Percy = the modern Tom Riddle????

catchthesnitch

Curious Yellow
In reading CoS again, I'm noticing a disturbing pattern.

Twice in this book, Ron jokes that Percy sounds like Tom Riddle:

He sounds like Percy, said Ron, wrinkling his nose in disgust. Prefect, Head Boy, probably the top of every class... Chapter 13

Ron tried a different tack. "Riddle does sound like Percy -- who asked him to squeal on Hagrid anyway?

And we all know what happens when Ron jokes about something....

Also Malfoy says that Percy is out to do what Tom Riddle supposedly did:

I've noticed him sneaking around a lot lately. And I bet I know what he's up to. He thinks he's going to catch Slytherin's heir single handed. Chapter 12

I haven't found more yet but I'm wondering what this means. Will Percy Weasley have something to do with Tom Riddle/Voldemort in the future? Will Percy turn out to be the next big great dark wizard? I don't think so but I can't help seeing this pattern.

Fleur

~ aUzZiE tErRoR ~
Hmm, very intersting theory...and one i like a lot. I mean, Percy does sound a lot like Riddle...and if VOldy needs someone on the inside then who better for it then someone who was like him at the same age? If VOldy can get to Percy while he's estranged from his family....and then convince Percy to play spy...well, Molly will welcome him back no questions asked, and tell him everything he wants to know about the Order....

Hmmm...could have a backstabbing contest going on in future books, me thinks....

Boing

Pops in randomly
Wow, that is an interesting catch. For it to be mentioned multiple times usually means there is something to it. I think the links between Riddle and Percy can also be seen in the way Percy seems hungry for power. The big difference I see is that Percy just idolizes those with power and wants to be in a position of power, but doesn't actively go out and get it. He is more of a follower than a leader, so I think if we are to see a relationship develop between the two, it will most likely be that Percy ends up following Voldemort's (or a DE's) orders thinking he is on his way to power.

I can see his judgment being blinded by the promise of a prominent position in the Ministry or something similar.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that is a scary catch!
Well done!

What scares me the most is Ron joked about it - and mentioned it twice - that is not a good sign!
OK - let me think about this one ...
If we are talking Riddle - then we are talking past ...
Does that mean perhaps another step Voldemort took long ago - because this isnt quite long ago - this would have been a trip forward in time - and that is just far too scary to consider!
Gosh - more thought needed ... I mean I dont want to buy into implicating him just yet ... I would be interested in others thoughts!

Seems to have gone from possible hero of the order to Pettigrew number 2 in the matter of a few days :eek:

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
I think I would have dismissed this had it not been for the fact that Ron has mentioned it twice, and being of the (by now popular) opinion that Ron has some Seer within him, I think that this can not be cast aside!

It is also interesting to note that JKR says during an interview on the PoA DVD that some stuff in the movie actually gives hints as to the next two books, and I think some stuff about Ron in divination does this!!!

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
CTS said:
He sounds like Percy, said Ron, wrinkling his nose in disgust. Prefect, Head Boy, probably the top of every class... Chapter 13

Ron tried a different tack. "Riddle does sound like Percy -- who asked him to squeal on Hagrid anyway?

And we all know what happens when Ron jokes about something....

The only problem that I have with this is that it doesn't come off to me that Ron is joking in at least one of the situations. He may have been being sarcastic in the first quote, and that is a form of humor. But in the second quote I think he is being entirely honest in his incredulity of the two sounding alike, and that Riddle would actually turn Hagrid in...

Kingsley

Time Turners
Wow so many Percy haters :rolleyes:
Ok let me say that Percy could be the next Riddle but I just dont personally buy it-
Being a huge Ron fan like Tink, I believe in the seer thing but Percy doesnt seem like the person to go to any means for power--
He seems to be attrated to power though--I see to much hatred towards evildoers for him to be the next Riddle and Percy is not a killer :D

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Yup, Weasley is our King alright!!!

Percy may be a bit of a nerd, but I also don't think he has evil in him as much as an excess of wanting to do the right thing. He may be incredibly clever, but doesn't seem to have an ounce of common sense in him, and evilness does not seem to be an emotion/feeling/whatever you want to call it that Percy would entertain.

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
I like to play Devils Advocate, so I will disagree here, even though I started the "Percy is a spy" thread :p

I can see where most say that it seems that Percy only wants what is right, and that he is trying to stick to the rules, but he breaks a few rules as well. The "rules" I am talking about are unwritten and unspoken. Ones like "You don't disown your entire family over an argument", "Don't make your mother cry, and if you do, apologise immediately", and "If you're father is near death in the hospital, visit him, whether you would like to see the rest of your family or not. These may not be rules by common definition, but they are what is right, and Percy went against the grain of what was the right thing to do concerning his family, being downright cruel sometimes (slamming the door in Molly's face, sending back the Christmas gifts she sent, etc). I am not saying that this constitutes him being evil, but I do think it deserves a bit of speculation....

Tonks

Unspeakable
Well, first I have to definitely agree with Boing about Percy being power-hungry. However, I do see him as a bit of a leader. Sure, he is a follower when he is working for the Ministry, but that is because he just wants to be promoted and get more power for himself.

But still, while I'd kind of like Percy to turn bad, I'd like to quote Hagrid on something ...
"There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin."

The fact that Percy was in Gryffindor, and not in Slytherin, makes me think that he just may turn out alright after all. Sure, he might be power hungry and he may hate all the things concerning Muggles that his father loves, but in general, he probably isn't going to turn into this traitorous Death Eater. Also, he may be smart, but I don't think he's as bright as Tom Riddle was - not by a long shot.

Still, maybe Hagrid is just basing this on his personal experiences and observations and not on any actual fact. He's been wrong about things before -- I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Raxhanne

Time Turners
I noticed this pattern, too, but not as much in CoS as in OotP. I posted about seeing Percy as a future death eater over at another board not too long ago, and it seemed like I upsetted the people there quite a lot.

While I can't see Percy as "the next Tom Riddle", I can definitely see him as a future Death Eater. As some of you already said, he is power-hungry, and willing to do much to gain power for himself. When he got his job at the Ministry, he was obsessed with his work, and he is not less so now. Also, remember that he was reading a book called "Prefects who gained power" in Cos? So yes, power-hungry is the right word.

As for his ideas about always following the rules, maybe this is just his way to prove himself and show how much power he has on his hands? Kind of like he enforces rules all the time just because he can, if that makes sense to anyone?

Also - JKR likes to surprise the readers, and a Weasley Death Eater would fit nicely with that :p

CrookshanksKitty

Time Turners
I don’t think Percy is evil. Ron always makes comments about how poor his family is. “I hate being poor” in GoF and “Why is everything I own rubbish?” Not to mention the taunting he has taken from people like the Malfoys. Maybe Percy has gone through this process as well. As a result he is determined to gain power and I think more importantly respect. He is always striving at the ministry make himself indispensable and associate himself with the people in power. Remember, his family was causing him a lot of embarrassment for disagreeing with the ministry over the whole Voldemorte returns issue. It is hard to be taken seriously when people are casting aspersions on where your loyalty is. While I don’t agree that disinheriting your family is the way to distance yourself, maybe this was the only way he saw to accomplish his goals.
Riddle seems to me to be more of a loner grabbing at power while Percy follows those in power. In CoS riddle says he has no where to go if the school closed. Percy will always have someplace to go and the support of his family (at least his mother) so I don't seem him as being the next Riddle.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think we need to take into account Percy's current status post OoTP ...
He got it wrong - and in a bad way ...
He alienated himself from family and friends and his reward was to be made to look a fool like his boss ...
Someone like him - so full of pride and need to be successful - well it would appear logical to me he walks the same path as a DE and will be inducted ...
Only thing I can think against it - he is a rules man - he always was and probably always will be ...
I think he could detour and walk the DE path - but at some point he will realise he is wrong and will be the moment he redeems himself and probably killed ...
I don't see him as a Dark Leader - more a powerful supporter - until is common sense cuts in and then he will revert back to the rulebook - snap out of it ...

Fizzle Snap

Time Turners
i can't see it, man... the next tom riddle? maybe... but DE? no.

I think it will be worse than that... he's the next Umbridge... eeeevil to the core, but an independent agent. think about it! he's even in love with fudge, just like umbridge.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Percy has nowhere to turn - we know how pig headed he is - where can he go to try salvage the pride?
I'm not saying he will go in full head on - I think he might be drawn in - not a direct recruitment - he seems to straight laced - but I think he can be tricked ...
He will try desperately to save some face after the humiliation he endured in OoTP ... just a way he can try and feel powerful - even if it is wrong - he is smart and will see it - probably too late ...

Sirius-fan-forever

Time Turners
I think Percy's doesn't have the evil in him that was in Riddle. Afterall, he comes from a pretty happy and well adjusted family. But he is power hungry and maybe he can be led astray. Actually, I see him more similar to his mentor Mr. Crouch than Tom Riddle. But we know even that kind of power and discipline can turn bad. I guess I never really loved him a character even before Ootp but I do hope he redeems himself after what he saw happen to Crouch.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I like that!
It is kinda true - Riddle has the worse upbringing - and JKR even said he doesn't know love - whereas Percy is just a cretin of the highest order ...
But what Percy has is a lot of pride - unless he can suck it up and admit he is wrong - then he is capable of anything to salvage his pride ... that is the only way I can see him suppressing his regard of the rules in favour of evil acts ...

HPfan4ever

Time Turners
I can't really see Percy as the next Tom Riddle though I have to agree with you guys in saying that he is power-hungry. He can redeem himself. Maybe if he has better role models in the ministry, then he can become like them too. That leads into the new minister of magic.

Percy is intelligent but I don't see him using the love that he was brought up with. He doesn't seem to take him family into value. It will take time for him to realize that family is more important than family but I think that Percy will not follow the evil way. Especially with Fudge not being the minister of magic anymore.

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Wow!! This is the first time I have been in this thread for a while, and there are some very wild theories here guys!!

I am not sure about Percy becoming a Death Eater - I don't think that his pursuit of power goes as deep as that, and agree that his 'evilness' is not that extreme.

Poor Percy is seen as such a nerd, perhaps it is thought that because of his apparent lack of common sense, that his emotional ties to his family have been completely lost too and this will lead to his turning to the dark side...??

Sirius-fan-forever

Time Turners
I still believe Percy has time to reform. I don't think he would go as far as to become a DE. Although anything is possible, I think there's sort of a continuum, with DE's on one end of the scale and people obsessive with rules and regulation like percy and crouch on the other end. I just don't see him switching sides very easily...maybe unknowingly??