merope

happy_hannah

Time Turners
first of all i have to say i am fascinated by the character of merope, and i really hope we learn more about her

but i have a theory...

when dumbledore comes to tell young voldemort he is a wizard, voldemort remarks that his mother couldnt be a wizard because 'she died,' what do you guys think is the reason voldemort thinks death is so horrible? something that happened to him in the orphanage perhaps?

also..

I think while merope was giving birth to voldemort she sort of cursed him in a way so that he would not understand/feel human emotions properly/at all, because she was so upset about tom riddle not loving her back and she didnt want her child to feel pain like that. and maybe the curse involved sacrificing herself?

i probably didnt explain that very well, but im open for discussion

Piper

Time Turners
There is kind of another thread on this, look for Voldermort & Love. The consensus there was that most likely Voldermort's inability to love is kind of a side effect of the Love Potion that Merope was giving to Riddle. No one there mentioned the possibility of a curse though.

I think if she cursed him, because she did not want him to feel pain, that would be an act of love toward him, and I believe that he has never been shown any love at all. I think if it were that she cursed him, it would have been because she hated him, didn't want the baby since she couldn't have his father.

Whatever caused his lack of the ability to love, I think having Harrys blood in his veins showed him how love feels. In OotP, he felt love when he was posessing Harry in the Ministry of Magic, Harry was thinking something like, kill me now, make it end, then I will see Sirius again, and voldermort made a hasty retreat once Harry thought of Sirius. Then we did not see Voldermort enter Harry's mind again. I don't know that Voldermort will ever love anyone himself, but through Harry I think he will see what he has missed, and really regret it terribly.

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
I think Voldemort also has issues related to genetics. Merope and her brother obiviously were inbred and I am sure Merope had genetic related handicaps which could be passed on to her son. Lack of emotion being one of them. (I know there is a proper name for this condition but I can't think of it right off hand.)

Plus he was raised without family. He was cared for physically but not mentally. That will take a toll on a person, especially if that person already had a handicap of sorts. He was resentful as he grew older because he felt abandoned by his family.

I think when he found out he was "special" was when he showed the most emotion. At last he was "somebody" and not just another orphan. It put into motion the need to be the best and the most powerful.

Last edited:

Piper

Time Turners
I don't even feel confident that we could say that his physical needs were met, because Mrs Cole was shown to be a drunk really.

Whenever babies are neglected, they can just stop crying, and if it is bad enough and long enough, they can grow up without any empathy at all also.

Good point on the possible effects of inbreeding. Clearly Morphin was not all there, but Merope was clever enough to possibly brew, or atleast obtain and use the love Potion on Tom Riddle Sr. We weren't ever told whether or not she had attended Hogwarts were we? Her father certainly expected her to be able to do magic, and was clearly disappointed with the results.

gbogbo

Time Turners
You might want to check out the thread about Merope, Tom Riddle, and its connections to Oedipus. Truly great insights by Blanche A. McFusty!

happy_hannah

Time Turners
maybe 'cursed' was the wrong word to use , maybe cast a spell, enchantment of some sort? but i strongly think that merope had something to do with voldemorts current state. maybe voldemort will be defeated the same way a boggart is by laughter, seeing as he cant handle emotions. i cant find that other forum, and here i was thinking i alone had figured out this genius theory

Piper

Time Turners
Hannah,

Now I like the idea of Voldermort becoming, lets say "Magically Impotent", when Harry feels love:) That is a Genuis Theory:) Especially with Ginny in the picture all year the way that she was, it would have been no wonder that Voldermort closed off his mind:)

The other thread is called Merope/another prophecy, you can find it by using the Search tab above. Or just search for Oedipus.

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
Last night in my CASA class we discussed attachment disorders. They range in severity but the most severe cases are what had me thinking this morning when I read this post.

Basically if a child is left without a primary care giver to bond with from birth to age two the child will be left without trust in anyone and will realize that no one will help him or her with their needs and they must do it alone.

Severe attachment disorder is characterized by: the tendancy to become emotionless, distrustful, lacking a conscience, sadistic behavior,cruelty to those weaker than them and on the surface very charming to get want they want. They also have a "I can do it myself" attitude and do not want anyone to help them.

Sounds a lot like our buddy Voldemort.

Last edited:

happy_hannah

Time Turners
thats really interesting, and it fits the description of voldemort perfectly, especially when dumbledore first meets him and how he behaved at school

Piper

Time Turners
There was a movie on Lifetime about a little girl who had this. They were eventually able to reach her with therapy, I am pretty sure it was based on a true story, but I don't think that JKR is planning for Voldemort to be reached.

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
I saw that movie. It was based on a true story.

No at this point Voldy is long past therapy.

In our class we also learned that a lot of the serial killers had this disorder. If it is not picked up early it is nearly impossible to "fix" especially once they become adults.