem like it fits Dudley; he seems too young for that.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
We could too and fro this one, I would say he was seeing them up to a point but I actually agree it isnt him, so no real point in context of the topic ;)

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
I agree that the person that will do magic late in life is not Dudley, but I don't like the idea that it will be Petunia either. I just think that it is too obvious... Also, other than the "unintentional" magic that Harry was able to do (i.e. make glass vanish, putting himself atop the roof at school, make his hair grow overnight, blowing up his aunt), which helped him get himself out of harms way, but wouldn't help in trying to save her family in any way, Petunia wouldn't be able to do any magic, as she would not know any spells. I think it is more likely that one of the squibs that at least have a general knowledge of magic will do magic, I just am not sure I am interested in either of the 2 squibs that we know being able to do magic all of a sudden...

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
I'm just taking a guess but I think that based a lot on the 5th book that Neville is the one that will be able to do magic later in life...i donno its just a feeling...i dont think that she means that they cant do magic at all but that they arent very good at it, maybe. She has also said that Neville will play an important roll in the remander of the books(see my post on spinners end) this is also pointing me in this direction. I also think that if its not Neville then it should be Petuina also because of the 5th book.

Kingsley

Time Turners
I get it--you mean better magic
Yes neville is better these days and one of my favorite scenes in Book 5 was the showdown between the death eaters and our gang
But I think she was hinting towards magic as in the first time--like a squib or a muggle performing it
Petunia is everyone's pick these days for muggle so I would have to agree with the latter :)

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Yeah I cant wait to see what the DA is going to do now that they have been in one battle with the dark side, will it make them more scared or confident?!

I also thought of Neville. Perhaps the horror of what happened to his parents had scarred Neville so much he had blocked some of his powers. His meeting with Bellatrix Lestrange may be the turning point for him. He certainly improved immensely at the DA classes - was that after seeing the paper with news of the Azkaban escape? Maybe the sweet wrappers his mother keeps giving him are significant (charmed to prevent him from becoming a powerful wizard, which in turn would make him more of a target to the DEs?)

Boing

Pops in randomly
Hmm, I had never thought of the question that way. I still prefer to think of it as performing magic late in life for the first time - like someone we are surprised to see.

I think Neville has always been able to do magic and that it's not much of a surprise. JKR tends to be fairly up front with her clues and hints, so I don't think she'd tell us that someone will perform magic late in life and then have it be someone who's been performing magic all along.

I had also taken it to mean later in life, like past school. But, for a person in the magical world, I can see how late in life could mean adolescence . . .

Still, I'm rooting for Petunia!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
mimbulus mimbletonia said:
I also thought of Neville. Perhaps the horror of what happened to his parents had scarred Neville so much he had blocked some of his powers. His meeting with Bellatrix Lestrange may be the turning point for him. He certainly improved immensely at the DA classes - was that after seeing the paper with news of the Azkaban escape? Maybe the sweet wrappers his mother keeps giving him are significant (charmed to prevent him from becoming a powerful wizard, which in turn would make him more of a target to the DEs?)
Wow - never looked at it that way - nice :D
Thing is I am with Boing - Neville can do magic - not exactly too well - but hey can do it ...
I was thinking JKR reffered to someone like Filch or Mrs Figg - at her word someone we have never seen do magic and also look most unlikely to ever perform it ...

I like Petunia as well - I dont know - JKR is building her up now - OoTP and then her comments on her website ... I think she has to be fav ...

Nagini

Time Turners
Yeah I agree that Neville can already do magic and is a wizard. Also the later in life part suggested to me that it was someone older. Although it is a nice idea about the sweet wrappers! :)

On the note of who it could be that performs magic, although Petunia is my favourite I am thinking that it might be Arabella Figg. She seems to even know the terms of magic or the name of the spells at any rate. She said she couldn't even transfigure a tea bag which suggests to me that she is trying or has tried to do magic. Perhaps Dumbledore will perform a spell that enables her to perform basic magic so she can alert him if something happens to Harry?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well see Filch - he is doing a Kwik Spell course - obvious he wants to be magical even thou he isnt - and well knowing Filch he didnt take the course just to while away the hours.
I think there is an outside chance he might be the one - and just imagine how funny it would be!
I have this vision of him cornering Harry and co - then suddenly something appears and he just break out this spell - saves the gang and becomes a hero - ok a little to over the top maybe :p

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I think that Petunia could be the one. I wonder if she is Lily's younger sister? If so, when she was 11 and never received her letter, then she could possibly have suppressed any magic in her that she may have had (I guess this could work even if she was Lily's older sister). If Petunia is magical somehow, it lends itself to say that Dudley saw the Dementors as a possible squib, BUT he wouldn't suspect that, and would believe Harry had cast a spell on him. I do agree that what Dudley saw, means the bad memories. HHHH What if his bad memories are of his mother doing magic in secret!!

Now, for my thoughts on the other possibilities...Dudley would use magic to get back at Harry, and to bully others, if he ever accepted the fact of course. Vernon would probably go insane if he discovered he had his own magic.
Filch...well...I think he has put in too much effort for it to actually amount to anything. And if someone else late in life does it, it would fuel Filch with jealousy AGAIN.

Oh...lol it could be Lockhart...maybe he regains his memory or something...

Mrs Figg is likely also, but a squib is a squib. A non magical person from two wizarding parents, right? So any trace, even the slightest, would have to be noticed as a child?

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
It was Morope.

It is said, plainly, by Dumbledore, that her magic was not much while she was terrorised by her father, but once she was free of him and her brother, she could do it.
I mean, her own father was calling her a squib, which tells me that she could barely do any magic, at all.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
kashlie said:
It was Morope.

It is said, plainly, by Dumbledore, that her magic was not much while she was terrorised by her father, but once she was free of him and her brother, she could do it.
I mean, her own father was calling her a squib, which tells me that she could barely do any magic, at all.
Somewhat agreed - although as I said in another post she could do magic - but was not too good based on her fathers constant bullying - as such I took JKR's comments to mean someone who has never done magic ...

Snuffles

the keepr of the Veil
Uh.... would I get some "you're-nuts-remark" when I say....

Dudley would be a wizard!!!! :p

no, seriously. i think that is possible. ;)
One of the fans mentioned this idea in another site, and JKR commented, "a fun idea."
Just suppose.. Dudley with his fat bottoms, swinging his way to the Sorting Hat. :p

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I loved the idea of Dudders being a wizard too, but JKR has said there is no more to Dudley than what we've already been told :(

Diddy Dunkems misses out, I'm afraid...although it would have been cool to see Harry get to pick on him for a change

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
kashlie said:
I loved the idea of Dudders being a wizard too, but JKR has said there is no more to Dudley than what we've already been told :(

Diddy Dunkems misses out, I'm afraid...although it would have been cool to see Harry get to pick on him for a change
Yah was about to say that as well - this is also makes me wonder if Petunia isnt as well - we know that Harry isnt going to be around the Dursley's too much in book 7 - I think there is a few loose ends to tie up and that will be done so the story can move on ... making Petunia the person to do magic late in life would make her and the Dursley's quite important in book 7.

Boing

Pops in randomly
But JKR said in the same interview that there is more to Petunia than we know already. She said she isn't a Squib, but that is the right thinking . . . then she said she was giving too much away and she had to stop. She has also said that while we wouldn't see much of the Dursleys in HBP, we would see much more of them in the last book . . . fuels the fire for Petunia a bit more . . .:D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think I need to go re-read interviews :p
See I got the feeling from Harry he was intending to make the visit to the Dursley's a 'flier' as in stick head in door - maybe sleep overnight then go hunting Horcruxes.
I suppose given what we saw in HBP and the DE's are coming more into the Muggle world - might be plausible Harry has a welcome party when he gets back there :p

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
Can you imagine uncle Vernon's face!.Still what did you think of page 58 H.B.P. ;
" None of the dursleys said anything. Dudley was frowning slightly, as though he was still trying to work out when he had ever been mistreated. Uncle Vernon looked as though he had something stuck in his throat; AUNT PETUNIA, HOWEVER, WAS ODDLY FLUSHED."
This could mean guilt over mistreating Harry, or embarrasment, but maybe something more.....:cool: