Petunia to Use Magic

Will Petunia Be the One to Use Magic Late in Life?

• Yup. It's a given. She's a witch. She's a witch!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Nope. No chance of it. She's Muggle to the core.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Boing

Pops in randomly
Voted: YES

Reasoning:

I just really like this idea that Petunia is the one to use magic late in life. I think perhaps it will factor into what we find out about her relationship with Lily and what happened when they were younger. I just think it would be a fantastic turn of events to have Petunia, one of the "worst sorts of Muggles imaginable" use magic. Also, JKR has laid a foundation for her in terms of knowing more than a regular Muggle about the wizarding world.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Voted: YES

Reasoning:

There is something about Petunia and we all know it.
I think the main thing to bring this out in her is if her family come under direct attack.
She took Harry in because it meant she would be safe - if this safety was ever compromised then I think it will bring out of her something - and I think that is magic!

Tonks

Unspeakable
Voted:

No

Reasoning:

Well, I'm not completely against it, but I just really don't see Petunia being one to start to do magic. It would completely go against everything she's said all her life (or since Harry was born anyway) and Vernon would have a heart attack to think that she isn't completely against any and all things magical. I think that there are several others who have a bit more potential to perform magic late in life..

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Voted: Yes

Reasoning: There is definitely something simmering beneath that 'perfect neighbour' facade that Petunia works very hard at, and the real hatred/fear that both she and Vernon show towards the wizarding world must mean something - it is a common theme in the world that if you fear something, you oppose anything that it stands for.

Think that in the next couple of weeks we are likely to find out some more about this!

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Voted:

Yes

Reasoning:

I was unsure of either answer as there are arguments to both. The No answer included she was a Muggle/Squib - JKR said she is definitely not a Squib so that sort of threw me.

I voted yes with hesitation, only because it would seem that if she did have any magical powers that it would be known. The Hogwarts book keeps track of all children born with magical powers, so wouldn't Dumbledore know if Petunia's name was in the book even if she hadn't shown any sign of magical power up until now? It would seem that her dormant magical talents would still be present at the time of her birth and she would be recorded as all other magical children are.

Snuffles

the keepr of the Veil
Naw.. .she's either a muggle or a Squib.
She never got that letter from Hogwarts and she was always jealous of Lily for being able to use magic--thus hating the whole magic community.

Boing

Pops in randomly
Okay, I edited the "squib" out of that option, so now she's either a witch or a Muggle. Carry on! :D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Didnt JKR say that Petunia will not be the one to do magic or something?
I am taking it from your edit that you are responding on a more recently refreshed data that I might have forgotton :eek:
There was something over Christmas ... ok shutting up :eek:

halliemei

Time Turners
Alz, you are correct -- on her own website. So, I *kinda* cheated -- voted No. Easy when you know the answer. ;) ;) ;)

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I previously voted yes back some time ago, but saw that JKR blew that thought out of the water. So it makes me wonder who it is that will use magic late in life. My bet is on Mrs. Figg, but it will probably be Filtch. Maybe his mail order magic lessons will pay off.

Tonks

Unspeakable
Mwah ha ha. *Insert smug look here.*

.. although it would have been interesting, and quite hilarious to see Vernon's face when she did some spells. It would at least explain the clean freakedness of her house.

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I am still up in the air on this one. JKR did say Petunia wasn't a squib, but during the Harry, Carrie and Garp thing, she said Petunia would surprise everyone in the end. Does that mean she will use magic, or is there another surprise Petunia will level on Harry during his last stay at the Dursleys? I wish she (JKR) would make up my mind! :D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
JKR did say Petunia will never do magic - so it isnt that what we will all be suprised about ... I'm favouring a soap ending and saying she is really Harry's mother :eek: ;)