Possible Locations? ***SPOILERS***

Boing

Pops in randomly
After having read the details about what horcruxes are, I started to wonder if perhaps we've seen some of the items before in the storyline.

One of the first thoughts that came to mind as I was reading the book was that perhaps Voldemort had used a human as a horcrux. And that the human in question was Lily.

This would explain why he asked her to step aside a couple times before finally giving in. It's possible he was trying to save part of his soul because he knew if she died, it went with her.

Does anyone else have theories as to where the others might be located or any thoughts on this completely random speculation of mine? :D

Nagini

Time Turners
I love the fact that he may have used Nagini, but am reluctant to believe he would have used Lily. I don't think he trusted anyone that is human and didn't hesitate to kill Lily when it came down to it. So not sure if he would put a part of his soul inside her.

As for locations of possible horcruxes, I think Harry may be on to something by visiting Godrics Hollow. I know fans have been wanting to catch a glimpse of it in this book. Sadly we'll probably have to wait another two years.

Wasn't it mentioned in one of the books that Voldemort spent some time in Egypt? Perhaps he left a horcrux there?

Or Romania. I was thinking he would want to keep them far apart. But I also wondered if there was one in the Chamber of Secrets. Or taking the 'trophy' literally - his trophy for 'Special Services to the School'? DD and Harry didn't think to look right under their very noses.

kaz

Professor of Potterology
Excellent idea mm! The trophy in the school is a great idea! I think Harry has a bit in him. I think he is the Griffindor part!

Nimue

Up to no good...
Well Harry as the horcruxe would be interesting. But wouln't that mean he has to destroy himself?

Any theories as to who the identity of the locket thief is? And who replaced the liquid in the container it was stored in? Was that even the original boobytrap?

(too many questions--not nearly enough answers)

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I think Dumbledore may have been the Gryffindor Horcrux. The only other known relic of Godric Gryffindor was the sword, in DD's office. I don't know how Voldemort could have made Dumbledore one...
As for Harry being one, that wouldn't make the prophecy ring true. If Harry is the sixth Horcux, then he must die before Voldemort could be killed, but who would kill him? It would mean that Harry couldn't kill Voldemort at all, but he would just slip back out of the body and be doomed to a half-life until Harry dies.

So, we had the locket and the diary...but now I can't remember what the other Horcuxes were...lol...

Helga's teacup was the other possibility, plus the one in the ring which has been destroyed, which leaves 3 for Harry to find.

Looking at the "trophy" angle again - who else has Voldemort killed that would mean enough to him to use something of theirs as a horcrux?

His father & grandparents?
James & Lily?

It would have to be a significant death, are there any others?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OK - am loving Lily and also Harry as Horcruxes ... think about it ...
Dumbledore already said that Riddle was mad to split his soul is so many ways - making him a mere shadow of himself - why not place it in Lily during a thrice defied moment - and then kill it when it came between him and the ultimate target?
We know strange things happened after this and he attacked Harry ...
Harry well him as a horcrux would be very interesting - and might explain why JKR says Harry might die ... he needs to to kill Voldemort 100% ...
If you think about it - Voldemort making Harry a horcrux meant that he couldnt fail - because If Harry did kill him - he would always exist in Harry - and if Harry died - then the prophecy issue was sorted in his head ...

Then - my next fav is Neville - Neville was made a horcrux!
Might explain why the DE's were sent to the Longbottoms - and why the memories of the Longbottoms is mush ...
Voldemort may have marked both Harry and Neville in a strange kind of way - and can you imagine Harry having to kill Neville? :eek:

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Blaise said:
OK - am loving Lily and also Harry as Horcruxes ... think about it ...
Dumbledore already said that Riddle was mad to split his soul is so many ways - making him a mere shadow of himself - why not place it in Lily during a thrice defied moment - and then kill it when it came between him and the ultimate target?

I see Lily as a possibility, but I don't see why Voldemort would use a person as a person can die. Why use something that can die when you are trying to make yourself immortal? Nagini is a possibility as we don't know what type of snake she is and how long she lives - the basilisk lived for hundreds of years - and as much as Nagini seems to be the only living creature that Voldemort respects, I'd say she is a big possibility.

Blasie said:
We know strange things happened after this and he attacked Harry ...
Harry well him as a horcrux would be very interesting - and might explain why JKR says Harry might die ... he needs to to kill Voldemort 100% ...
If you think about it - Voldemort making Harry a horcrux meant that he couldnt fail - because If Harry did kill him - he would always exist in Harry - and if Harry died - then the prophecy issue was sorted in his head ...

Voldemort wouldn't have used Harry as a horcrux as he knew his final action was to kill the boy, thus his bit of soul would be wasted. Once the attack was over, Vodemort couldn't even hold a wand so he didn't have the ability to split what part of his soul still in his possession.

Blaise said:
Then - my next fav is Neville - Neville was made a horcrux!
Might explain why the DE's were sent to the Longbottoms - and why the memories of the Longbottoms is mush ...
Voldemort may have marked both Harry and Neville in a strange kind of way - and can you imagine Harry having to kill Neville? :eek:

Dumbledore made it very clear that Voldemort did not share the information of his horcruxes with his Death Eaters - I'm not sure how Regulus Black would have found out about the horcrux in the cave, but it was pointed out that Voldemort would have kept the secret totally to himself. I don't think he would tell Bellatrix about them or entrust a bit of his soul for one of his Death Eaters to transplant for him.

SeleneBlack

Time Turners
Ever since OotP I've thought Harry had a bit of Voldemort's soul in him. When I read about horcruxes EVERYTHING fell into place. He has to be a Horcrux!

I agree with Blaise, Voldemort would have known that by making Harry a horcrux, the prophecy could not be true. "The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord" would have to kill himself first therefore not able to kill Voldemort. In essence, he has killed Harry, the only way for Harry to succeed is to die. What better trophy is there than the person prophecized to kill you?

I like the idea that Harry is the Gryffindor part, it gives more meaning to why Voldemort would have chosen Harry over Neville.

The only hitch in this theory is wondering how Voldemort's body was killed the night he attacked Harry. Someone else would have had to be the one to do it, someone else was there that night, maybe The Prince?

Another thought occurred to me, would it be possible to remove the soul from a Horcrux without destroying the object? Or possibly transfer the soul to a different object?

B

Buzzzz

Okay, this is interesting.

I don't see why he would put a part of his soul in a being. They could be killed, or try to kill themself... ect. Hang on, do you think the person would know if Voldemort put a part of his soul in them? I mean, would it be a thing that would make them uncomfortable or connected to him in a special way...?
If that was so, that they were like connected, I definantly don't think Voldemort would make Harry a horcrux. Why would he want the person he is trying to kill to be connected to him?
Hang on, what if the effect of having a part of Voldemorts soul in you is that you can be controlled by him... What if Dumbledore was a horcrux and he asked Snape to kill him because of that... and didn't want to tell Harry? Oh no, sorry that can't work... why would Voldemort want one of his horcruxes dead? Because he knew too much and was distroying his other horcruxes? Oh confusion...

I will run with this idea and also say that it would be very interesting if Neville was a horcrux, Harry and Neville fighting it out to the end... or maybe Neville would volenteer to be killed. I think I would if it depended on saving the world of wizardry. :)

kaz

Professor of Potterology
I was wondering the same thing Selene! Can a soul be extracted from a Horcrux without it being destroyed? I still think the scar, which I mentioned on another thread- and Dumbledore said in one of the books (PS/SS, I think) that he could remove the scar but sometimes scars can come in handy- I wonder if he already knew about Voldy splitting his soul and suspecting that he had passed a bit on to Harry when he failed to kill him? I don't think Voldy intentionally passed a part of his soul on to Harry- I think it happened when the curse backfired and Voldemort copped it.

My partner just had a really good theory... what if Lily was a Horcrux and passed a peice onto Harry when she was pregnant? Or Voldemort passed it onto Harry as an unborn child and knew that his parents would not want to destroy him- the love that his parents had for him would protect Voldemort's soul as they would not harm their child to remove it...and the scar was not from the curse hitting him- it was from the Horcrux leaving him- as we know the curse does not leave a mark (Oh, my Hubby is BRILLIANT!) His parents removed the Horcrux and Voldemort tracked them down because he was a cranky boy and tried to get it back- James and Lily said it was gone and Voldemort went ape and killed them. The reason he wanted Lily out of the way before he got to Harry was because she was the 'host' of the Horcrux removed from her son...

Forget my first part...LOL

Tonks

Unspeakable
LOL - expecting some annoyedness here and such but I really don't think it would make sense to have people as Horcruxes. Dumbledore said that having it as an animal is risky enough, but another person? Wow, I just think that would be wayyy too risky..

For one reason, they can think for themselves even more than animals can.. and I think it would be extremely weird if Neville was Horcrux.. we have never seen any strange behavior from Neville that borders evilness - I really think that even Harry is a longshot. Personally, I think that if another person was a Horcrux of Voldemort, they would realize that something was up with them and not act anywhere near normal..

Part of Voldemort's soul would have to be in them - I just find it hard to believe that this could happen and not be somehow outwardly obvious.. Also, wouldn't you think that if Harry or Neville or someone was a Horcrux, that piece of Voldemort's soul would have had some force on the brain and force them to go and find the actual Voldemort in Romania and get him back to power?

Ok, enough of that.. as for possible locations of Horcruxes, I really think that it would be some place of importance/significance to Voldemort, and probably not somewhere filled with bad memories. I originally thought of the orphanage, but he hated it there and that wouldn't make too much sense to me for him to hide a piece of his soul in a place he hated.

I think theres a possibility that there may be another one at Hogwarts, because he seemed to love it while he was there - although I don't know how he would manage to keep one hidden there right under Dumbledore's nose, especially when Dumbledore was searching for them. However, maybe there is one in the Chamber of Secrets. I think there's another possibility that maybe Voldemort hid one somewhere in Borgin & Burkes, because he worked there for awhile and seemed to like it and that just makes sense to me..

It seems that his first Horcrux was hidden at the site of his first murder. I don't know if he killed anyone at the cave, so no clues there, but it makes me wonder if some of the other horcruxes are hidden at murder sites.

And does anyone else find it so strange to think of Voldy having a job? :p

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
You know that is an excellent point!
We are always being told by JKR people that Voldemort has killed - what if the reason she is so insistant with names is that they will tie into locations or object we have read in other parts of the books?
I like it!

Tonks

Unspeakable
You know, there really could be a nice connection with Molly here. I believe it was Hagrid who told Harry that Voldemort "killed some of the best witches and wizards of the age - the Bones, the Prewetts" and there was some speculation, although I can't remember if it's been confirmed or not, about Molly's maiden name being Prewett and those deaths possibly being her brothers? I think they were members of the Order as well ..?

If so, maybe Harry will gain some information about this from the Weasley family, although I can't imagine Molly would like to discuss it.. and that could lead to another discovery, if they were such great wizards and we know Voldemort likes to use important deaths for these things..

Boing

Pops in randomly
It's not merely speculation, but JKR has said herself on her website,

JKR Extra Stuff About Weasleys said:
Before her marriage Mrs. Weasley was Molly Prewett. As you will note from chapter one, Philsopher's Stone, she has lost close family members to Voldemort.

I don't remember from OotP whether or not we saw the Prewetts in Mad-Eye Moody's photograph or not.

At any rate, I agree it is risky to put a horcrux into a person, but I think that Voldemort has done some pretty risky things in the past (or has not thought things through very well). I think this could lend itself to him perhaps putting a horcrux into a person if the person were considered a big enough "trophy".

Tonks

Unspeakable
Oh goody.. Thanks Boing! I thought so, I just couldn't remember if it was in a book or if she said or what - ;)

Yep, they were in the photograph Moody showed Harry:
OotP - Ch. 9: The Woes of Mrs. Weasley (US version p. 174)

. . . Elphias Doge, you've met him, I'd forgotten he used to wear that stupid hat . . . Gideon Prewett, it took five Death Eaters to kill him and his brother Fabian, they fought like heroes . . . budge along, budge along. . .
I was wondering, what kind of person could be considered a big enough trophy? I mean I'm sure turning someone over from the "good" side and making them into a Death Eater would do.. but even so I can't see Voldemort doing that - as you said, it's just really risky and these are pieces of his soul! I can't see him being risky about that..

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I would wake this one just to run a concept and get thoughts rather than start another thread :eek:

In another thread I made a guess that perhaps Voldemort placed his Horcrux in places that have been significant in his life ... The cave, the Gaunts house, chamber of secrets (not directly but knew it would lead back there) ...
Is it possible that if we can isolate or even find locations Voldemort has been mentioned as being that we might see clues to possible Horcrux locations?
My mind does cast to the vendetta he seems to be having against the McKinnons, Bones', & Prewett familes ... mentioned more that once across the books ;)

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
mimbulus mimbletonia said:
Or taking the 'trophy' literally - his trophy for 'Special Services to the School'? DD and Harry didn't think to look right under their very noses.
I really like this idea, I'm not sure why, but I do.

Also, we have all been talking about Voldemort making Horcruxes on his 'big' kills, or whatever. Could there be a horcrux at Godric's Hollow? The house is in ruins, and as far as we know, no one went back to sift through the ruins because they wouldn't have known there was anything to look for. Just a thought...

Personally, I think that making horcruxes on major "trophy' kills would be stupid. They would be so much easier to find, because everyone one knows about them. Why not make a horcrux out of something of Frank Bryce's, or Bertha Jorkins? Sure Harry knows about Frank Bryce being killed, and after a long time, it was figured out that Voldemort killed Bertha as well, but they are a lot less well known than the Potters, or the Prewetts, McKinnons, and Bones...