Malfoy: Waring Hermione?

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Malfoy: Warning Hermione?

In this passage, we see Malfoy being the normal spoilt brat that he is. But if we look a bit close that he actually warns Hermione to get away from the DE several times. Is this just him being obnoxious, or is he actually trying to help her, while covering it up with his usual attitude?

What I think is that while Draco may dislike muggles, and even muggle-borns, he doesn't want to see them die or tortured, or he at least is not sure yet whether they deserve it. Basically, throughout the books so far, he is a mini Lucius. I think that he may be developing his own ideas and though while he can't voice them aloud yet, he is trying to give a subtle warning....

GoF said:
“Well, with feet that size, hard not to,” said a drawling voice from behind them. Harry, Ron, and Hermione turned sharply. Draco Malfoy was standing alone nearby, leaning against a tree, looking utterly relaxed. His arms folded, he seemed to have been watching the scene at the campsite through a gap in the trees. Ron told Malfoy to do something that Harry knew he would never have dared say in front of Mrs. Weasley.
“Language, Weasley,” said Malfoy, his pale eyes glittering. “Hadn’t you better be hurrying along, now? You wouldn’t like her spotted, would you?” He nodded at Hermione, and at the same moment, a blast like a bomb sounded from the campsite, and a flash of green light momentarily lit the trees around them.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” said Hermione defiantly.
“Granger, they’re after Muggles, “said Malfoy. “D’you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around. . . they’re moving this way, and it would give us all a laugh.”
“Hermione’s a witch,” Harry snarled.
“Have it your own way, Potter,” said Malfoy, grinning maliciously. “If you think they can’t spot a Mudblood, stay where you are.”
“You watch your mouth!” shouted Ron. Everybody present knew that “Mudblood” was a very offensive term for a witch or wizard of Muggle parentage.
“Never mind, Ron,” said Hermione quickly, seizing Ron’s arm to restrain him as he took a step toward Malfoy. There came a bang from the other side of the trees that was louder than anything they had heard. Several people nearby screamed. Malfoy chuckled softly.
“Scare easily, don’t they?” he said lazily. “I suppose your daddy told you all to hide? What’s he up to - trying to rescue the Muggles?”
“Where’re your parents?” said Harry, his temper rising. “Out there wearing masks, are they?”
Malfoy turned his face to Harry, still smiling.
“Well. . . if they were, I wouldn’t be likely to tell you, would I, Potter?”
“Oh come on,” said Hermione, with a disgusted look at Malfoy, “let’s go and find the others.”
“Keep that big bushy head down, Granger,” sneered Malfoy.

That's at least four times that Malfoy told Hermione to keep out of the way so that they didn't get her. I can't help but think that if it is repeated that many times in such a small space that there might be something to it....

Fleur

~ aUzZiE tErRoR ~
You know, I always thought Malfoy liked Hermione. He just picked on her way too much. It reminded me of primary school when boys would always tease the girls they liked...

And then there's my compatibility theory which gives Hermione and Draco an 87% compatibility...

Hmmm...who knows, nothing is impossible

Boing

Pops in randomly
Have we seen other places where he has done the same thing? I could see him not wanting to harm anyone, but I'm just not sure he's swooning over her, you know? It would be a big twist in the stories, though.

Four times in one place, though. That makes you think. I'll have to go back to the books and see if there are other places he subtly warns Hermione about stuff (like in CoS maybe) . . .

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
You know that is kinda twisted :p

I can see your point thou - it seems like a consistant passage where it can be seen as him being all smarmy - but read another way could be him trying to protect her :eek:
JKR at face value says him smarmy ... but taking a step back it is like a repressed crush!

When you are around that age - you arent exactly gonna come straight out and say what you think and feel ... you do it in a less direct way ...
Then of course we have her punching him in PoA ... not exactly her returning the love ... ;)
All the same - as dark as it seems - it would be right :eek: - I hope not!

I don't think it necessarily means Malfoy likes Hermione. He could just not want to see something bad happen to someone he knows. Of course on face value, he doesn't like Hermione, but that doesn't mean he wants harm to come to her. If there was a fire and someone who annoyed me was in the building, I would warn them if I could. Just because they irritate me doesn't mean they have to die.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OhHh - you mean this is the supressed nice side of Draco?
You think he could be mellowing with age and looking for more stimulating company that Crabb and Goyle?
Yah - I think he has done the evil lil crap thing long enough and I suppose he wants what most people do - acceptance ...
We covered this in another thread about if Draco could redeem - well could this be a little twinkle of light?
Perhaps he does like her - and he realises she wont go near him while he continues down his current path..

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Blaise said:
Yah - I think he has done the evil lil crap thing long enough and I suppose he wants what most people do - acceptance ...
We covered this in another thread about if Draco could redeem - well could this be a little twinkle of light?
Perhaps he does like her - and he realises she wont go near him while he continues down his current path..

I would think that if he was sick of it, he might have changed a bit since then, he hasn't. In OotP, he is still a jerk, if not more of one. I think that he may have a crush on Hermione, but I don't think that he has any reason to change just yet....

Kingsley

Time Turners
Meredith said:
I don't think it necessarily means Malfoy likes Hermione. He could just not want to see something bad happen to someone he knows. Of course on face value, he doesn't like Hermione, but that doesn't mean he wants harm to come to her. If there was a fire and someone who annoyed me was in the building, I would warn them if I could. Just because they irritate me doesn't mean they have to die.

didnt he say he hoped Hermione was next to die in book 2 --when he was talking to Harry and Ron(Crabbe and goyle)

Or was that only in the movie--either way I dont know if he wants to see her protected either

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
I also think that Draco has a huge crush on Hermione - the fact that he is constantly having a go at her or talking about mudbloods is because he feels he cannot suppress his feelings any longer, he needs a 'get out clause' and by appearing to hate her, he is able to continue thinking and talking about her without arousing suspicion! (Not that Crabbe and Goyle would understand that anyways!)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think Draco is entering a change - I think with his Dad being locked away he is going to be vunerable and might even feel some isolation.
His arrogance will soon start to dwindle in favour of being more mainstream - he is getting older and the retribution will be replaced by the usual teen feelings - one of acceptance, fitting in and of course - dating :p
In order for him to do this with a little choice - he will undergo a personality change that will also see him become less intolerant of Harry - and perhaps some small bridges being built ... especially if he does fancy Hermione - forbidden friut and all - she is a Muggle!

Brycen05

Time Turners
I think that Draco might have just appeared really nasty to everyone else. Remember in Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone when he was nice and cool with Harry when they first ment. Then, later in thier conversation, he flipped. He's probably trying to fulfill some standard set by his father. In regards to Hermione, I think that Draco likes her, but is too afraid to show it because of the reputation he started and is pressured to keep. Everyone always thinks the worst of Draco, but I don't think he has a choice. :rolleyes: :cool:

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
You think he has a reputation to protect then?
I think that is true of when he was younger - but now his attentions are turning like most young guys and I think if he does like Hermione - he would be more inclined to change in order to get the woman - but I tell you what - Imagine Ron's response if he found out Malfoy fancied Hermione :eek:

Atticus

Time Turners
I am shuddering at the fact that this went from "warning her" to "wanting to date her."

I think that Draco and his history are far too confirmed and set in thier ways to allow for the sorts of things you guys are talking about. Jealousy, sure, but only because she is so much smarter than he is. I think the deep-seated hatred and elitism is not likely to fade.

I really do feel that Draco was raised to beleive all the mudbloods should be rooted out, and Hermione is a part of that.

I think that in this or book 7, Draco might have to do some real soul searching, but it won't be for the purpose of pursuing Hermione. It will be in forcing himself to work with her, Harry and Ron.

I understand that my extreme protectiveness of Hermione's character may shade my interpretation, but I really do feel that the shipper aspect is wholly inapplicable to this situation.

Thoughts? Flames? Chocolates?

atticus

Fizzle Snap

Time Turners
i like the forbidden fruit idea... it's something that wouldn't have been in evidence in the earlier books, but let's face it... i hear a few things change when you hit that puberty stuff.

also, if you were surrounded by the likes of crabbe and goyle all the time, wouldn't you wish for the kind of friendships you saw between hermione and the boys? he may not necessarily want to date hermione, but i think he wishes he had something like what he sees in her.

but then again, i also think Dumbledore has the hots for Poppy...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think I am looking at it along the lines of Draco is going to rebel - he is going to do the exact opposite of what Daddy wants and as such Hermione as a partner would cause such uproar - imagine bringing her home to meet the folks :D
It does sound a little shippy I suppose - although personally I am not into that - I think it would be another path along the way for Draco to fall inline and become a friend to Harry and not rival ... it would offer a good incentive at least ...

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Fizzle Snap said:
i like the forbidden fruit idea... it's something that wouldn't have been in evidence in the earlier books, but let's face it... i hear a few things change when you hit that puberty stuff.

also, if you were surrounded by the likes of crabbe and goyle all the time, wouldn't you wish for the kind of friendships you saw between hermione and the boys? he may not necessarily want to date hermione, but i think he wishes he had something like what he sees in her.

but then again, i also think Dumbledore has the hots for Poppy...

LMAO Fizzy - the mind boggles with Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey!!

I totally agree with the bit about Draco having crap friendships when you look at what he has - Crabbe and Goyle - not exactly scintilating conversation, would never challenge Draco on any of his decisions (like both Ron and Hermione do with Harry) and they are not so much worried about what Draco would do if they did not comply, but perhaps with the consequences for their fathers from Lucius.

Fizzle Snap

Time Turners
"It's lucky it's dark...I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."
–Dumbledore

Dumbledore is also the only character that i can remember having addressed Mme. Pomfrey as "Poppy"....

face it, even dumbledore's not immune... and then there's the phoenix and the "bumblebee" thing... birds and bees... whoa... this is heavy stuff.

I'll stop now, i'm getting really deep...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
*cough* Off topic alert *cough* ;)

Malfoy has to find a target of his affections at some point - his hormones will demand it - and I am sure he is going to aim for something that isnt easy - I still think it would be twisted for him to make a play for Hermione - imagine if she falls for it and then turns out Malfoy was just joking - now that sounds like him ;)

Brycen05

Time Turners
That would be a great twist. I mean if this happened, but then, his joke turned genuine, and there comes to always be some sort of tension between him and Hermione that could start to play w/ his conciece. I know it's hard to c but everyone has one.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Hey you know they often say hate turns to love - and she did lump him a good one in PoA - perhaps that is when he got his affections towards her - because she schooled him in front of his friends :D

Give all the spec about her and Ron and her and Harry - and even her and Krumm - would be sweet if JKR's ultimate take was to have her hook up with Draco ;)